A lap around Lake Superior

Ole

Been there
Thread starter
Lake Superior has always intrigued me. I have been around it in a truck but not on a bike. My son had a week off work and our passports were up to date so away we went.

Lake Superior:
largest fresh water lake in the world
over 350 ships lay on her bottom
350 miles east to west
160 miles north to south
deepest point 1,333 feet
average water temp 40F (brrrrr)
large enough to contain all the other Great Lakes plus 3 more Lake Erie's
could cover all of North America in water three feet deep
is large enough to create it's own weather patterns

e6961010309a230900d6e6f2c222635a.jpg


The guy who bought one of my old bikes went with us. I put 28,000 miles on the Versys I sold him in 2 and a half years now it is up to 40,000 with no probs.
Ready for take off


e300905bbd318b33d1a951a201b0c025.jpg


My son rides a 2002 Honda VTX 1800. I had a VTX years ago also. Mine had 48,500 miles on it when I traded it. We ride. :D

5bed12e3af5043b874b5afc6d5d0d6eb.jpg

Our trip lasted 7 days and covered 2200 miles. 5 nights in a tent and 1 night in a motel.
We didn't get as early a start as I wanted so we just hi speed slabbed it to Duluth, MN the first day. Wisconsin Point near Superior, WI has some nice harbor views.

16101775f6be74ca10785178af238a95.jpg


it seems like half of my pics are the same three bikes,,,

dd1487f903c913c41520ee4c2fd166aa.jpg


We camped on Spirit Mountain above Duluth

159107f051e6417f19e32cf9fad7ebe5.jpg


9e4f9c805d43a694b274a57ae3c58051.jpg


Skyline Parkway was a nice above the city ride

e1eb279f33d99ef6bca814e735dafc1f.jpg


Soon Hy 61 took us down to the Lake. It would become an old friend after 7 days

57ac8254a8290618527d38f9786da298.jpg


Split Rock Lighthouse on the north shore Minnesota

b8c27bcbc9cb528cc50478b21a159410.jpg


we explored harbors, boat landings, taconite factory's and anything else that tickled our fancy as I had promised my son there would be no death march iron butt rides like his Dad is used to.

we made many stops along the pond

4424ae57ee6db08c4cc41cc98f5729e0.jpg


29a357afbc91dfe045bf65efe294c37c.jpg

So basically, we just chilled and rode bikes and drank beer and camped.
This was our theme.

483abbb4f43017ef7ce40e6c64dffbe6.jpg


We set up our tents at the Grand Marais MN campground and took a run up The Gunflint Trail. A blacktop road that ends near Canada. It was a fur trapper route.

Grand Marais

3d8dae3a0e1d5235f3c3568b8767c9fd.jpg


c142921138e2b0952dfd656f6c7323e3.jpg


up The Gunflint to the lake country

0d3963bf544ce97a949b035a73b42a95.jpg


this is Gunflint Lake
the other side is Canada but you can't drive there must take a boat

daaa579af74fa80bf226f30c2f2956d2.jpg


nearing the end of the 63 mile dead end we spotted a critter

161e3d33ff626862ad9da33885814566.jpg


1dafc8d473733f6d8fd10dfc0f6db123.jpg


she had no calve with her, wolf must of got him

124dcc55fb702f01fa8f48e3158b62d1.jpg
 
Nice! Beautiful territory. Any troubles at all?
 
Thread starter
Hawk, it was a very relaxing week. With great weather.
This is where my Dad and I and two high school buddies put in our canoes in May of 1980 for a canoe trip into Canada. It is Saganaga Lake.

09f1c90a57d004642676ab75c4a40b08.jpg


I remember meeting two hippies smoking pot in their canoe on the second to last day of our canoe trip. We asked them if anything new had happened in the world as we had no contact with anyone for about 10 days. They said "dude havent you heard about that mountain that blew up in Washington and buried a bunch of dudes alive?"
no we hadn't heard that and for sure did not believe them for a minute
they was just pot smoking hippies right? what do they know?
Of course as soon as we hit the landing a couple told us that indeed Mt St Helens had erupted and killed 60 people

We got off the bikes at the end of the road Nat Forest campground and just hung
it was 80F up there very warm for late september

