A very specific question about chain wax...

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi guys,

I wince as I type this, as I am really not trying to open Pandora's Box regarding chain lubricants. I'm not looking for advice on what kind to use. I know everyone has their favorite lubricants, and that is great, but I'm looking for a specific answer if anyone can help.

For years, I used Maxima Chain Wax in the gold can. Had great luck with it, and didn't mind the minimal amount of mess that it made. But, I had read some reviews of Tirox Chain Wax, which were very, very good. I bought a few cans at a show pre-pandemic, and was very impressed with it.

I'm nearing the end of my last can of Tirox, and going online just now, am seeing that it is out of stock just about everywhere. Must have gone out of business.

So, I'll be going back to Maxima, my tried-and-true. However, Maxima also makes a Synthetic Chain Guard product in a silver can. My one and only question is, does anyone here use Maxima Synthetic Chain Guard, and if so, how messy is it?

Thank you!
 
jimgl3_imp said:
Dupont chain saver is really good stuff.
(+1) That is what I used prior to mounting the Tutoro auto lubricator. I also use Dupont Chain Saver on my hedge trimmers (gotta use up the stuff some how).
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
jimgl3_imp said:
Dupont chain saver is really good stuff.
(+1) That is what I used prior to mounting the Tutoro auto lubricator. I also use Dupont Chain Saver on my hedge trimmers (gotta use up the stuff some how).
(+1) That is what I used prior to mounting the Tutoro auto lubricator. I also use Dupont Chain Saver on my hedge trimmers (gotta use up the stuff some how).
You could use it as a laxative .....
 
I also use DuPont chain wax, not messy doesn’t fling , especially when using on spoke wheels , less clean up.
 
@ jimgl3 / GO / Houtman / obleo and Rocky
Did you read and answer the one and only question which Go60 had ?
 
j3gq_imp said:
@ jimgl3 / GO / Houtman / obleo and Rocky
Did you read and answer the one and only question which Go60 had ?
Yes , we did see that but the other things we told him were just bonus points.
 
j3gq_imp said:
no offense, man ;)
None taken whatever.
For years before switching to DuPont I used Maxima. I still carry a small can with me on extended rides or tours.
I have never tried the synthetic version.
 
j3gq_imp said:
@ jimgl3 / GO / Houtman / obleo and Rocky
Did you read and answer the one and only question which Go60 had ?
No (*sigh*), ... I did not. :(






(I got all excited with jimgl3's comment :banana: )
 
It's not clear to me that people survive as members of this forum unless they have a highly developed ability to ignore questions that are posed and respond with other information, sometimes entirely unrelated. For me, it's part of the charm of the place.

Gone in 60, I've not used either product, so I can't help. If you believe Ryan at Fort9, you wouldn't use any product in a spray can—
 
Thread starter
Meh, I knew that this would go in a bunch of directions, interesting that it went to DuPont. One of the attractions of Tirox was that it was the closest thing to "The old DuPont chain lube" that anyone had used. I used to use DuPont until they changed the formula some five years ago or so. I started noticing a bit of rust on my chains and switched to Maxima. Very minimal fling, and I had never had to clean a chain while using it.

Yeah, I saw Ryan's video too. Bought a can of my tried-and-true Maxima in the gold can over the weekend.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Meh, I knew that this would go in a bunch of directions, interesting that it went to DuPont. One of the attractions of Tirox was that it was the closest thing to "The old DuPont chain lube" that anyone had used. I used to use DuPont until they changed the formula some five years ago or so. I started noticing a bit of rust on my chains and switched to Maxima. Very minimal fling, and I had never had to clean a chain while using it.

Yeah, I saw Ryan's video too. Bought a can of my tried-and-true Maxima in the gold can over the weekend.
The Dupont lube wasn't available in this area, so on my various trips to New England I stocked up on it and still have 2-3 cans on the shelf.
I haven't read anything very positive about the new Dupont formula so when it runs out I'll probably go back to Maxima.
 
I use the Maxima Chain Wax because I like the way it smells. As near as I can tell from reading chain threads, my rationale is just as valid as anyone else's.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I use the Maxima Chain Wax because I like the way it smells. As near as I can tell from reading chain threads, my rationale is just as valid as anyone else's.
I agree.
I've always said that if something works for you, does what you want, and you're happy, that's all that's all that matters.
But that doesn't mean my mind is closed on any subject :D
 
Thread starter
Funny, my wife doesn't like the smell... when I lube my chain with Maxima, I use an old rag that's ready to be tossed, and put it in the outside trash when I'm done. Something about stinking up our laundry.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Meh, I knew that this would go in a bunch of directions, interesting that it went to DuPont. One of the attractions of Tirox was that it was the closest thing to "The old DuPont chain lube" that anyone had used. I used to use DuPont until they changed the formula some five years ago or so. I started noticing a bit of rust on my chains and switched to Maxima. Very minimal fling, and I had never had to clean a chain while using it.

Yeah, I saw Ryan's video too. Bought a can of my tried-and-true Maxima in the gold can over the weekend.
That is the reason I left DuPont chain wax was for the same reason: Didn't appear to suppress acts of corrosion.
 
Thread starter
Probably for the same reason my wife says I can't eat pizza every day.

It's what they think is best for it.
 
Back
Top