A December ride

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Took a 108 mile ride out in the country today, out thru Brown and Adams counties to the east of my home county of Clermont. Things sure look different when the leaves are down and the crops are in. Rode east through the curves out along the hills and then dropped south down to the river Terminus Of Zane's Trace in Aberdeen Ohio, and then back west along the banks of the Ohio

188e73c62b872679fdf5efc119300518.jpg


Zane's Trace - Wikipedia

6bb93f90e1373b4d06ebfaf908adb803.jpg


I sat there for a few minutes, sipped some hot tea from my thermos which felt good to ward off the winter cold, and enjoyed the Simon Kenton Memorial suspension bridge built in 1931 that runs from Aberdeen, Ohio to Maysville, Kentucky. They recently built a new bridge about 3 miles west of this one, but the old bridge is still in use.

66dc8ee6fe7f3e63beeefbe4569f5d99.jpg



Simon Kenton Memorial Bridge - Wikipedia

The river is still used for barge traffic hauling all kinds of things. Always been a major trade artery for hundreds of years.

37f412ed470cd2b77d23ee1648cb564b.jpg


There are many little towns along the river.. Most were viable at one time, but are basically ghost towns today. Go thru this one, Higgensport too fast, and you don't have to worry about getting pulled over, they just mail you a ticket

3a841bab07ae4a286ee53f18c2de391a.jpg


about 25 miles west and you find this little sign as you enter my little town of New Richmond

c06b6adf34267a1596a1eb5b30d47ac2.jpg


100 yards further (and after a speed reduction of 5 mph), you see this

b583b0fd9484ae2136ce9df5f5f9c742.jpg


Gotcha. $ Cha Ching $

Of course according to the Mayor they are only trying to prevent accidents and save lives. Along this road we get a lot of traffic from Kentucky and West Virginia

Great ride. Had the roads virtually to myself all day.
 
Wow, impressive so soon after surgery (I had the same one) you never mentioned the stent removal so I guess it went well....my stent removal was EXTREMELY painful!
 
Thread starter
LOL had stent removed Monday evening. You're right, it wasn't fun, but after 8 or 9 days of pain it was lost in the fog.Monday night was kinda rough, lots of residual pain, but woke up Tuesday feeling ok, just a weird feeling "down there". He said I could resume normal activities. For me that means riding. So Tuesday I told my wife I was going to try and ride 40 miles. Rode 51. First pee after the ride was um..not pretty. Kind of worried me, but they said it could happen. The rest of Tuesday night was ok. Pretty day today so decided on a longer run. Still feels weird " down there" lol.
 
Glad to see you're back to riding! But oh how I dislike those cameras. Maybe if the revenue from the camaras were tied directly to public works projects I'd feel better.
 
Thread starter
I hear ya. Nothing we can see, improvement wise, around here with the revenue do far. They must be saving it for a big project to help the community.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Took a 108 mile ride out in the country today, out thru Brown and Adams counties to the east of my home county of Clermont. Things sure look different when the leaves are down and the crops are in. Rode east through the curves out along the hills and then dropped south down to the river Terminus Of Zane's Trace in Aberdeen Ohio, and then back west along the banks of the Ohio

188e73c62b872679fdf5efc119300518.jpg


Zane's Trace - Wikipedia

6bb93f90e1373b4d06ebfaf908adb803.jpg


I sat there for a few minutes, sipped some hot tea from my thermos which felt good to ward off the winter cold, and enjoyed the Simon Kenton Memorial suspension bridge built in 1931 that runs from Aberdeen, Ohio to Maysville, Kentucky. They recently built a new bridge about 3 miles west of this one, but the old bridge is still in use.

66dc8ee6fe7f3e63beeefbe4569f5d99.jpg



Simon Kenton Memorial Bridge - Wikipedia

The river is still used for barge traffic hauling all kinds of things. Always been a major trade artery for hundreds of years.

