A procrastinator soon to pull the trigger

WhatYes_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey gang,

I joined this forum a few years ago when I was riding my FJR1300 and was lusting over the CB1100. But as I tend to do, I did nothing. The FJR has been gone for a couple of years and I'm riding an '08 GSX650F that I freakin' love. Previous bikes were:

- my first ever, bought at age 17 in 1973, a 1969 CB350 (with the rubber pads on the gas tank)
- 1976 Kawasaki KZ750, bought new
- 1980 CB750F SuperSport, bought new
- 1986 FJ1200
- 2006 GS500
- 2003 FJR1300
- 2008 GSX650F

But the time has come. I'm retired (almost) and darn it, I'm going to treat myself in the spring. (I'm in Colorado; makes no sense to buy right now)

I'm only seeing 2013's and 2014's for sale. Assuming the 2017 EX is pretty much impossible to get?

Any thoughts? If anyone knows of any good deals, let me know.

Can't wait to straddle one and ride through our Western Colorado mountains!
 
Good choice and welcome. I scan the Southern California Craig's listings and typically see '13 and '14 models a lot more frequently than a '17. Currently there are three '13s listed around here. Any of the years are a good choice, and hopefully prices will be more attractive next year when you'll be looking. You deserve it!
 
2017 ex models are not impossible to get but, as another new forum member discovered, the market on those right now is NUTS. people are charging brand new MSRP for a bike with 5k miles on it. a '17 ex at that price is just a swindle, especially when they were getable a couple of years ago for 9k as new-old-stock.

It is also true, however, that there are fewer '17s floating around. somebody else may be able to confirm this but I think they shipped fewer of them to the US in light of the slow sales on the 13 and 14 models. I don't think you're missing out on much if you get a '14, though. it all depends on how important 4-2 exhaust and ABS is to you.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I'm fine with either a '13 or '14. With the exception of my '80 SuperSport and '76 KZ750 I've always bought used. Looking forward to next spring!
Also will be looking for a small sport fairing for the bike when I get it. Found a Puig here:

Puig Naked New Generation Windscreen Honda CB1100 2013-2014 - RevZilla

I like the smallish sport fairing on my GSX650 and would like something that really complements the bike. Any suggestions?
 
That’s a good choice WY, and if you wonna see more differences between the 2 models (13+ vs 17+), search this forum, there was a long thread on it. I think I remember ... there were a few more interesting features and fixes (I am thinkng “high idle” problem) on the EX.
 

Welcome. My first new bike was also a 76 KZ750 vertical twin. Loved that bike and would love to find one in good shape. Paid a little over $900 for it. Inflation sucks. Anyway, take your time and find the bike you want. You've waited this long, what the heck. And you know that as soon as you buy a 13 or 14, a low mileage 17 will suddenly appear on your doorstep. I bought the Puig you are looking at and lost it somewhere in my house while waiting for the bike to get here. Finally gave up and put a different Puig on, which I am glad I did. It looks a lot more substantial and works great. See picture. Take your time.
 
Thread starter
NachoDaddy: Thanks for the info. Good looking windscreen and just about exactly what I'm looking for.

I bought my KZ750 brand new in 1976 for $1800. Crashed it a year or two later and had the front end rebuilt with 6" extended forks, dual staggered rectangular headlamps and a Hooker 2 into 1 header. I thought I was so badazz!

Frulk: Thanks! Have e-mailed that seller.
 
Sparky80_imp said:
There are quite a few that pop up on the Facebook Marketplace.
Here's a few for ya... Facebook

Facebook

Ya know... you could get a 2013 and newer FJR for the price of a CB. just a thought.....
Don’t mess with his priorities. In order of importance, CB first, FJR second. :D
 
Thread starter
Sparky80_imp said:
There are quite a few that pop up on the Facebook Marketplace.
Here's a few for ya... Facebook

Facebook

Ya know... you could get a 2013 and newer FJR for the price of a CB. just a thought.....
LOL.... Yeah, I've often "lusted" after a Gen 2 or 3 FJR. Loved mine, but for the twisty mountain riding I mostly do now, the CB is a better fit. And like all you other old farts, it hearkens back to my 750F SuperSport days.
Sparky80_imp said:
There are quite a few that pop up on the Facebook Marketplace.
Here's a few for ya... Facebook

Facebook

Ya know... you could get a 2013 and newer FJR for the price of a CB. just a thought.....
And thanks for those leads. Two things though, I quit all social media a year or so ago. I became so disappointed in many friends who..... well, never mind. And also, I likely really won't be buying til the spring. But those are both pretty good deals you linked to.
 
