A problem for men...

Buffalohead_imp said:
It seems to me that leaning forward (I have never liked) would make the problem worse and, as BuffaloBill said, leaning back with a forward foot position would relieve pressure from the area. One thing to try would be handlebar risers. They will allow you to not lean forward. I'm still waiting to address the red vs. black issue so I can get my CB but I already have a set of Rox 2" risers ready to go (part# 1R-P2SSN). My friend has a set on his CB1100 and he thinks they're great. They make a bigger difference than you'd think. I think the bike looks better too.
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
 
FUZZY_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
It seems to me that leaning forward (I have never liked) would make the problem worse and, as BuffaloBill said, leaning back with a forward foot position would relieve pressure from the area. One thing to try would be handlebar risers. They will allow you to not lean forward. I'm still waiting to address the red vs. black issue so I can get my CB but I already have a set of Rox 2" risers ready to go (part# 1R-P2SSN). My friend has a set on his CB1100 and he thinks they're great. They make a bigger difference than you'd think. I think the bike looks better too.
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Yes, they work fine but there is no extra length. Be sure to loosen everything including the throttle assembly. Then cut all zip ties. Zip tie everything back after you've tightened it all back up. Whoever designed these Rox risers is really clever.
BTW, I also have a set on my Suzuki TU250X. The reason they are so good is because they are universal and fit practically everything, as long as you get the right size for your handlebars. The CB1100 and the Suzuki TU250X are both 7/8".
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
It seems to me that leaning forward (I have never liked) would make the problem worse and, as BuffaloBill said, leaning back with a forward foot position would relieve pressure from the area. One thing to try would be handlebar risers. They will allow you to not lean forward. I'm still waiting to address the red vs. black issue so I can get my CB but I already have a set of Rox 2" risers ready to go (part# 1R-P2SSN). My friend has a set on his CB1100 and he thinks they're great. They make a bigger difference than you'd think. I think the bike looks better too.
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Yes, they work fine but there is no extra length. Be sure to loosen everything including the throttle assembly. Then cut all zip ties. Zip tie everything back after you've tightened it all back up. Whoever designed these Rox risers is really clever.
BTW, I also have a set on my Suzuki TU250X. The reason they are so good is because they are universal and fit practically everything, as long as you get the right size for your handlebars. The CB1100 and the Suzuki TU250X are both 7/8".
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Yes, they work fine but there is no extra length. Be sure to loosen everything including the throttle assembly. Then cut all zip ties. Zip tie everything back after you've tightened it all back up. Whoever designed these Rox risers is really clever.
BTW, I also have a set on my Suzuki TU250X. The reason they are so good is because they are universal and fit practically everything, as long as you get the right size for your handlebars. The CB1100 and the Suzuki TU250X are both 7/8".
Cool! I was just mainly concerned with brake line. I have 1" now & it's pretty tight.
 
mrhonda1987_imp said:
Put simply, after a good 20 miles or so at 55 to 60 mph, my testes are as numb as Hayden Christensen in the new Star Wars movies. My old CB750 caused the same issue, and the seat was much softer on that than the new CB1100. I'm thinking that the 919 would have the same problem, except for the nice forward lean. Any ideas to counteract the numbness? Am I the only one whose manhood feels like its iced down after a ride?
Sir ,
Please change your seat to a more cushiony one . I think That will also change your posture, will provide you more comfort and it will absorb some of the vibrations from the bike that is causing the problem .....

Cheers!!!!!!!!
 
