A Ride For Dad

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
My father had been living alone since the passing of my step mom and I had not seen him since last March, much to my shame. Although still sharp in mind and wit for his 88 years, he felt it best that he move in with my sister's family in Port Charlotte, FL so that they might assist him with his day to day.

I planned my route on as many two lane back roads as time constraints would allow. I-75 would cut hours off the trip but I can't imagine a more boring way to travel than droning along at 80mph, surrounded by cagers, many most likely distracted by complaining children and texting.

8AM and packed, looking forward to a great day on the road.

34733183add9c913e486f6d798be05dd.jpg


By midday I'm south of Hawthorne, FL on US301 so a stop at the public boat ramp and lunch break.

f26b6450f8481dd3ca57f47578207247.jpg


Soft tortilla wrap stuffed with peanut butter and raisins for me.

a2d84e27ae0309e4331787173de22d9a.jpg


If there was a way to carry my Canon 5D I would have some pics of the Bald Eagle that circled overhead while I ate lunch, oh well. It was nice to talk to the folks at the ramp fishing for their supper. Most of them had already caught enough for a meal but who wants to leave when the weather is so fine.

f12cb4205ed07c3cfe9c0b6bee3f0a3b.jpg


6c5fdf195d3adf8c4ff6f368ec8a5a6a.jpg


I stopped for gas near Ocala and then onto I-75 for a short while to save time, getting onto SR471 in Sumpterville. SR471 runs straight, nary a curve, for many miles and dead ends on US98 just north of Lakeland. To avoid the traffic in that city a "bypass" route was taken and I was soon south of Lakeland and on my way through the limestone quarries, orange groves and swampy flat lands headed toward Arcadia, FL.

A rest break on Keen Rd just north of Lakeland.

10ef44296b7c5b495d1dc058d71028cc.jpg


Arrived in Port Charlotte around 3:30PM after a pleasant ride through some nice rural countryside in a part of Florida that the tourists rarely see. Ferret would have enjoyed this section for the great bird watching. I saw Eagles, Ospreys, Sandhill Cranes, Storks, Egrets and Herons. If I only had my 5D.

The visit with family was wonderful as always. My sister displayed her vast culinary arts with splendid Shrimp Chowder that evening and delicious home made Chicken Pot Pie next day. I watched the college football games with Dad, made even better by a plentiful cache of cold beer from his fridge. The time passed so quickly and soon I was on the road home.

Wind and clouds at the start of the day. Finally cleared the city traffic and was on CR769 in some nice farm country.

A stop at Horse Creek which flows into the Peace River in Charlotte County.

b42ffdd61d0527fa3894849051ef634a.jpg


Arrow straight CR663 in Hardee County. Good thing that the scenery is interesting.

9d0919e797e238d009d201cbf5501e78.jpg


Payne Creek, CR663. I wished to fish here for a while.

690ff0432b03036e5e8100f94fe52983.jpg


9966d98524c0a953e01f2c8798b118b0.jpg


An old farmhouse on Kathleen Rd along my Lakeland "bypass"

dbba57053274898318edfb2cb7f19da4.jpg

On Hancock RD some nice curves are found.

9ca98d48a13c72d639ce065cc6d3b2a7.jpg


da803c8425a09a84c3f55eea2afeeef5.jpg


6feaefe51e910f0e111a5d57cc0a97fc.jpg


In Tarry Town I stop for gas and am assisted by a Katydid that makes sure I do things right.

56f6cdfbf648778b593655a1f9de9176.jpg


1280723e3ae2e57f5706ed71f27552be.jpg


Folkston, GA and almost home. Our riding club "Faith Riders" is hosting a biker rest stop for those traveling to Daytona.

81f13a2569086801b3bfb2899c236b3e.jpg


The CB adds some much needed class and beauty to the scene domonated by Harleys.

84d0826ac0a3ffece8f83da7cf1aaff9.jpg


da7cef751b97d317b15b8d12688f8054.jpg


An hour later and I'm home. Can't wait to do it again.
Total trip mileage was around 740 at 50 mpg.
 
