A DOZEN NEW 2014 STANDARDS

I have gotten a quote from the Jacksonville dealer. It is $5,980 plus $599.50 Honda fee and $299 dealer fee. So it is $6,878.50 plus tax, tag and title. I have gotten a little better price from price from a dealer in Deland, FL. There is also a dealer in Ocala, FL and St. Pete, FL that have a similar price. I have not gotten a quote from the Ocala and St. Pete dealers so I do not know about the Honda and dealer fees.

A great price for that bike. But the blacked out look is not the look that I am attracted to.

And with that many out there at great prices, it makes me wonder about the resale value.

Kind of hoping this will be a long-term bike for me. If I ride it for 10 years, I will have gotten my money's worth in use so even if it has not residual value, it will still have been a good buy.
 
You can forget about resale value about just about any bike. You are never going to get close to what you put into it. That especially holds true for the CB1100. As much as we love this bike we are in the minority.
 
true true...we just had a guy go through a whole process trying to sell his CB and ended up deciding to keep it because the offers he was getting were so low. the used bike market right now is a buyers market for sure, and the CB11 is most valuable as a long term bike, because it's one of those that, if it's got all its standard maintenance, 6 digit mileage is par.
 
I wonder if any more are available from Honda. There is a Honda dealer about 10 miles from me that would be more convenient than Deland or Jacksonville. I wonder if I contacted them and asked if they could get one for me at this price. Seems like it might be attractive to them to get one that is pre-sold. I would assume Honda offered the bikes to all dealers. I guess the local dealer decided they did not want to try to sell them. Or maybe they got some and sold them already.

Anyway, I think I will call them and see what the deal is.
 
That sounded reasonable to me, too. I asked my local dealer for a quote on a 2014 and got a quote $3500 higher than the dealer 150 miles away who was advertising a price of $6300 for a 2014. They aren't all able to get that discounted price. So I'm driving 150 miles on Tuesday to get my new 2014.
 
Maybe. 5 years ago I was looking to buy a Yamaha FZ6R and saw some incredible deals at dealers 100-150 miles away. But I like to buy local and so I went to a rural mom/pop Yamaha dealer that didn't even have an employee. I said something like "...I saw this great deal up north but I'd rather buy from you even if you can't match their prices...". Boy did he blow a gasket! He practically shouted about how all dealers pay the same price and of course he could give me that same deal. Which is why I went to my local Honda dealer thinking the same applied for the CB1100. Apparently not! My earlier post said he was $3500 higher; he was only $2500 higher.
 
Interesting. I guess every manufacturer has their own arrangement with their dealers. I could see why they would want to treat dealers who move more product better. On the other hand, it is a bit of a chicken and egg thing. How can you move more product if you don't have the same arrangement.

Maybe they all get the same pricing, but maybe not access to the same product / inventory.
 
I would think that just like any other business the dealer that moves the most product gets access to better pricing and deals that other dealers don't have access to.

Just because that one dealer said that to you doesn't make it true. Maybe that is the reason he nearly blew a gasket, because it's hard for him to compete.
 
Well, if a dealer commits the working capital to inventory a bike and place it in his showroom, he's certainly more motivated to sell it than a dealer who simply takes your money and orders one from the warehouse. I'd argue that's the reason for the price discrepancy.
 
I think some of the dealers who quote a really low sale price add more in fees that they don't tell you about until you are ready to buy. Some of them even charge over $100 to fill out the paperwork on a sale!

I think when dealers advertise a price it should be required to include everything except TTL.
Oh, and another thing about dealers advertising prices that don't include any fees that they add. It hurts resale values of used bikes of the same type.

People see a new CB1100 advertised at $5999 at a dealer and don't realize that there will be $1000 or more added in addition to sales tax and license fees.

Serious and informed buyers like Sorg67 are aware of that, but many guys aren't.

I'll get off the soapbox now...
 
CBRider_imp said:
I think some of the dealers who quote a really low sale price add more in fees that they don't tell you about until you are ready to buy. Some of them even charge over $100 to fill out the paperwork on a sale!

I think when dealers advertise a price it should be required to include everything except TTL.
Oh, and another thing about dealers advertising prices that don't include any fees that they add. It hurts resale values of used bikes of the same type.

People see a new CB1100 advertised at $5999 at a dealer and don't realize that there will be $1000 or more added in addition to sales tax and license fees.

Serious and informed buyers like Sorg67 are aware of that, but many guys aren't.

I'll get off the soapbox now...
I agree, however I do not know if dealer fees are subject to sales tax. I suppose that varies from state to state. But if dealer fees are not subject to sales tax then you save some sales tax if you pay $6K plus $1K dealer fees versus $7K plus zero dealer fee.

Regardless, it seems there should be a disclosure requirement as CBRider says. And it may hurt resale value. I wonder how Nada and Kelly Blue Book consider such things when the list their pricing.
 
Dealer fees in Colorado are taxable but if he wants to sell the bike badly enough, the dealer will waive the fees. Everything is negotiable.
 
Down Under dealers are required to give a “ride away no more to pay” price. You always know what it’s going to cost.
 
Sorg67_imp said:
CBRider_imp said:
I think some of the dealers who quote a really low sale price add more in fees that they don't tell you about until you are ready to buy. Some of them even charge over $100 to fill out the paperwork on a sale!