FUZZY_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
FUZZY_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
It seems to me that leaning forward (I have never liked) would make the problem worse and, as BuffaloBill said, leaning back with a forward foot position would relieve pressure from the area. One thing to try would be handlebar risers. They will allow you to not lean forward. I'm still waiting to address the red vs. black issue so I can get my CB but I already have a set of Rox 2" risers ready to go (part# 1R-P2SSN). My friend has a set on his CB1100 and he thinks they're great. They make a bigger difference than you'd think. I think the bike looks better too.
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Yes, they work fine but there is no extra length. Be sure to loosen everything including the throttle assembly. Then cut all zip ties. Zip tie everything back after you've tightened it all back up. Whoever designed these Rox risers is really clever.
BTW, I also have a set on my Suzuki TU250X. The reason they are so good is because they are universal and fit practically everything, as long as you get the right size for your handlebars. The CB1100 and the Suzuki TU250X are both 7/8".
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Yes, they work fine but there is no extra length. Be sure to loosen everything including the throttle assembly. Then cut all zip ties. Zip tie everything back after you've tightened it all back up. Whoever designed these Rox risers is really clever.
BTW, I also have a set on my Suzuki TU250X. The reason they are so good is because they are universal and fit practically everything, as long as you get the right size for your handlebars. The CB1100 and the Suzuki TU250X are both 7/8".
Cool! I was just mainly concerned with brake line. I have 1" now & it's pretty tight.
Did these risers do ok with stock lines/cables?
Yes, they work fine but there is no extra length. Be sure to loosen everything including the throttle assembly. Then cut all zip ties. Zip tie everything back after you've tightened it all back up. Whoever designed these Rox risers is really clever.
BTW, I also have a set on my Suzuki TU250X. The reason they are so good is because they are universal and fit practically everything, as long as you get the right size for your handlebars. The CB1100 and the Suzuki TU250X are both 7/8".
Cool! I was just mainly concerned with brake line. I have 1" now & it's pretty tight.
I watched my friend install them on his CB and it works great but as I said, there is no extra length left over.
 
I have tried the gel pads and the Airhawk pad. They just don't do it for me even though I sold a lot of them when I was in Biss.
and people liked them. Even though my friends call me velcro butt they just move around to much for me.
 
This may not address the OP's specific problem, but wearing bicycling shorts underneath your riding pants makes a huge difference in comfort. Briefs will tend to bunch up and bind when you are moving around in the saddle.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Maybe motorcycle seats should be designed with a slight "dip" at the front of the seat. I suppose a seat could be altered and recovered to prevent such a problem and relieve pressure on the crotch. It might make a difference, especially for long rides. I'm also wondering if an enlarged prostate could have something to do with it on some men. It pushes from the other direction and can be uncomfortable. It's a common problem with older men.
Jim21680_imp said:
Do you wear boxers, boxer briefs, or tighty-whities? I usually wear regular boxers most of the time, but on longer rides, I try to wear boxer briefs. They seems to keep things in place a little better. If you haven't tried them yet, you should pick up a few pairs of silk briefs that feel oh-so-nice :)
*************************************************

I was surprised 2 days ago when my Dr. told me to go back to the titie whities (actually, I have a drawer full of titie blackies). He said it's better on "the boys" if they don't flop around and are more snuggly protected and held in place. Who would have thought?
*************************************************

I was surprised 2 days ago when my Dr. told me to go back to the titie whities (actually, I have a drawer full of titie blackies). He said it's better on "the boys" if they don't flop around and are more snuggly protected and held in place. Who would have thought?
 
Thread starter
Airhawk R ordered. If nothing else, I can use it on any bike that I might need it on, 1100 or otherwise. I'll report back.
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
This may not address the OP's specific problem, but wearing bicycling shorts underneath your riding pants makes a huge difference in comfort. Briefs will tend to bunch up and bind when you are moving around in the saddle.
I second this.. I've found that it's not the hardness of the seat (if it were then no one could be spending entire days riding a road bicycle with an unpadded seat especially with a hard seat nose sticking right where you'd think that it'd be hurting the most, but people do), it's 'where the stuff is' (and that any critical nerves aren't getting pressured).

I've done weeks of consecutive 8-14 hour days on a motorcycle, both feet forward cruisers and lean a little forward sport tour sitting positions without any problems. Wore spandex/nylon bicycle shorts on these trips. Did they actually prevent any numbness or pain problems ? Don't know, but I never experienced a problem doing it this way.
 
BuffaloBill_imp said:
You're not alone. This is common for some, not all. I have had this same issue many different times on different bikes for several years. I'm 52, mostly wear briefs. I have spoken with my doctor and nothing is wrong.

I have found it's a prostate and testicle placement seat positioning thing. Find the right seat and sitting position and I can enjoy the ride.

