A very specific question about chain wax...

Houtman_imp said:
Why does DID recommend using 80/90 gear oil ? That is what I use ; cheap and easy AND effective !
That's what I used to use before O-ring chains became a thing. Seems like overkill for O-rings and really messy.
 
To maintain my chain in tip top condition, I use a triple combination, gear oil, wax spray and Wurth HHS 2000, a tear-proof lubricating film with excellent noise and vibration dampening, also water repellent...no complains, OEM chain/sprockets set with about 56K kms.
 
I use rags soaked in kerosine to clean my chains , let them dry for a while and than use a rag soaked in 80/90 gear oil to prevent rust on the side plates , even this might not be needed since I put the DID ZVM-X plated chains on my bike , they do not rust on the side plates but can get a tiny bit of rust on the stakes.
 
I also use the kerosene soaked rag and clean it at every oil change. I think this is one of the easiest and most effective ways to extend chain life. I never used to bother with chain cleaning and the grit buildup would usually wear out the O-rings within 20K-22K miles. I noticed that my chain cleaning friends were getting a lot more mileage out of their chains, so I took up the practice. Both the CB11 and CB750 have over 32K miles on their current chains, with a long way to go.
 
On my shelf, from left to right, whith my highly subjective impressions:

Lithium grease - perhaps works but messy, doesn't wick and does not last. Tried it once but never again.

Yamalube - Similar to lithium grease, perhaps slightly better but not much. Used it a couple of timed only.

Dafy Moto chain lube - bought in France 15 years ago and an old favourite. Seems to wick well (get under the rollers and spread around the o-rings) as chain runs cool. Does not stain too badly. Lasts well. Easy to apply sparingly too. Not available on Sweden unfortunately so I'm saving the last for... not sure what.

Maxima Chain Wax - temptingly tidy, few stains and does not collect much dirt and lasts but does not seem to wick much (rollers feels "dry" on turning and chain runs warm). Difficult to apply sparingly - "digital" nozzle action.

Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard - messy, stains everyting in sight and chain seems to turn into a dirt magnet, but appears to wick really well (chain runs cool) and lasts forever.

Motul Off Road Chain Lube - recent buy and only tried once a few weeks back but so far seems tidiest of them all - no stains and does not collect much dirt. However does not last long. Unsure how it appears to wick, forgot to check.
 
Many in that collection are familiar indeed.

So far staying with Tutoro and 5W40 synthetic motor oil. Wicks well and never have to clean debris off the chain. Small reservoir refilled every 1500 to 2500 kms, depending on riding conditions.

May consider 80W90 gear oil one day, however I suspect it won't work in the Tutoro.
 
Tirox was the best chain lube around after the Dupont product was changed. My home fronts a dirt, mostly sand road one mile of which I ride coming and going and Tirox was the only lube that never attracted grit or fling on the rear wheel. I still have a partial can left but I don't see Tirox on line anymore though their chain cleaner and other products are still around. Wish I'd bought a case of it last year. Probably will go back to the Dupont chain lube.
Flynrider_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Why does DID recommend using 80/90 gear oil ? That is what I use ; cheap and easy AND effective !
That's what I used to use before O-ring chains became a thing. Seems like overkill for O-rings and really messy.
That's what I used to use before O-ring chains became a thing. Seems like overkill for O-rings and really messy.
Gear oil collects grit like a magnet forming an abrasive paste that eats up sprockets in my experience.
 
My experience with the 80/90 gear oil is just the opposite of yours , the sticky/waxy stuff makes far more of a grinding paste than the oil.
 
Houtman_imp said:
My experience with the 80/90 gear oil is just the opposite of yours , the sticky/waxy stuff makes far more of a grinding paste than the oil.
My experience with wax sprays also until Tirox came along, nothing sticks to it.
 
Thread starter
Sounds like I'm not the only one who will miss Tirox.
 
I've used Maxima Chain Wax for years. Seems to do the job, however in the last month I've decided to switch over to Motul Chain Lube (paste).

The smell put off from the Maxima spray is pretty intense (and lingers for in my garage for the better part of two days), and it got me questioning the health concerns of inhaling such vapors. Quite a bit of intense chemicals involved in moto care, and I figured I could at least avoid inhaling one more aerosol than necessary.

I've yet to try to the chain lube, so I'm curious if I'll stick with it, or revert back to the spray.

