A few changes - Ongoing Saga

camoto_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm on a bit of a journey with this bike. After putting a couple thousand miles on it and learning what I like and don't like I'm starting to make some more changes.

Today I completed the "controls" update. I started with Pazzo levers when I first got the bike but finished up by adding Rizoma risers, Renthal bars and Rizoma bar ends. The mirrors are the Bikemaster Tube mirrors. I also changed out the turn signals for the LP aluminum ones front and rear which are way smaller and look way less goofy than the stock '13 signals. I have the Puig raptor on there but honestly I don't think I like the look. I've got a Dart on the way in midnight and I am going to try that as well. Based on what I am seeing I think I will prefer the Dart.

The position is a lot more natural to me, I felt like I was halfway between forward controls position and standard. This gets my torso a bit more forward, my wrists a bit more straight and puts my hips in a better position on the Corbin seat and it's even more comfortable now. Again key words here are "for me".

Headlight is the JW Speaker and I have a thread for it here:
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight

This winter I have a few things planned. I'm going to be powdercoating the wheels black, and I am going to try to replicate the Bad Seeds side covers. I'm going to leave the fenders chrome as I don't want a completely blacked out look. Along with this I am going to be moving to a 19T front sprocket and I'll be doing a bunch of driveline maintenance (new chain, cush, tires). I've already replaced the pads with EBC HH and they bite great.

I have some cheapo aluminum pegs on there. The rubber OEM ones felt too bulky to me and I felt disconnected to the bike when pushing on the outside peg in turns. The rubber moved around too much on the peg.

Still torn on the SW Motech bars. I'm not into the look of them and I already pay for insurance on the bike so why do I need them. I don't have the OEM hardware that goes back on it so that's the only thing keeping me from ripping them off right now.

I'm also going to swap out these ridiculously terrible stock shocks for something that holds a solid line in a rough turn. These shocks are great for relaxed riding but as soon as you get a little aggressive with them they fall apart. Still trying to figure out what to get here. My heart says Ohlins but my brain tells me that there are other choices. I want something a bit better than the Ikons. (Nothing against them just looking for something I can push a bit harder, the roads I ride on are not in the greatest condition).

Anyways, no post complete without pics. I'll use this as my "build thread" for those who are interested in watching this hot mess.






Keep an eye on the classifieds section for anything that comes off the bike, as I'll be trying to unload the stuff here before I go to ebay.
 
I love my SW Motech bars but after someone ran into me I sadly scratched one of them up! I have a pair of sliders as well (Baby Face from Webike) but I'd take those SWs off your hands in trade for the stock parts! I always keep the old stuff when I put on the new. I may be interested in the Ikons as well if you get them and don't love them...
 
camoto_imp said:
I'm on a bit of a journey with this bike. After putting a couple thousand miles on it and learning what I like and don't like I'm starting to make some more changes.

Today I completed the "controls" update. I started with Pazzo levers when I first got the bike but finished up by adding Rizoma risers, Renthal bars and Rizoma bar ends. The mirrors are the Bikemaster Tube mirrors. I also changed out the turn signals for the LP aluminum ones front and rear which are way smaller and look way less goofy than the stock '13 signals. I have the Puig raptor on there but honestly I don't think I like the look. I've got a Dart on the way in midnight and I am going to try that as well. Based on what I am seeing I think I will prefer the Dart.

The position is a lot more natural to me, I felt like I was halfway between forward controls position and standard. This gets my torso a bit more forward, my wrists a bit more straight and puts my hips in a better position on the Corbin seat and it's even more comfortable now. Again key words here are "for me".

Headlight is the JW Speaker and I have a thread for it here:
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution 2 Headlight

This winter I have a few things planned. I'm going to be powdercoating the wheels black, and I am going to try to replicate the Bad Seeds side covers. I'm going to leave the fenders chrome as I don't want a completely blacked out look. Along with this I am going to be moving to a 19T front sprocket and I'll be doing a bunch of driveline maintenance (new chain, cush, tires). I've already replaced the pads with EBC HH and they bite great.

I have some cheapo aluminum pegs on there. The rubber OEM ones felt too bulky to me and I felt disconnected to the bike when pushing on the outside peg in turns. The rubber moved around too much on the peg.

Still torn on the SW Motech bars. I'm not into the look of them and I already pay for insurance on the bike so why do I need them. I don't have the OEM hardware that goes back on it so that's the only thing keeping me from ripping them off right now.

