A Harley to lust for

Agree, that's a very nice build. Lovely bike and it appeals to me too. I wish he would have taken it one step further and replaced the mags with spokes.
 
Thread starter
I agree, spokes would be uber nice. Not sure if they make them (surely they do!). A couple guys in the motorcycle coffee klutch are also keen on this bike and wonder why Harley doesn't make one.

Alas; it does not speak to their core group and I think their core group repulses new buyers that don't want to be seen as "Harley" riders. And younger buyers are more into transformer styled bikes leaving us.....uh, "classical" guys and gals to appreciate your standard bike. It's a small and dying off demographic.

I'd have to sell off the Griso to get the funds to finance this build. Not sure I'm willing to do that.
 
So, just replace EVERYTHING and the HD becomes desirable? Not sure I follow that logic. It seems to me what is desirable here is the look, which is that of a different motorcycle.


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
WhiskeyUSMC1979_imp said:
So, just replace EVERYTHING and the HD becomes desirable? Not sure I follow that logic. It seems to me what is desirable here is the look, which is that of a different motorcycle.


Sent from an undisclosed location
That's why it's desirable, now it doesn't look like a Harley.
 
Thread starter
In the article in the link I posted, all he replaced was the gas tank, seat, head light and front fender. He did replace the air cleaner but went back to stock. The only things that needed replacing: tank and seat.

So a very simple and "cheap" modification. Simpler than some mods I've seen done on our CB's.
Ferret; I like the cafe harley, but I'm pretty sure my back and legs would prefer the standard look provided in the link. :) I also have a learned aversion to SuperTrapp's.
 
Rboe_imp said:
In the article in the link I posted, all he replaced was the gas tank, seat, head light and front fender. He did replace the air cleaner but went back to stock. The only things that needed replacing: tank and seat.

So a very simple and "cheap" modification. Simpler than some mods I've seen done on our CB's.
Ferret; I like the cafe harley, but I'm pretty sure my back and legs would prefer the standard look provided in the link. :) I also have a learned aversion to SuperTrapp's.
Yea that bike I posted would still look great with a set of normal bars on it and some mid mount pegs. The seat and tank are gorgeous.
 
Thread starter
That tank design screams HD so I see why they did it. But the CB500T tanks makes more sense. Dang seat is too low too (hey, I can flat foot any dirt bike so coming from me there is a built in bias).

What's with small fenders? Is there a tax on them I don't know about? Sheesh, a proper fender on both ends keeps crap off the bike and the rider. Not those POS's.

Too much style, not enough nods to practicality. :snaps his suspenders:
 
I couldn't agree with you more, especially with the current fashion of shortened fenders. When I look at that new Roadster, I can't help but stare at that stupid looking tank and drooped headlight. The recurring thought in my mind is "hunchback." And sorry to repeat myself, but I'm not fond of black wheels. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Meanwhile, the green bike is absolutely gorgeous. It would look equally cool with a Vincent or old Triumph or Norton mill, but that Sporty engine is fine too.
 
First off

I love when anyone can fabricate something into something uniquely theirs, without changing the mechanics of the original donor bike..

The article says xr1200r, but it doesn't look like the xr1200r that I have seen with the higher dual pipes, that looks the flat tracker of old. As I understand it, it's a much hotter setup than the standard 1200 sportster.. To me that would be the one to start with :)

As far as tank height.. I can't speak to the sportster line, but I know the dyna lime (I recently picked up a wide glide ...uhhh cheap) that there are spacers under the tank to raise it up, especially in the front.. The HD crowd appears to want to sit inside or have the tank raised. No idea why, maybe rs more chopperesque, dunno.. I can see where another non Harley tank could be fabricated to give it an more level looking stance.. I would also see where a small increase in ride height could also be done by longer/stiffer shocks in the rear (and maybe dropping the forks a tiny bit) without having to redo,the drivetrain..

I like it...
 
I've owned 2 Harleys, and ridden many. They do enjoy a certain ability to generate appeal. Sadly the appeal wanes with every mile. To each their own, but as far as a bike to ride, for me, there are many ahead on the list.
 
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
First off

I love when anyone can fabricate something into something uniquely theirs, without changing the mechanics of the original donor bike..

The article says xr1200r, but it doesn't look like the xr1200r that I have seen with the higher dual pipes, that looks the flat tracker of old. As I understand it, it's a much hotter setup than the standard 1200 sportster.. To me that would be the one to start with :)

As far as tank height.. I can't speak to the sportster line, but I know the dyna lime (I recently picked up a wide glide ...uhhh cheap) that there are spacers under the tank to raise it up, especially in the front.. The HD crowd appears to want to sit inside or have the tank raised. No idea why, maybe rs more chopperesque, dunno.. I can see where another non Harley tank could be fabricated to give it an more level looking stance.. I would also see where a small increase in ride height could also be done by longer/stiffer shocks in the rear (and maybe dropping the forks a tiny bit) without having to redo,the drivetrain..

I like it...
It's actually the XL1200R. These were a slightly hotter version with dual discs up front, adjustable suspension, and a tach.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
Hondahawkrider_imp said:
First off

I love when anyone can fabricate something into something uniquely theirs, without changing the mechanics of the original donor bike..

The article says xr1200r, but it doesn't look like the xr1200r that I have seen with the higher dual pipes, that looks the flat tracker of old. As I understand it, it's a much hotter setup than the standard 1200 sportster.. To me that would be the one to start with :)

As far as tank height.. I can't speak to the sportster line, but I know the dyna lime (I recently picked up a wide glide ...uhhh cheap) that there are spacers under the tank to raise it up, especially in the front.. The HD crowd appears to want to sit inside or have the tank raised. No idea why, maybe rs more chopperesque, dunno.. I can see where another non Harley tank could be fabricated to give it an more level looking stance.. I would also see where a small increase in ride height could also be done by longer/stiffer shocks in the rear (and maybe dropping the forks a tiny bit) without having to redo,the drivetrain..

I like it...
It's actually the XL1200R. These were a slightly hotter version with dual discs up front, adjustable suspension, and a tach.
It's actually the XL1200R. These were a slightly hotter version with dual discs up front, adjustable suspension, and a tach.
Maybe I mis read it... However, I can see that it's a XL1200R in the article as a donor bike... I went back and looked and the article has it listed as xr1200r - which I think is incorrect..

I was talking about the XR1200 or XR1200x (no L in the name), that had more HP...

basically this

8f6b911e83d4edbe458d985c2a0e7d37.jpg


def a different beast....
 
Back
Top