As a fellow former 1980CB750F owner, I am incredibly pleased with my 2013. They're available, sporty for our age, and only have 5 gears. At first I thought I might lust after that 6th gear but am very happy without it. I don't need the extra shifting. You won't be disappointed and you'll save some $$$. I still miss my 750. Paid $425 for it in the early 90s and sold it for $500 a few years later. That thing was fast and fun as he** as you know. My CBX riding friends were always surprised how easy it was to keep up with them.
 
I don't know why a 2017 over a 2013, especially when mine is available for sale with only 900 miles on it. Just sayin'
 
The 2017+ comes with a few improvements which have been discussed plenty on this forum, and they are not for nothing. Example, the hydraulic clutch. It depends on the rider and how you use the bike. If you’re 45, mainly riding in Utah you can’t care less. If you do a lot of stop and go, or you’re wrists hurt, you must have the later model. Other gadgets? a trouble free ECU, more stainless steel (no corrosion), etc. More gas on board may matter if you don’t live in a city.

Before you buy cheap, buyer, make sure you don’t have to buy twice. There are also signs that the later models keep their value better and longer.
 
Where are you, Dougs? Probably Texas, Florida, California. Seems to be where the CB's are. Here in Western PA, we are left out in the cold. Planning to take trip to see one...about 100 miles is the closest. No 2013's or 2107's. The 2014's in ugly black are the only ones. However, a set of silver wheels would make a world of difference (to me). What's "too old to ride?" I'm 70. I'm sure yours will sell in a heartbeat.
 
Tom_imp said:
As a fellow former 1980CB750F owner, I am incredibly pleased with my 2013. They're available, sporty for our age, and only have 5 gears. At first I thought I might lust after that 6th gear but am very happy without it. I don't need the extra shifting. You won't be disappointed and you'll save some $$$. I still miss my 750. Paid $425 for it in the early 90s and sold it for $500 a few years later. That thing was fast and fun as he** as you know. My CBX riding friends were always surprised how easy it was to keep up with them.
Hello Tom,
about the friends' 6-cylinder CBX, I agree that it has a very good visual appeal, but with your CB1100 you can go over them in any situation with the advantage of not having six carburetors to fix, with a lot of stability in corners and best brakes.
It's like the 1974 BMW R90S in mint condition that I have, it's an icon and beautiful to look at in the garage, but when it's time to ride I go with my Z900RS or CB1100 which are much better to drive.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Where are you, Dougs? Probably Texas, Florida, California. Seems to be where the CB's are. Here in Western PA, we are left out in the cold. Planning to take trip to see one...about 100 miles is the closest. No 2013's or 2107's. The 2014's in ugly black are the only ones. However, a set of silver wheels would make a world of difference (to me). What's "too old to ride?" I'm 70. I'm sure yours will sell in a heartbeat.
lol - Not often you see this - a reference to a CB1100 and "ugly" in the same sentence.

However, I can't disagree with the gloss black. A wee bit of extra maintenance to help maintain pride.
 
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
Where are you, Dougs? Probably Texas, Florida, California. Seems to be where the CB's are. Here in Western PA, we are left out in the cold. Planning to take trip to see one...about 100 miles is the closest. No 2013's or 2107's. The 2014's in ugly black are the only ones. However, a set of silver wheels would make a world of difference (to me). What's "too old to ride?" I'm 70. I'm sure yours will sell in a heartbeat.
Hi, Im 76 and live in Calif. I have a Red one and its in perfect condition. If you change your mind let me know!!
 
I have a '14 in ugly black I'll gladly let go for $10K.


:D
As a fellow I used to know "Got cash? I'll walk!" :D
 
No disrespect meant.....perhaps poor choice of words. It's just the "Darth Vader" motif of so many modern bikes not my preference. That red/silver combo just dazzles me. Due to lack of selections here (or close by), I'll probably end up with "The Dark Side."
 
Back
Top