I'm also going to swap out these ridiculously terrible stock shocks for something that holds a solid line in a rough turn. These shocks are great for relaxed riding but as soon as you get a little aggressive with them they fall apart. Still trying to figure out what to get here. My heart says Ohlins but my brain tells me that there are other choices. I want something a bit better than the Ikons. (Nothing against them just looking for something I can push a bit harder, the roads I ride on are not in the greatest condition).

Anyways, no post complete without pics. I'll use this as my "build thread" for those who are interested in watching this hot mess.






Keep an eye on the classifieds section for anything that comes off the bike, as I'll be trying to unload the stuff here before I go to ebay.
Is your deductible less the the price of replacement crash bars, or a can of paint if they got scratched up? Do you care about your rates going up if you did have to use insurance for something the bars would have prevented?

I might be biased though as I actually do like the look of them... That and they literally saved my leg from getting crushed after a Prius turned left in front of me.
 
I don't know which type mine are as they came with the bike and are chrome. Just after buying the bike I managed to drop it on the left side in my garage when I didn't fully engage the sidestand. Total damage to the bike was a small scratch on the crash bars and a little nick in the countershaft cover from my boot. I had contemplated taking them off before this happened but now they are staying. I cannot imagine the amount of damage that would have been done to the engine cases without them.
 
Thread starter
It's just a gamble I am willing to take I suppose. I understand the consequences and it's just not worth adding more heavy, ugly steel bars to the bike.

In my mind, if I were to follow that logic I could also add a whole lot more steel bars to the bike and protect it from most crashes.
 
Thread starter
I've finished my take at replicating the Bad Seeds side covers. I made a template from images I could find of the BS side covers and modified the positioning slightly. Drilled 1 1/4" holes and used 5/32 inch hole 20 gauge perforated 304 stainless screen as a grate. I used plastidip as a paint to try to match the airbox covers as much as possible. It's not a perfect match but it's closer than flat black paint would have been.

2cd87e35bfc249e8af1f931ec2bc288c.jpg

5202d65f1a21dbb5edff06346d0784b2.jpg

cac0868dd8e3940e74f5793dc462d83d.jpg


Also installed the Dart flyscreen. Much better than the Puig in looks and barely different in wind protection.
c235f46b4029d9eed7e8bf69553a1edf.jpg


Next up the WH small front fender.
 
Great job on replicating the BS side covers
 
Hi camoto - very tasteful modification to your side covers - I've been pondering for 4 years how to modify them with holes or slots - this guy did it with paint.
John
 
Thread starter
WK57ABF_imp said:
Hi camoto - very tasteful modification to your side covers - I've been pondering for 4 years how to modify them with holes or slots - this guy did it with paint.
John
That's very slick! I love the colors you chose! I considered paint too but couldn't decide on colors so I tried to go with the next best match-- the plastic on the airbox covers. I'm pondering a color change on the tank but I do kind of like the red. I was thinking about a two-tone metallic graphite on the tank but I want to get through the powdercoating of the wheels first and see how that looks.
 
Thread starter
A couple of updates: WM Short front Fender from Mr. T and the Gears Racing Shocks (other thread). Still waiting for snow or road salters to ruin the roads before calling it a season and pulling the wheels off for powdercoating.

 
Thread starter
Did some additional things today. I haven't been thrilled about the way the back of the bike looks. I would love to do a complete fender chop but would lose too much functionality. I decided to go with the Chic Designs rear fender from Mr T and lose the rear luggage rack. I'm keeping the saddlebags but have always found the attachment system to be awkward at best. I ended up using the stock turn signal holes in the hand grabs for some custom brackets made of 304 stainless rod. Bend them up and threaded one end. These pics are just the mock-up as I'm tearing a lot of it back down to get the hand grabs powder coated this winter along with the wheels.

Starting:


After Initial Bends:


Threaded:


Cut to size:


Installed:




These allow me to not use the plethora of ugly straps that this bag system requires. They are held in place by this and the sleeve on the back that the bar feeds into and the large velcro strap across the top only. It eliminates the clip and nylon webbing in the front and across the back.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Well done.:thumbsup:
+1

I very much appreciate quality custom work, especially when a lot of thought goes into keeping it simple and clean.
 
Thread starter
Winter is officially here with temps dipping below freezing on a regular basis. So it's time to get started on some of the bigger projects I have been planning for the CB.

Removed the wheels for powdercoating:


Stripped them down, pulled off everything and yanked the bearings. Off to the powdercoater this weekend for both wheels and the hand grabs. Gloss black to match the frame.


Next up is fork springs and fork oil service. Also planned: 19T front sprocket, new chain, winter service (oil, filter, brake/clutch fluid and plugs) and a few other smaller items.
 
Back
Top