A sad Continental tire story

I guess you mean the ContiRoadAttack 2 Classic Race S110 Front with the 150 Rear. From the blurb the compound would seem to be most suitable for those who would race or track day their CB. Perhaps not the best for touring, even sport touring. Finding tyres for the CB, depending on what part of the world you live in, can be a problem. But, as Houtman correctly says, money is the fix.

Cheers and thanks for the heads up.
Going further into the site I do see some Sport Touring that may do the job. I'll keep Continental in mind for my fourth set of tyres, probably in the first half of next year. Availability in Oz? Well let's see.

Thanks again.
 
Thread starter
Knowing what I know about tires and Conti. tires this is just a smaller sized tire of their sport touring tire other wise they would have called it a sport attack or race attack.
 
The link you gave above leads to this:
ContiRoadAttack 2 Classic Race

It appears to be a racing tyre, albeit classic endurance racing. That's why I went further into the site looking for sport touring. The ideal sport touring tyre would have a heavier centre compound with softer on the edges. Most touring tyres wear the flat, or centre, before the edges. Unless your lucky enough to do your touring on extremely twisty roads :). I've used Continental on a car and found them good. Since your heads up I have found an Aussie site that markets the Road Attack 2 so will chase that up for interests sake.

Cheers and thanks again.
 
This may sound blasphemous, but I kind of miss the tires that just flatted in the center, these new multi compound tires last longer but really misshapen as they wear, flat in the very center, concave on each side of that where the compound is softer, the sipes look all weird where the compound changes, and from certain angles they look all lumpy. I call then Flintstone tires.

My favorite tires of all times were the original Michelin Pilot Roads which I would put on the CB in a heartbeat, if they were still available, and of course available in the correct sizes.
 
Ferret, you're right there. Buying 18s for the CB in Oz is not that easy. A fat wallet can overcome any difficulty of course, but mine is on a diet :). Retirement does that. To me at least.

Michelin has been good for me. I'm very happy with the Pilot Road 3s that I fitted earlier this year. Not standard size though (110/80/18F and 160/60/18R). I've now put 12200kms (~7600miles) on them. Also a little on the expensive side. Wear is even and no flat spots, or cupping. It's hard to say how long they have got left but I would guess another 3/4000kms. I use most of the front and rear, not often to the pegs but certainly my boot toes touch down on a regular basis. So, in summary, good even wear with reasonable life and the expense might ultimately be justified. Most importantly though they feel good on the bike. Hard to describe how exactly. They react to gravel bits, cats eyes and sticks on the road, especially in corners, by sort of sliding off, instead of "bumping" off, kind of softer. The first time that occurred it gave me a surprise but they return to good grip surely and quickly. Totally different to the Dunlops and Bridgestones that were set one and two on the CB. It may have to do with the profile. At this stage I would buy another set when the time comes, if available at a reasonable price.

Cheers
 
For what it's worth, the mechanic at my dealer seemed to think there's a Pilot Road 4 that will fit the CB. Damned if I can find it on the Michelin Australia Website, which seems to have only 17" options. I've put on a second set of Bridgestone BT45s and continue to be happy with them, although I will search harder for a suitable radial tyre next time.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
For what it's worth, the mechanic at my dealer seemed to think there's a Pilot Road 4 that will fit the CB. Damned if I can find it on the Michelin Australia Website, which seems to have only 17" options. I've put on a second set of Bridgestone BT45s and continue to be happy with them, although I will search harder for a suitable radial tyre next time.
At this stage RP4s not available in 18s. I liked the BT45s I had on previous to the Michelins. Just different.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Ferret, you're right there. Buying 18s for the CB in Oz is not that easy. A fat wallet can overcome any difficulty of course, but mine is on a diet :). Retirement does that. To me at least.

Michelin has been good for me. I'm very happy with the Pilot Road 3s that I fitted earlier this year. Not standard size though (110/80/18F and 160/60/18R). I've now put 12200kms (~7600miles) on them. Also a little on the expensive side. Wear is even and no flat spots, or cupping. It's hard to say how long they have got left but I would guess another 3/4000kms. I use most of the front and rear, not often to the pegs but certainly my boot toes touch down on a regular basis. So, in summary, good even wear with reasonable life and the expense might ultimately be justified. Most importantly though they feel good on the bike. Hard to describe how exactly. They react to gravel bits, cats eyes and sticks on the road, especially in corners, by sort of sliding off, instead of "bumping" off, kind of softer. The first time that occurred it gave me a surprise but they return to good grip surely and quickly. Totally different to the Dunlops and Bridgestones that were set one and two on the CB. It may have to do with the profile. At this stage I would buy another set when the time comes, if available at a reasonable price.