I think when dealers advertise a price it should be required to include everything except TTL.
Oh, and another thing about dealers advertising prices that don't include any fees that they add. It hurts resale values of used bikes of the same type.

People see a new CB1100 advertised at $5999 at a dealer and don't realize that there will be $1000 or more added in addition to sales tax and license fees.

Serious and informed buyers like Sorg67 are aware of that, but many guys aren't.

I'll get off the soapbox now...
I agree, however I do not know if dealer fees are subject to sales tax. I suppose that varies from state to state. But if dealer fees are not subject to sales tax then you save some sales tax if you pay $6K plus $1K dealer fees versus $7K plus zero dealer fee.

Regardless, it seems there should be a disclosure requirement as CBRider says. And it may hurt resale value. I wonder how Nada and Kelly Blue Book consider such things when the list their pricing.
There may be other issues with sales tax. I live in Florida but bought my bike in NC a couple years ago. Price was "$7500 out the door", with tax to be paid when registered in Florida. So I guess that price included all dealer fees / setup / delivery fees and I was prepared to pay tax on that.

BUT NC dealer wrote up paperwork as "$9500 minus $2000 Honda bonus cash" or some such words.

Local motor vehicle office (Tampa) interpreted that as "you paid $9500 and got $2000 rebate. Therefore you owe sales tax on $9500!"

Took more than an hour, talking with supervisors, phone calls back and forth with NC dealer, before I was a able to convince them I had NEVER given dealer $9500 NOR had I received $2000 cash back. Only after I suggested to dealer's finance person that she call the "bonus cash" a "dealer incentive" did the local bureau relent...
 
CBRider_imp said:
I think some of the dealers who quote a really low sale price add more in fees that they don't tell you about until you are ready to buy. Some of them even charge over $100 to fill out the paperwork on a sale!

I think when dealers advertise a price it should be required to include everything except TTL.
Oh, and another thing about dealers advertising prices that don't include any fees that they add. It hurts resale values of used bikes of the same type.

People see a new CB1100 advertised at $5999 at a dealer and don't realize that there will be $1000 or more added in addition to sales tax and license fees.

Serious and informed buyers like Sorg67 are aware of that, but many guys aren't.

I'll get off the soapbox now...
I got what I wanted and watched it come out of the crate.
It was less than MSRP, but not one of the bargains reported on this forum.

Dealer adders are a major item in some states.

In Nevada, at the only dealer where they even knew a CB1100 existed:

"freight" $697.63, ~2X of what Honda publishes
"set-up" $688
"processing" (paper work) $499.99
state sales tax $550.31)
"license" (then I paid fees to DMV) $29.25
totaling $2,015.18

Maybe this will make some feel better about their deal.

Do I feel "ripped off"? Well, the CB is vehicle #50 and most have been good deals...just not likely to win them all. I was absolutely thrilled to learn that new 14 models were still available.

I got what I want, a motorcycle is absolutely NOT an investment and the dealer (handles both Honda and Yamaha) lost $1,000 on my trade in (2018 Yamaha XT250).

If it were stolen tomorrow, and even if insurance did not pay out, it has been worth every penny.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
CBRider_imp said:
I think some of the dealers who quote a really low sale price add more in fees that they don't tell you about until you are ready to buy. Some of them even charge over $100 to fill out the paperwork on a sale!

I think when dealers advertise a price it should be required to include everything except TTL.
Oh, and another thing about dealers advertising prices that don't include any fees that they add. It hurts resale values of used bikes of the same type.

People see a new CB1100 advertised at $5999 at a dealer and don't realize that there will be $1000 or more added in addition to sales tax and license fees.

Serious and informed buyers like Sorg67 are aware of that, but many guys aren't.

I'll get off the soapbox now...
I got what I wanted and watched it come out of the crate.
It was less than MSRP, but not one of the bargains reported on this forum.

Dealer adders are a major item in some states.

In Nevada, at the only dealer where they even knew a CB1100 existed:

"freight" $697.63, ~2X of what Honda publishes
"set-up" $688
"processing" (paper work) $499.99
state sales tax $550.31)
"license" (then I paid fees to DMV) $29.25
totaling $2,015.18

Maybe this will make some feel better about their deal.

Do I feel "ripped off"? Well, the CB is vehicle #50 and most have been good deals...just not likely to win them all. I was absolutely thrilled to learn that new 14 models were still available.

I got what I want, a motorcycle is absolutely NOT an investment and the dealer (handles both Honda and Yamaha) lost $1,000 on my trade in (2018 Yamaha XT250).

If it were stolen tomorrow, and even if insurance did not pay out, it has been worth every penny.
We are just finishing a kitchen remodel. Over doing it for our neighborhood. Won't get our money out of it. But we will get our value out if it enjoying it for the next 10 years.

But the process of analyzing the deal is part of figuring out what I really want.

I think I like the red ones best. But I so a really cool looking 2014 standard black that was done in a nice 80's vibe that I like. I could see myself saving the $4,700 and spending some of that on farkling just like I want it.
 
It really depends on the dealer. My dealer was asking $8900. This was last October. I told him I had seen them for $6999 on the internet. Two days later he emailed me and agreed to $6999. I paid less than $7500 for the bike and 2 helmets. That was title, sales tax, and the helmets at cost. I also got a test drive before I closed the deal. I like this dealership, even though I had never been in the door before October last year. Make them earn your business!
 
Back
Top