On my HD I'm OK, because of the seat and riding position with my butt back, feet forward. On all sport bikes (I've owned several) I'm not OK (feet back, leaning too forward into my groin). On the CB1100, feet centered, directly underneath my groin, I'm OK when positioned correctly. However, I'm now convinced I need to replace the stock seat or add a seat pad as I'm leaning a little to forward and with seat contact areas it's painful for me after about 30 to 45 minutes.

In my research I've found an interesting solution such as the Airhawk R. Looks like this can be a big help. Something I'm going to try very soon!! Reference YouTube, Airhawk R Reviews, Revzilla & Competition Access for some great info.

Good on you for the post. Most wouldn't talk about it!
Hi BB,
I tried the Airhawk, I sent it back after a couple of rides. I didn't like the floating feeling over the seat. I didn't feel connected with the bike. So I am going to
Ride stock for a while.

Wayne
 
Jwayne_imp said:
BuffaloBill_imp said:
You're not alone. This is common for some, not all. I have had this same issue many different times on different bikes for several years. I'm 52, mostly wear briefs. I have spoken with my doctor and nothing is wrong.

I have found it's a prostate and testicle placement seat positioning thing. Find the right seat and sitting position and I can enjoy the ride.

On my HD I'm OK, because of the seat and riding position with my butt back, feet forward. On all sport bikes (I've owned several) I'm not OK (feet back, leaning too forward into my groin). On the CB1100, feet centered, directly underneath my groin, I'm OK when positioned correctly. However, I'm now convinced I need to replace the stock seat or add a seat pad as I'm leaning a little to forward and with seat contact areas it's painful for me after about 30 to 45 minutes.

In my research I've found an interesting solution such as the Airhawk R. Looks like this can be a big help. Something I'm going to try very soon!! Reference YouTube, Airhawk R Reviews, Revzilla & Competition Access for some great info.

Good on you for the post. Most wouldn't talk about it!
Hi BB,
I tried the Airhawk, I sent it back after a couple of rides. I didn't like the floating feeling over the seat. I didn't feel connected with the bike. So I am going to
Ride stock for a while.

Wayne
Yeah, I can understand that. I've order the Airhawk R to give it a try with the ability to return it. Based on these posts I'm also going to try the Bicycle shorts. Sounds like this may be the better route. TBD. I'll provide an update when possible. Bottom line is I need to solve the problem ASAP. It's literally a pain in my arse...
 
Years ago I bought a butt buffer gel pad seat for my 750 Nighthawk. I must admit I was not real fond of the squishy disconnected feeling I had while riding with it, especially thru the twisties, so I took it off and just suffered. My younger brother complained about the board hard seat on his Bonneville so I gave the Butt Buffer to him. He absolutely loves it and has it mounted semi permanently on his bike.
 