327d48f5b2cc44c5c6edc09d3cafd43c.jpg


20b1b191e8a20af2c428b5b589554606.jpg


a father/son chilling

ce0de697c12f12584c3dee2f75e436b9.jpg


7987e07582ca03a46d9e34f125b88965.jpg


our campsite was about 100 yards from the big lake
we walked into town for beers and supper

524c676dfe3cac41a4a17658e8b0204b.jpg


the marina at Grand Marais

b634b057f89cc347e0f8f08474dc5d50.jpg


322d098fb1fdaf791cb82af0093cee14.jpg


Oh Canada in the morning,,,,,
The ferret_imp said:
Nice! Beautiful territory. Any troubles at all?
mr ferret the bikes ran perfect no troubles at all
I had enough tools along to do a major engine rebuild and did not even take em out of the bag
of course I take a small air comp and tire plugger on all my trips and have used them on several occasions but not this time
the only prob we had was one shoulder blade pain and one sore hamstring
but the old guy (me) had no issues it was the youngsters who did:D
I guess my body is used to long rides I have done so many
I know how you guys and gals like pics so I will link some more in here.

A solo to Alaska:
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?200992-A-little-ride-to-Alaska&highlight=balou

A solo Versys ride out west: (the same Versys in this report)
18 days on a Versys

The long way to Seattle on a Phantom:
A Phantom Ramble

My son and I on a Hyder Alaska run:
Just a few pics
 
Woot! Duluth is my old stamping ground but never made it around the lake. Up the north shore and over to the UP but that was it. Nice pictures! :worship:
 
Awesome ride reports on the other forums as well.

I love ride reports .... And mountains
 
Thread starter
Our border crossing into Canada was short and uneventful. It took about 90 seconds. Thunder Bay was fogged in so we hung at a Tim Horton's til it cleared.

The Border

65501960b72dca3f61a61dea7e495e08.jpg


The sun burnt through and the road was never far from Superior

c7bfd26f5fbf5881e16f0a4a61987a1e.jpg


2013f74e3a21322328dabb80578127ed.jpg


many stops we were on vacation

5889b6a81e70a465922718e86d3bb389.jpg


for the most part we stayed off the dirt but,,,,

cdda2070a2b96dca62b0ddc73beb915b.jpg


87a6cc2defc6abad65b91c01ee6a0b1f.jpg


Canada was nice

f30791a8c14810b7f09fc67afe670d03.jpg


0e10ac100b941cba513aa6b3c1faece2.jpg

We camped at the city park in Marathon Ontario for $22 and it included a shower!

7c81c377fde08d2098daf44ec8d876de.jpg


ff7dc688d503e1aec9afb16d60acaea7.jpg


and free campfire wood

7a23af102f9ce665f99368855071f76d.jpg


Went in to town for food and beer, no luck on the beer. The Beer Store closed at 6pm and the grocery stores do not sell beer in Canada

our highest gas price for the trip was $1.44 a liter here.

4085b27d2062765a1607fb4a6ac5ecbe.jpg

Wawa Ontario must be a goose hunting hotspot
They had several huge goose statues

cb272d37adea46b9bfcf7096ef500fcd.jpg


d854f8ff06d332348c2c69fdea5e03e4.jpg


9828e6d78bf78cf97294c12096f2f7b3.jpg


A sign in Wawa said the record low temp was -66F
today it was a balmy 84F
many little lakes around Wawa

3e4c8a41cf8dc04ac17d50533a6957e0.jpg


A beautiful day to ride no wind

e7fbcf3c83d46be9cc557eadd66d898d.jpg


We got into an area of Lake Superior that had many islands

e0b03ea3205af6c0b70bbc3bc3d795db.jpg


72f5a5d6b0ba1b07f19cb70b55c319fd.jpg


traffic was starting to pick up as we were getting close to America

e5e1f67f51ed7a75bce6e2fa3a68c508.jpg
 
very nice post, love the pics and the comments, I stopped doing long camp trips on motorcycles years ago, nice to see some who still do!
Which wind screen is that on the CB, NC Deflector?
 
Thread starter
HikerToo_imp said:
very nice post, love the pics and the comments, I stopped doing long camp trips on motorcycles years ago, nice to see some who still do!
Which wind screen is that on the CB, NC Deflector?
Yes. And I am not a rich man. Bike camping trips are in my budget. I could never do this if I moteled every night.