Cheers
I think the few of us who have installed the PR3's have had the same feeling on these tires. I have 4000miles and look for wear, they still look like new. Basically no warm up and they eat up any imperfection in the road with a stable feel, you never get the feeling there going to slide out like the original tires on tar strips or painted lines.
 
Does the BT45 work on a CB 1100?

Here in Germany, Bridgestone does not suggest the BT45 for the CB, but the BT54 in 110/80-R18 (front) and 140/70-R18 (rear).

Also there is a clearance from Bridgestone for the T30 in 110/80 ZR18 and 160/60 ZR18. You can mix it with the BT23 (predecessor of T30).

I really enjoyed the T30 on my BMW, very good experience, also on wet roads.
 
Thread starter
The reason I started this thread is because I am thinking about tires for my 13 in the spring. I can't ride like I used to so how long they last is not important . Having been in the motorcycle tire biss. for
25 years I can not bring myself to put a 160 on this bike or a bias tires on it. I do want to keep "the look" that Honda intended. I can get the OE Bridgestones very cheaply through a old industry source
but I don't like the stiff sidewalls that OE Bridgestones have. I may just bite the bullet and order OE Dunlops. I wish Michelin or Metzeler/
Pirelli made a 150 or 140 but they don't. ( we were a big Metz./Pirelli
shop but sold more Dunlop & Michelin)
It just does not make sense to me why Continental would not bring this to the US market because it would fit the CB and many others.
I think it would last longer than most think.
 
Django_imp said:
Does the BT45 work on a CB 1100?

Here in Germany, Bridgestone does not suggest the BT45 for the CB, but the BT54 in 110/80-R18 (front) and 140/70-R18 (rear).

Also there is a clearance from Bridgestone for the T30 in 110/80 ZR18 and 160/60 ZR18. You can mix it with the BT23 (predecessor of T30).

I really enjoyed the T30 on my BMW, very good experience, also on wet roads.
Those T-30 sizes are fine and recommended replacement from Bridgestone. The 160/60-18 rear is a better profile than stock.

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/moto/search-results-bike/?model=CB 1100 SC 65 ab 2013
 
All tire companies I spoke to or researched do not recommend to put a 160 tire on our rim.
It is not the clearance but the tire is "bend" out of shape , I realize that it might work for our riding but that still does not make it right.
 
Django_imp said:
Does the BT45 work on a CB 1100?

Here in Germany, Bridgestone does not suggest the BT45 for the CB, but the BT54 in 110/80-R18 (front) and 140/70-R18 (rear).

Also there is a clearance from Bridgestone for the T30 in 110/80 ZR18 and 160/60 ZR18. You can mix it with the BT23 (predecessor of T30).

I really enjoyed the T30 on my BMW, very good experience, also on wet roads.
Neither the OEM Dunlop, nor the OEM BT54 is available in Australia. The BT45 is the only thing available. I'm on to my second set and they work well on the CB1100, although, as I said earlier, I'd prefer a radial tyre.

Had the BT54 been available, I would have tried it.
 
Thread starter
Just got this from Continental tire -
Janet DeCandia <Janet.DeCandia@conti-na.com> Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM





Hello Steven,

The Conti Road Attack CR (Classic Race) tires are available in the US. They are sold thru one US distributor,
Performance Tire. They can be reached at 215-257-4650. Please call them for pricing and availability.

Thank you for your interest in Continental motorcycle tires.



Regards,
Janet DeCandia
Coordinator, Operations/Administration
Two Wheel Tires
Continental Tire the Americas, LLC
41 Strong Street
Wallington, NJ 07057
USA
 
Funny, because that address for Continental Tires is two miles from my home and it's a 1200sq ft house in a dense residential neighborhood. :huh:
 
I'm still curious as to why - besides the fact that this is one of the few tires available in the correct size for the CB - you're interested in a tire basically made for the track? I know you mentioned not being concerned about how long they last, but I can tell you from experience that even soft compound high performance STREET tires will amaze you at how fast they wear, let alone dedicated "classic racing tires" as these are described. Obviously, the "stick" and handling of these should be exceptional, but I didn't get the impression that mattered to you, either.
Not trying to second-guess you here, just interested in your thought process for my own uses...we'll all be needing to replace tires at some point!
 
Back
Top