I started a thread awhile back regarding the beadrider and airhawk mainly for keeping cooler in the wonderful 164% humidity of the Carolinas. Got the Airhawk (the cheap version) and tried it at every air pressure and position imaginable and it did not work for me. I think the crux of the problem is that the stock seat tilts forward and the slow march forward on the seat was exacerbated by the airhawk. This resulted in additional air pressure moving towards the front of the airhawk, which, well, you can figure it out. Seems like the AirHawk R is a direct recognition and response to this problem. (I've decided on the Corbin and I am keeping the Airhawk since I think it may work on the sculpted Corbin saddle.)
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
This may not address the OP's specific problem, but wearing bicycling shorts underneath your riding pants makes a huge difference in comfort. Briefs will tend to bunch up and bind when you are moving around in the saddle.
oldgoat01_imp said:
I started a thread awhile back regarding the beadrider and airhawk mainly for keeping cooler in the wonderful 164% humidity of the Carolinas. Got the Airhawk (the cheap version) and tried it at every air pressure and position imaginable and it did not work for me. I think the crux of the problem is that the stock seat tilts forward and the slow march forward on the seat was exacerbated by the airhawk. This resulted in additional air pressure moving towards the front of the airhawk, which, well, you can figure it out. Seems like the AirHawk R is a direct recognition and response to this problem. (I've decided on the Corbin and I am keeping the Airhawk since I think it may work on the sculpted Corbin saddle.)
Good info, especially on tilt forward, are you getting the Chip Beck model Corbin? Either way, please report back, not sure if I want to buy a seat or muffler next..
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Yoyodyne_imp said:
This may not address the OP's specific problem, but wearing bicycling shorts underneath your riding pants makes a huge difference in comfort. Briefs will tend to bunch up and bind when you are moving around in the saddle.
oldgoat01_imp said:
I started a thread awhile back regarding the beadrider and airhawk mainly for keeping cooler in the wonderful 164% humidity of the Carolinas. Got the Airhawk (the cheap version) and tried it at every air pressure and position imaginable and it did not work for me. I think the crux of the problem is that the stock seat tilts forward and the slow march forward on the seat was exacerbated by the airhawk. This resulted in additional air pressure moving towards the front of the airhawk, which, well, you can figure it out. Seems like the AirHawk R is a direct recognition and response to this problem. (I've decided on the Corbin and I am keeping the Airhawk since I think it may work on the sculpted Corbin saddle.)
Good info, especially on tilt forward, are you getting the Chip Beck model Corbin? Either way, please report back, not sure if I want to buy a seat or muffler next..
oldgoat01_imp said:
I started a thread awhile back regarding the beadrider and airhawk mainly for keeping cooler in the wonderful 164% humidity of the Carolinas. Got the Airhawk (the cheap version) and tried it at every air pressure and position imaginable and it did not work for me. I think the crux of the problem is that the stock seat tilts forward and the slow march forward on the seat was exacerbated by the airhawk. This resulted in additional air pressure moving towards the front of the airhawk, which, well, you can figure it out. Seems like the AirHawk R is a direct recognition and response to this problem. (I've decided on the Corbin and I am keeping the Airhawk since I think it may work on the sculpted Corbin saddle.)
Good info, especially on tilt forward, are you getting the Chip Beck model Corbin? Either way, please report back, not sure if I want to buy a seat or muffler next..
You will not regret getting the stock version of the Corbin. No comparison & you won't be needing a maxipad. :D
 
[/QUOTE]

Good info, especially on tilt forward, are you getting the Chip Beck model Corbin? Either way, please report back, not sure if I want to buy a seat or muffler next..
[/QUOTE]

I went back and forth on this one. The first time I called Corbin, the guy told me if you didn't get all that fancy stitching, the foam would separate from the leather and it would not be covered under the warranty. I asked Chip about this and he confirmed with Corbin that this was not the case. So the dilemma is that I like the look of the Beck Spec seat better, but intuitively see the advantages of the stitching. In talking to Corbin again today, they said the standard model is supposed to be a bit more comfortable out of the box and is less likely to separate. I also bugged Mr. Fuzzy, who assured me that the standard was comfortable. Seems like there is always a trade-off between form and function. In any case, I went ahead and ordered the standard version today.

Next up for me is luggage, talk about a form versus function situation!
 
Purchased both the Airhawk R and Aero Tech Designs, Gel Padded Bicycle Shorts

Revzilla, Airhawk R Shop Airhawk Seats Online - RevZilla

Aero Tech Designs, Gel Padded Bicycle Shorts: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051GPTLS/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item


Airhawk R: Good quality product. Works as advertised. Was much more comfortable than the stock seat, but just didn't feel right on the CB1100. As Ferret previously posted, squishy, not connected to the bike. However, it did fit and feel very right on my HD Road King. For that reason I will likely keep it for long cross state / country type rides. I can understand why so many reviewers praise it for that reason.

Gel Padded Bicycle Shorts: Surprisingly, they worked a lot better than I thought it would! Better than the Airhawk R for sure. More comfortable, better connected with the bike, helped the ride a lot! Still not perfect as after you get off the bike you feel like you're walking around with a load in your pants. But much more comfortable. I will likely keep them also.

All things considered, $160 for the Airhawk R, $69 for the shorts. Not great, but also not bad compared to a new $500 - $700 seat that I'm not sure will even solve the problem and can't return.

I press on... Likely buying a new seat at some point. TBD.
 
Thread starter
Well chaps, I can happily report that the Airhawk R is worth every penny they ask for. After a spirited ride on the CB11, my gentleman's region was much happier; more like Harrison Ford in old Star Wars, as opposed to Hayden Christensen in the new Star Wars. Honestly, I'm really thinking I'll keep it and not go after that Victory. V-twins are so mainstream... listen to me. Like a hipster.
 
Back
Top