ABS

StreetFighter_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
What would it take to install the ABS system from the deluxe model and put it on the Standard model?

I imagine the computer would have to be changed or reflashed with the Deluxe firmware but, what else?
 
Just the ABS modulator alone is more than $1,000.

Code:
Tag Part # Description Price Our Price
8 57110-MGC-N31 MODULATOR ASSY. (MSDS) $1,334.18 $1,294.15
 
Plus the extra hoses, etc.
 
On the parts fiche the the ECU is called the PGM-FI Unit and list is ~615. The part number for the non ABS and ABS model is different. Here is a link to the?14 non ABS fiche. The ECU is in the Wiring Harness section.

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/52f28c10f870021404ec5a50/wire-harness

You can change year and model to see differences or look up parts. There are other parts sites on-line too.
 
I went back and looked at the 2013 ABS and NON abs ECU and it is the same part number. So in the example above, it may be a difference in the standard model and the deluxe.
 
I don't know. Doesn't the standard model have 5 speeds? The deluxe has 6. Maybe that? Are the instruments the same? I don't have have a wiring diagram for '14s so can't even look at that. Mine is a '13 non abs.
 
Thread starter
sourdough44_imp said:
Is the reason just because? Is it perceived as safer? Just wondering.
No I have had both bikes with and without ABS, the ABS is safer in some situations but, it is nice to have both experience and the advanced safety feature.

Personally, if Anyone has any deluxe models left I would have bought it.

Don't get me wrong, I like my bike and I'm getting a ton of parts for it but, I don't want to have to rebut the parts if I ever exchange it for a deluxe model down the road. Of course, that might just be the cheaper option.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I don't know. Doesn't the standard model have 5 speeds? The deluxe has 6. Maybe that? Are the instruments the same? I don't have have a wiring diagram for '14s so can't even look at that. Mine is a '13 non abs.
No the 14 models both had 6 gears.
Xyzzy_imp said:
Just the ABS modulator alone is more than $1,000.

Code:
Tag Part # Description Price Our Price
8 57110-MGC-N31 MODULATOR ASSY. (MSDS) $1,334.18 $1,294.15
So it is probably about the same price as just replacing the upgrades if I ever find a deluxe version for sale. :)
 
Streetfighter, I think I misunderstood sourdough's question as I thought it was directed at me. I DO know that ABS is safer. My dealer did not have one in '13 when they first hit the dealers. They only had one CB, non abs, and I bought it.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Streetfighter, I think I misunderstood sourdough's question as I thought it was directed at me. I DO know that ABS is safer. My dealer did not have one in '13 when they first hit the dealers. They only had one CB, non abs, and I bought it.
You like it overall?
 
Oh yeah! I LOVE it! :thumbsup:

The ABS model was hard to find when they first came out here. That and they didn't sell well in my area. My dealer replaced the one I bought and it is still on the showroom floor. Disclaimer: I did not check the other dealers except one and they didn't move too many either.
 
No I'm not being a smarty, but bikes have been made without ABS and have done just fine. Yes, all being equal I'd gladly take a 2014 'deluxe' CB1100, none where close to me.

New 2014's are still on Cycle-Trader, here's one.

http://m.cycletrader.com/dealers/Re.../2014-Honda-CB1100-Deluxe-(CB1100A)-112030415

If your heart is set on one I'd just maybe trade into it. Even with the $$ lost in the transaction, at least it would be set up and ready to roll.

Ever since I was a wee pup on my Yamaha DT-100 enduro it's all been about modulating the braking. That modulating is varied based upon road(trail) surface, front or rear brake, and what the situation calls for. Then there is the issue of braking while turning.

Yes, I'd take ABS if the rest was sorta equal. I'm mostly a dry pavement guy with the CB1100.
 