Another response that doesn't answer the question, gotta love motorcycle forums!
 
motoWest_imp said:
I've used Maxima Chain Wax for years. Seems to do the job, however in the last month I've decided to switch over to Motul Chain Lube (paste).

The smell put off from the Maxima spray is pretty intense (and lingers for in my garage for the better part of two days), and it got me questioning the health concerns of inhaling such vapors. Quite a bit of intense chemicals involved in moto care, and I figured I could at least avoid inhaling one more aerosol than necessary.

I've yet to try to the chain lube, so I'm curious if I'll stick with it, or revert back to the spray.

Another response that doesn't answer the question, gotta love motorcycle forums!
I've used "Motul Chain Lube (Factory Line)" and still have a can at hand.

Functionally, it looks like it [should] work, but it is sticky. Goes on grey, dries (whatever that means), and then every weed seed seems to adhere to it. I am not convinced the chain rollers roll.

I don't have these particular issues using a Tutoro device and 5W40 synthetic motor oil.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
I've used Maxima Chain Wax for years. Seems to do the job, however in the last month I've decided to switch over to Motul Chain Lube (paste).

The smell put off from the Maxima spray is pretty intense (and lingers for in my garage for the better part of two days), and it got me questioning the health concerns of inhaling such vapors. Quite a bit of intense chemicals involved in moto care, and I figured I could at least avoid inhaling one more aerosol than necessary.

I've yet to try to the chain lube, so I'm curious if I'll stick with it, or revert back to the spray.

Another response that doesn't answer the question, gotta love motorcycle forums!
I've used "Motul Chain Lube (Factory Line)" and still have a can at hand.

Functionally, it looks like it [should] work, but it is sticky. Goes on grey, dries (whatever that means), and then every weed seed seems to adhere to it. I am not convinced the chain rollers roll.

I don't have these particular issues using a Tutoro device and 5W40 synthetic motor oil.
Next time, before we meet, do not clean your rear wheel for at least 500 kms or/and a week, please.
I would like to compare your Tutoro with conventional lube "mess" left on the rear wheel....:biker:
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
I've used Maxima Chain Wax for years. Seems to do the job, however in the last month I've decided to switch over to Motul Chain Lube (paste).

The smell put off from the Maxima spray is pretty intense (and lingers for in my garage for the better part of two days), and it got me questioning the health concerns of inhaling such vapors. Quite a bit of intense chemicals involved in moto care, and I figured I could at least avoid inhaling one more aerosol than necessary.

I've yet to try to the chain lube, so I'm curious if I'll stick with it, or revert back to the spray.

Another response that doesn't answer the question, gotta love motorcycle forums!
I've used "Motul Chain Lube (Factory Line)" and still have a can at hand.

Functionally, it looks like it [should] work, but it is sticky. Goes on grey, dries (whatever that means), and then every weed seed seems to adhere to it. I am not convinced the chain rollers roll.

I don't have these particular issues using a Tutoro device and 5W40 synthetic motor oil.
Interesting, I've never seen this device. I could certainly go without having to manually lubricate the chain every 600 miles or so, not something I particularly enjoy!
 
motoWest_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
motoWest_imp said:
I've used Maxima Chain Wax for years. Seems to do the job, however in the last month I've decided to switch over to Motul Chain Lube (paste).

The smell put off from the Maxima spray is pretty intense (and lingers for in my garage for the better part of two days), and it got me questioning the health concerns of inhaling such vapors. Quite a bit of intense chemicals involved in moto care, and I figured I could at least avoid inhaling one more aerosol than necessary.

I've yet to try to the chain lube, so I'm curious if I'll stick with it, or revert back to the spray.

Another response that doesn't answer the question, gotta love motorcycle forums!
I've used "Motul Chain Lube (Factory Line)" and still have a can at hand.

Functionally, it looks like it [should] work, but it is sticky. Goes on grey, dries (whatever that means), and then every weed seed seems to adhere to it. I am not convinced the chain rollers roll.

I don't have these particular issues using a Tutoro device and 5W40 synthetic motor oil.
Interesting, I've never seen this device. I could certainly go without having to manually lubricate the chain every 600 miles or so, not something I particularly enjoy!
Interesting, I've never seen this device. I could certainly go without having to manually lubricate the chain every 600 miles or so, not something I particularly enjoy!
Some references ...

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2694&pid=231073#pid231073

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13663&pid=240434#pid240434

TUTORO Automatic Motorcycle Chain Oilers
 
Back
Top