A very "Deluxe" Deluxe for sale

I'm 6 miles from Bethel. A policeman won this bike in the raffle. Cant believe he's selling it already.
 
Isn't it usually the case that people enter raffles like this and then don't really want or need the prize?

The same thing happened to my boss. He won a brand new customized Harley just after buying one from the same dealer. Now both bikes sit in his climate-controlled storage garage next to all his other toys...and neither of the bikes have been driven at all this year.
 
Wheels, swing arm, brakes all custom too Chapomis
 
The price strikes me as reasonable for all the custom parts. I like everything but the headlight and odd placement of the oil cooler. Someone will buy it.
 
Tax sale?

Don't you guys in the US get assessed a tax bill based on the value of the prize as it relates to your incrimental income? Not sure if it's different for charity raffles, but I'm sure I've read this for other lottery/prize wins.
 
Yes. The tax liability can bust you if you're not prepared for it (wife's co-worker won a pickup a while back, unable to keep it - works for the state which does not pay well).
 
The tax bite for an "average" taxpayer is around 20%. In states that will collect sales tax on the bike, such as WA where I live, it is closer to 30%.
 
The guys first mistake was telling people he won the bike, which means he is in it for pretty much nothing. That means people are going to be relentless in hammering him on price. The second mistake is asking for retail up front, with everyone knowing he is in it for nothing. While he is doing nothing wrong, the perception is that he is greedy or wants to cash in on his lottery ticket.

This is the perfect bike to sell on an auction starting at a penny. Describe the bike well, take lots of good pics and let the bidders fight over who gets to take it home. So he gets 13K or 14K instead of his desired $15500....so what? He just got paid, and cashes in on his good fortune.
 
I disagree. If the bike really has a value of $15,500, that's what a buyer will pay in an auction setting. The seller's acquisition cost has nothing to do with it.

People inherit property all the time. They don't sell for less than market price just because they paid nothing for it, unless they're foolish or desperate for the cash.
 
Don't care for the color selection/paint scheme. I find all of the high end mods very interesting and would like to ride it for a day to see if the performance/handling improvement is a significant improvement over stock. We need to remember that at one time the retail price on a 2014 CB1100 DLX was $11,899. If there's somebody out there looking to build a CB like this, at just $3.5K more with all of the high end performance parts already mounted it seems like a bargain, especially if you take cost of the labor for installation into consideration. I think the primary focus of the builder was performance gains. I still think there are several bikes built by members that are 'much' better looking than this CB.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I disagree. If the bike really has a value of $15,500, that's what a buyer will pay in an auction setting. The seller's acquisition cost has nothing to do with it.

People inherit property all the time. They don't sell for less than market price just because they paid nothing for it, unless they're foolish or desperate for the cash.
That's right.....if the bikes market value is truly $15,500, then it will get bid up to that price, right? Nothing determines the market value of an item better than a penny auction with no reserve, plus never underestimate the value of buyer's egos, or desire to "win"....I've seen it over and over push prices way up even beyond "normal' price..

All of this assumes enough time has elapsed with enough buyers to view the item...which is why I do auctions 10 days on ebay and 14 days on Gunbroker...

On the other hand, I've seen nice items that sat for MONTHS or never sold when the bidding has a high hidden reserve or the opening bid is the desired ask price.
 
Back
Top