Great story Redbird and thank you for sharing along with nice pictures. If only I had time for that kind of trip.
 
Thanks for that great report, redbirds. Good to hear your Dad's OK and that you had a great ride to get to see him. Nothing like getting on the CB for a good, long ride. And you go to see some birds. I love watching raptors; they make the whole business of flight seem so terribly easy.

On the 5D: a top box is the only answer. You could always take it off when you're not touring.

Is the screen new? I don't recall seeing that before.
 
Lovely report Redbirds. You know I love bird watching and was really suprised by the lack of birds on my recent west coast trip. From LA all the way to Seattle I kept thinking "if this were Florida, I'd be seeing all kinds of birds". Truly is amazing the amount of bird life down there.

Glad you had a good fun and safe trip, and didn't Ianonne any gulls lol.

Quick edit.. Peanut butter and raisins? That's a new one on me, but does sound like something I would eat lol
 
Nice report. I just returned from a trip to Naples (paid for by someone else, thankfully). I did not get to see much of scenic Florida this trip, but Glen & Laura (Goldwing&F6B couple from my ride reports) have a place in Placida which is near Port Charlotte and it is beautiful in that part of Florida. Thanks for sharing.
 
Ferret, I like it that you've coined a new verb—to Iannone. May I ask a couple of questions about it so I use it properly?

If you Iannone a bird, does it have to be a gull? Do you have to hit with a sharply lowered helmet? Or can it be any bird hit with any part of the rider or the motorcycle?
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys.

The secret to having the time Seabee is called retirement lol.

The raptors are my favorites also Cormanus. Red-shouldered hawks nested in the wooded area behind our home this year and it was a delight watching the adult birds taking their prey in our back yard. My favorite raptor is the Swallow-tailed Kite, common here in summer. The screen is a Puig that I bought soon after getting the CB. I took it off for summer riding.

Ferret, I did have a close call with some Black Vultures feeding on a road-kill opossum. You would eat peanut butter and raisins? I thought you existed on a steady intake of peach cobbler lol.
 
birds no I don't eat it, but will give it a try sometime.

Black headed vultures are stupid and slow to get off the road. many near misses with those things. I also rode thru a flock of wild turkeys without hitting one but they flew up all around me and scared the beejeebus out of me. My wife Di was hit in the head by a turkey vulture (red head) a few years ago down in Kentucky. I was leading scared it off the road, it made a circle back aross the road and clipped Di as she came through on her bike.

Cormanus see the post I just made about bird strikes at PI over on that thread.
 
Thank you, Ferret. I'm not sure you really answered my question. That's OK though.

I've hit two birds on the CB: one, a pretty blue and red parrot, I took out with the right hand mirror; the other, also a parrot of sorts, I bounced off my helmet. Both incidents were on the same trip.
 
Thanks for the great ride report, redbirds! I find it so interesting to read a report of a ride that's in a part of the world I haven't been to. I have travelled in the US many times, but haven't made it to Georgia or Florida yet. I sure hope to someday. I plotted your route on google maps, and, thanks to your pictures, felt a little bit like I was almost there (which is quite a feat since I am sitting in rainy and cold Budapest). Also, if I may say so, what a gorgeous motorcycle you have! :)

I'm glad you got to see your dad, and spent some quality time with your family.
 
Great pictures! Wow you do have some big bugs down there. We just had a couple of days of real warm weather and the darn bugs come out in droves- but I just had to go for a ride to see how many I could kill.
 
Thread starter
alphonsus_imp said:
Thanks for the great ride report, redbirds! I find it so interesting to read a report of a ride that's in a part of the world I haven't been to. I have travelled in the US many times, but haven't made it to Georgia or Florida yet. I sure hope to someday. I plotted your route on google maps, and, thanks to your pictures, felt a little bit like I was almost there (which is quite a feat since I am sitting in rainy and cold Budapest). Also, if I may say so, what a gorgeous motorcycle you have! :)

I'm glad you got to see your dad, and spent some quality time with your family.
Thank you for the kind words Alphonsus. If you ever do get the chance to come to my part of the US please let me know so we can meet up. It would be my pleasure.
 
Back
Top