Showing full retail. For Erics bike, bought in Ohio, Honda had a 1k dealer rebate + we weren't charged shipping or set up, and paid something like a $36.00 title fee. Paid sales tax there, got Ohio title. When back in Florida, applied for Florida title, only paid title and new tag fees.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Streetfighter, I think I misunderstood sourdough's question as I thought it was directed at me. I DO know that ABS is safer. My dealer did not have one in '13 when they first hit the dealers. They only had one CB, non abs, and I bought it.
Go ABS. Fit to your bike or buy a bike with it fitted. With my '10 model I will not, for various reasons, fit it, so I'm guilty of not practicing what I preach. But that is beside the point. My first, and last, experience of an ABS system operating on a motorcycle was very recently on a rented FJR 1300. On a max effort stop on a very wet road I could feel the ABS working. It pulled up straight and true, even with a small change of line mid-way. If I had been on my CB I feel that a slide may have been likely, or at least a foot down save. I have also had extensive experience of ABS systems in heavy aircraft. They work both in simulation and real-world. Stopping distances and control are both improved. Dramatically.

95% of non-ABS equiped motorcycle accidents may have been prevented with an ABS system.

Cheers

Incidentally 87% of people find an argument more persuasive if statistics, particularly percentages, are quoted. :D
 
13% smell bovine fecal matter.

+1 on ABS. The DLX is the first bike I've had with it and I had a dry road save during which I could feel the ABS clicking off. It's worth it.
 
All of the above. ABS is the ticket. I know for a fact that it saved my behind when an elderly gentleman pulled out directly in front of me from a supermarket parking lot.:banana:
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Streetfighter, I think I misunderstood sourdough's question as I thought it was directed at me. I DO know that ABS is safer. My dealer did not have one in '13 when they first hit the dealers. They only had one CB, non abs, and I bought it.
Go ABS. Fit to your bike or buy a bike with it fitted. With my '10 model I will not, for various reasons, fit it, so I'm guilty of not practicing what I preach. But that is beside the point. My first, and last, experience of an ABS system operating on a motorcycle was very recently on a rented FJR 1300. On a max effort stop on a very wet road I could feel the ABS working. It pulled up straight and true, even with a small change of line mid-way. If I had been on my CB I feel that a slide may have been likely, or at least a foot down save. I have also had extensive experience of ABS systems in heavy aircraft. They work both in simulation and real-world. Stopping distances and control are both improved. Dramatically.

95% of non-ABS equiped motorcycle accidents may have been prevented with an ABS system.

Cheers

Incidentally 87% of people find an argument more persuasive if statistics, particularly percentages, are quoted. :D
Go ABS. Fit to your bike or buy a bike with it fitted. With my '10 model I will not, for various reasons, fit it, so I'm guilty of not practicing what I preach. But that is beside the point. My first, and last, experience of an ABS system operating on a motorcycle was very recently on a rented FJR 1300. On a max effort stop on a very wet road I could feel the ABS working. It pulled up straight and true, even with a small change of line mid-way. If I had been on my CB I feel that a slide may have been likely, or at least a foot down save. I have also had extensive experience of ABS systems in heavy aircraft. They work both in simulation and real-world. Stopping distances and control are both improved. Dramatically.

95% of non-ABS equiped motorcycle accidents may have been prevented with an ABS system.

Cheers

Incidentally 87% of people find an argument more persuasive if statistics, particularly percentages, are quoted. :D
It's not that high, it is somewhere between 30 and 40 percent according to the MSF. Some accidents just cannot be prevented with breaking as slick roads creating a wobble won't be impacted by ABS.
sourdough44_imp said:
No I'm not being a smarty, but bikes have been made without ABS and have done just fine. Yes, all being equal I'd gladly take a 2014 'deluxe' CB1100, none where close to me.

New 2014's are still on Cycle-Trader, here's one.

http://m.cycletrader.com/dealers/Re.../2014-Honda-CB1100-Deluxe-(CB1100A)-112030415

If your heart is set on one I'd just maybe trade into it. Even with the $$ lost in the transaction, at least it would be set up and ready to roll.

Ever since I was a wee pup on my Yamaha DT-100 enduro it's all been about modulating the braking. That modulating is varied based upon road(trail) surface, front or rear brake, and what the situation calls for. Then there is the issue of braking while turning.

Yes, I'd take ABS if the rest was sorta equal. I'm mostly a dry pavement guy with the CB1100.
No, they're extremely rare or I would have gone that direction. There isn't one in the state of Florida, I searched cycle trader and even those that claimed to have one responded to my email saying sorry they only have the standard model.
 
Back
Top