KiowaEagle_imp
Road warrior
It's standard practice around here to have a 10 mph buffer before getting pulled over. I'm not sure about camera systems though. Thankfully they are still far and few between in this area.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I'm hesitant to test the cameras to see what the margin of error is!LongRanger_imp said:I can't imagine anyone would agree $195 for 1-2 mph over is reasonable. Don't the cameras allow for an acceptable margin of error?
Surely, if they are being used by or on behalf of some level of government, there must be some statute governing their use.The ferret_imp said:That's the thing LR..who knows how they are set up and regulated ?
In Brampton, where I live, a traffic camera should be real at every major intersection!!GoldOxide_imp said:I know in our region a selection of traffic violation cameras are fakes, that is, some are populated with equipment, others are empty - but ready to be populated.
In any case, it keeps drivers guessing, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
peterbaron_imp said:In Brampton, where I live, a traffic camera should be real at every major intersection!!GoldOxide_imp said:I know in our region a selection of traffic violation cameras are fakes, that is, some are populated with equipment, others are empty - but ready to be populated.
In any case, it keeps drivers guessing, "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
There has got to be some sort of "ethics protocol" wrapped around the 3rd party service - you'd think, by the state?The ferret_imp said:Cormanus the cameras are run by private 3rd party companies.
How do they determine who was driving? Or is it just assigned to the owner because they are ultimately responsible for who drives their car?Cormanus_imp said:I know things are different between countries, but I would have thought that, even if the cameras are operated by private providers, that could only happen under the authority of some sort of law. Such a law wold give the provider the authority to collect fines. It should also set out how and when the devices had to be calibrated. Again, I've no idea how things operate in the US or Canada, but, in Australia, if you're caught on a speed camera, you can accept the ticket, pay the fine and cop the points; or challenge it in court. A possible defence would be that the camera was improperly calibrated. A significant difference in Australia is that fixed and mobile speed and red-light cameras are owned and operated by police under authority of legislation passed by state governments. Fines and points apply. I have no reason to believe that the cameras aren't regularly and properly calibrated.
Any tolerance about how fast you have to be going before penalties apply is a matter for the police and they keep very quiet about it. I recall, though that, a few years ago, police announced that, since the accuracy of modern cameras had improved considerably, they were reducing the tolerance. Australian law enforcement is very unforgiving of speeding.
Kiowa Eagle, I can't remember what they are, but we have provisions that deal wth the question of who wears the points in the event that the car has multiple owners or was being driven by someone other than the registered owner. They get you.