After 2 days in Canada we hit Sault Ste. Marie.It was a very busy border crossing but it was fast because they has all the lines staffed. bing we are back in the USA. Found a campground walking distance from the Soo Locks. Right on the water.

e81dd3f4c640a94cc645c8451b0aaa96.jpg


We weren't set up 5 minutes when the campground owner threatened to toss us out. :@ Was she HOT. Our tents we still wet from a heavy dew the night before? So we moved a picnic table from an empty campsite closer to ours so we could lay everything out in the sunlight?
She did not like that one bit. We called her the nazi but not to her face.
I liked the location so we mellowed and didn't yell back at her.

9e42086c5249cd9385183ff14e2f3537.jpg


Once the fur quit flying we sat on the river and watched the big ships go to the locks.

e2436f85063cbc122e60926c4bc3ac87.jpg


29e4c21b2dbea2bb8097e47aa43742e5.jpg


these guys had some nice northerns

419317d82d1eda307c5ffc8f78359bc3.jpg


it cost us $3 to cross this bridge into America

40310f9ae43cec7c14910f8b939f27a2.jpg


the Locks

7038f2ddc5a487e0798a72fd4b0ec3b4.jpg


f5d13d33a8e41d58e04a3a1c6346e408.jpg


fb379bf14538e567bf37c051a3311201.jpg

We ate and beered at The Antlers Bar
and watched the ore boats go by as doing so it was a funky place
wonder how they got that name?

69307297c0caf5940163067367a8d751.jpg


410ef4af2d88f8be62d2dc21da86a98e.jpg


6285f451a2cb616bc9c1c837f5923aa6.jpg



e25b2bdc3a48df18420b65dd13fce11e.jpg


545122ffca0859b443098848556d5df9.jpg

This ship was full of coal from Sandusky Ohio
As soon as they closed the locks the workers came out of their quaters and started to unlock all the hatchs. They had to unload as soon as they got through the locks on the Canada side at a big power plant.
They were moving fast.

ee28905ff8ff57ccfafbda3debad05b6.jpg


0f88323c81496d6dd141a2b3f2ba473c.jpg


After a few minutes see how much higher he is? opened the upper locks and boom away he went to deliver his load. No pumping of any water just gravity.

36232eb633fe8cec7fe3789ae2f0cfc2.jpg


d6108a1f669f3a6cdb3b0cd168d44da1.jpg


he had the 4 barrel kicked in

0352e7c2abb554abddb196291ed79ac0.jpg

Ore boats went by all night long. We could hear their engines humming and they blew their horns a lot.

5e871b5acd21d83eda51d8637f804068.jpg


3bab6c4a79a6ac54f8bd4c44b38bb860.jpg


twas a very busy place

c8ad794d908927c77fb9e4c567ca029c.jpg


coming and going both ways

the old power house all hand laid bricks very intricate like

d8179dee511732457a7f20d28fa81e51.jpg


a7175c51b2a92f2dc009031ab9a9ef84.jpg


I would like to go back to that campground and stay longer just to watch the boats go by
if the nazi lady would just stay in her office that would be great
 
Nice travel report with lots of pics. The Lighthouse pic was my favorite. "The Antlers Bar" What a lovely room of death.
The Nazi lady shouldn't bother you as long as you don't move her picnic tables LOL.
 
When I lived in Duluth I got to go on the Stennis, a 1000'+ self unloader like you show there. Very interesting ship.
 
Thread starter
From Sault Ste. Marie, MI, we just high tailed it to Grand Marais, MI. It was fun in spots

3e26c13a07c531211b777e212b196c11.jpg


We again picked up the Big Lake at Grand Marais

e83e92d6e07c58e7ef93b4c7c73c4373.jpg


afbe06395afd3b716b6bea8bfcaa9d28.jpg


the restored lighthouse keepers shack

6e8f11b3f7b71adeb47a24940abf68f0.jpg


75be7c123ce5e6cef40775efbf488243.jpg


H58 is a great twisty road. It goes from Grand Marais to Munising. It is The U.P.'s version of Deals Gap. Don't miss it if you are in the area. :thumbsup:

We then followed the lake to the Keweenaw. A point of land that juts out into Lake Superior. With Copper Harbor at the tip. This was our campsite near Calumet:

e3c676e5a9f70fece0054d84027df31b.jpg


It had a dirt bike trail right behind us.

c74a1732649bab8f7535d2aec6a7e795.jpg


guess the lamp will have to do for a campfire tonight boys

e83d10c204f803cd7b44c78759f77956.jpg

Great views of the lake up in The Keweenaw but it was kinda touristy

24bd813b6ac6972bef53466810b31cb9.jpg


9491cf9e81936c2bff8c3428cff50208.jpg


The guy that owns this brewery in Copper Harbor is an ADVrider. Alas, he was closed.:@

6f0b88ab4796769542834ddb7d47c046.jpg


would have loved to sample that Smoked Porter

a745efe7302c6efd7b15e8fb6da7238f.jpg


my son knew a guy with a cabin on this lake but he wasn't home either.

6bff51af33e530d7c1daac3a24a10212.jpg


2b2498d5d4f567db401f8b574e3fe989.jpg


3f10253ddcd3571ab15a7f00e0b0fd59.jpg


Over to Ontonagon for one last view of Superior

a3748cecbbe5b09d54662b7e5851e4c6.jpg


f33d29d55379f73023c8017874e538f8.jpg
 
Great pics ole. I have some similar from my last trip up there. Copper harbor was a dissapointment, but the road leading out of there 26? was pretty cool except for the wind blown sand. I love the UP even if there are no mountains.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Great pics ole. I have some similar from my last trip up there. Copper harbor was a dissapointment, but the road leading out of there 26? was pretty cool except for the wind blown sand. I love the UP even if there are no mountains.
I have been bumming around The UP for about 40 years. Different way of life up there very laid back. There are a few good roads but one has to sniff them out. Around Ralph there's a gud one, M26 along the shore up to Copper Harbor is good, US 41 coming out of Copper is good, avoid Brockway Mtn not worth it, the already mentioned H58 out of Grand Marais is good, 550 north of Marquette is short but OK, and there is a TON of good dirt around Gwinn if that is your thing. Our family had a cabin on Golden Lake near Iron River for many years, I don't think there is a road in The UP I havn't done!
The Porcupine Mtns. I used to backpack the porkies in my youth

e4e7e092be66e1758b895f55e768a665.jpg


South Boundary Rd in The Porkies is very twisty.
Don't see many of these left

7c358f5cf5cafd136936cd82308a6b65.jpg


Near The Porkies

85735661b9e587a0ca1b55571710ad11.jpg


4478263ccccbeeea08cbc425c0334607.jpg


7a73acf223bc5e3ad134525b28740324.jpg


We all had to work soon so sadly we had to head south. :@
So long lake Superior we will catch you again next year

ab0e329a89e1dd0b54127e312732928f.jpg

8ebaf3ff5ff86546c50cd262b3849c86.jpg


f061b8410b54564e4977001fd24e8313.jpg


Our old cabin near Iron River. Looks like the new owner is taking good care of her

ac566d895d1104724008eab4ae6957b4.jpg


Golden Lake where our cabin was. It is full of Lake Trout and do they ever taste good when caught through the ice

5275dfc10f728d7a4054e83c7b288fe1.jpg


Going through Phelps WI it started to rain. Our only rain in 7 days. It lasted about a half hour and we camped in Eagle River WI at Hi Pines Resort. I ve been there before and even got my fav campsite

489a99b2ff5ecb2f67d4673c35c58b51.jpg


26648c8b054fba9650c5089eb1fe091d.jpg


The red maples were all ablaze in Northrn WI. Canada the leaves were still green. Hi Pines has a bar and pizza joint and since it was near the end of the season beers and pizza were half price. 3 of us beered and ate and watched Ohio State beat Wisconsin for $32 all night! We got lucky on that.

last day was a quick 250 miles home on roads we had all done hundreds of times. So no pics.

The bikes ran great. No one texting took us out. A few close calls with deer but that's everywhere. I only checked my fuel mileage on the CB once and it got 50.2 mpg. It needs highway pegs and I have a plan for that this winter. It was a fun trip even better my son was along.
 
Back
Top