A problem for men...

mrhonda1987_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Put simply, after a good 20 miles or so at 55 to 60 mph, my testes are as numb as Hayden Christensen in the new Star Wars movies. My old CB750 caused the same issue, and the seat was much softer on that than the new CB1100. I'm thinking that the 919 would have the same problem, except for the nice forward lean. Any ideas to counteract the numbness? Am I the only one whose manhood feels like its iced down after a ride?
 
Thread starter
Buffalohead_imp said:
I would think leaning forward would make it worse. I can't believe I even responded to this thread! :s
I guess I assumed as seasoned older men, we could discuss something like this without schoolboy silliness.
 
mrhonda1987_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
I would think leaning forward would make it worse. I can't believe I even responded to this thread! :s
I guess I assumed as seasoned older men, we could discuss something like this without schoolboy silliness.
I guess I assumed as seasoned older men, we could discuss something like this without schoolboy silliness.
I was only kidding. I did give you my opinion. Some guys will refrain from going there at all.
mrhonda1987,
The more I think about your problem, it occurs to me that I have never had such a problem on any bike. Perhaps you might get checked out. It's probably not anything medical but it's something to consider. Especially, as you said, we are getting older.
 
This is a common problem on a bicycle. I would suggest moving around a little a trying to get the blood flow back. Sounds simple but that's what works for me on the pedal bike.
 
Do you wear boxers, boxer briefs, or tighty-whities? I usually wear regular boxers most of the time, but on longer rides, I try to wear boxer briefs. They seems to keep things in place a little better. If you haven't tried them yet, you should pick up a few pairs of silk briefs that feel oh-so-nice :)
 
Maybe motorcycle seats should be designed with a slight "dip" at the front of the seat. I suppose a seat could be altered and recovered to prevent such a problem and relieve pressure on the crotch. It might make a difference, especially for long rides. I'm also wondering if an enlarged prostate could have something to do with it on some men. It pushes from the other direction and can be uncomfortable. It's a common problem with older men.
Jim21680_imp said:
Do you wear boxers, boxer briefs, or tighty-whities? I usually wear regular boxers most of the time, but on longer rides, I try to wear boxer briefs. They seems to keep things in place a little better. If you haven't tried them yet, you should pick up a few pairs of silk briefs that feel oh-so-nice :)
*************************************************

I was surprised 2 days ago when my Dr. told me to go back to the titie whities (actually, I have a drawer full of titie blackies). He said it's better on "the boys" if they don't flop around and are more snuggly protected and held in place. Who would have thought?
 
Might be time to check with your doctor. I've currently got the CB11, CBR1000RR, ST1300, and VFR1200F. I've recently had CBR600RR, 919, GL1800, Vmax, FZ-1. None of the problems you've mentioned, either riding on the street or on the race track.

Talk to your doc. We're just a bunch of knuckleheads. :D
 
Thread starter
thumper_imp said:
Might be time to check with your doctor. I've currently got the CB11, CBR1000RR, ST1300, and VFR1200F. I've recently had CBR600RR, 919, GL1800, Vmax, FZ-1. None of the problems you've mentioned, either riding on the street or on the race track.

Talk to your doc. We're just a bunch of knuckleheads. :D
True enough, but it seems this is a pretty persistent problem among motorcyclists, as a quick google search shows issues with some sportbikes and the flat seat Triumphs. Didn't know if I was alone or not.
 
You're not alone. This is common for some, not all. I have had this same issue many different times on different bikes for several years. I'm 52, mostly wear briefs. I have spoken with my doctor and nothing is wrong.

I have found it's a prostate and testicle placement seat positioning thing. Find the right seat and sitting position and I can enjoy the ride.

On my HD I'm OK, because of the seat and riding position with my butt back, feet forward. On all sport bikes (I've owned several) I'm not OK (feet back, leaning too forward into my groin). On the CB1100, feet centered, directly underneath my groin, I'm OK when positioned correctly. However, I'm now convinced I need to replace the stock seat or add a seat pad as I'm leaning a little to forward and with seat contact areas it's painful for me after about 30 to 45 minutes.

In my research I've found an interesting solution such as the Airhawk R. Looks like this can be a big help. Something I'm going to try very soon!! Reference YouTube, Airhawk R Reviews, Revzilla & Competition Access for some great info.

Good on you for the post. Most wouldn't talk about it!
 
Have you considered trying an airhawk, or gel cushion?
 
My tail bone gets numb/sore after an hour or so...I was assuming this is what most people mean when they say the CB1100 seat is uncomfortable. I was hoping going to a Corbin may help, the AirHawk may work but seems cheesy....
 
HikerToo_imp said:
My tail bone gets numb/sore after an hour or so...I was assuming this is what most people mean when they say the CB1100 seat is uncomfortable. I was hoping going to a Corbin may help, the AirHawk may work but seems cheesy....
Yea its my tailbone that gets sore ..nads are fine (actually there are two pelvic bones that tend to get sore) and yes an airhawk or gel pad may be a bit cheesy, but I look at it this way. It only bothers me on long trips. For around town riding I'm good with the stock seat. I'm not going to spend $500 or $600 to cure a problem that only comes up once or twice a year. I like the way the stock seat looks. I may talk to Frank at Greatdaytoride.com who altered my stock ST seat. He made it more comfortable while retaining the stock appearance, for less than $100. I'd go for that.
 
It seems to me that leaning forward (I have never liked) would make the problem worse and, as BuffaloBill said, leaning back with a forward foot position would relieve pressure from the area. One thing to try would be handlebar risers. They will allow you to not lean forward. I'm still waiting to address the red vs. black issue so I can get my CB but I already have a set of Rox 2" risers ready to go (part# 1R-P2SSN). My friend has a set on his CB1100 and he thinks they're great. They make a bigger difference than you'd think. I think the bike looks better too.
 
Back
Top