37f412ed470cd2b77d23ee1648cb564b.jpg


There are many little towns along the river.. Most were viable at one time, but are basically ghost towns today. Go thru this one, Higgensport too fast, and you don't have to worry about getting pulled over, they just mail you a ticket

3a841bab07ae4a286ee53f18c2de391a.jpg


about 25 miles west and you find this little sign as you enter my little town of New Richmond

c06b6adf34267a1596a1eb5b30d47ac2.jpg


100 yards further (and after a speed reduction of 5 mph), you see this

b583b0fd9484ae2136ce9df5f5f9c742.jpg


Gotcha. $ Cha Ching $

Of course according to the Mayor they are only trying to prevent accidents and save lives. Along this road we get a lot of traffic from Kentucky and West Virginia

Great ride. Had the roads virtually to myself all day.
That's the way to do it Ferret. Glad you are in the spirit again.

RE cameras: Yeah, they are making a comeback. I guess after a couple of decades the technology is far more advanced to "keep people honest". :-/
 
Thread starter
We had one community that used them and then lost a class action suit for $3 million it has to pay back. These comunities keep trying though.
 
Glad you got out. I did, too. not 108 miles, though. more like 10.8 miles. LOL

You live in a great riding area, Ferret. You get a much longer riding season, the beauty of seasonal color changes, and plenty of beautiful roads.
 
Not sure about you MTC in Chicago, but the roads around the Toronto greater area are wet 'n' salty, salty, salty. Ferret's snaps indeed look blissful. Here, the rural regional trees are still all covered in clear, clean ice (as of this morning) from many days ago.
 
It was 32f and sunny this morning for my moto-commute today. I'm hoping to ride again tomorrow. Don't care too much about salt, but cold and wet could turn to colder and icy pretty quick. I don't head out in those conditions, but if the roads are dry at the same time that I am able to ride, I will ride.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Glad you got out. I did, too. not 108 miles, though. more like 10.8 miles. LOL

You live in a great riding area, Ferret. You get a much longer riding season, the beauty of seasonal color changes, and plenty of beautiful roads.
Hey at least you got out MTC.

I realize this little no name part of the midwest is a pretty good placd to live. We dont have the best of anything, weather, roads, etc. But what we have is pretty good. The weather generally in fairly reasonable for a motorcyclist. I can usually ride up to Jan 1st and then its iffy for 60 days. Then its pretty smooth sailing for the next 300 days. The roads arent NC quality, but they are entertaining, and we are just a couple 3 hours away from really great roads. No oceans like Cali, no real mountains like Colo, but I can live with it. On the other hand, we also have very little traffic, a reasonable cost of living, and a pretty low crime, all in all not a bad deal. 100 miles further north and all bets are off lol.
 
I know I'm in the minority, but I don't mind the speed cameras.

Ferret, very glad you're feeling well enough to ride and even happier that you're actually doing it. You're blessed with some great roads. There's still time to make your 2019 goal, weather permitting. But around here? Not so much.
 
The ferret_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
Glad you got out. I did, too. not 108 miles, though. more like 10.8 miles. LOL

You live in a great riding area, Ferret. You get a much longer riding season, the beauty of seasonal color changes, and plenty of beautiful roads.
Hey at least you got out MTC.

I realize this little no name part of the midwest is a pretty good placd to live. We dont have the best of anything, weather, roads, etc. But what we have is pretty good. The weather generally in fairly reasonable for a motorcyclist. I can usually ride up to Jan 1st and then its iffy for 60 days. Then its pretty smooth sailing for the next 300 days. The roads arent NC quality, but they are entertaining, and we are just a couple 3 hours away from really great roads. No oceans like Cali, no real mountains like Colo, but I can live with it. On the other hand, we also have very little traffic, a reasonable cost of living, and a pretty low crime, all in all not a bad deal. 100 miles further north and all bets are off lol.
I once crossed the railroad tracks in downtown Cleveland and within less than a minute somebody got off their porch stairs and started running after and screaming at us. We crossed back to the other side of the tracks.

- - -

Other than that, Cleveland is alright. Great Rock 'n' Roll museum, and fun ML baseball crowd at the stadium. The city takes their sports pretty passionately. Traditionally a strong basketball team.
 
Good report, Ferret. Glad you got out for a bit.

I'm with you, LongRanger. One has a choice about speeding. Here, like parts of the UK, we are moving to average speed cameras which take your photo at one point and then another some kilometres along the road and decide whether you could not possibly have complied with the speed limit to travel the distance in the time.
 
Thread starter
The speed cameras really don't affect me much since I am not much of a speeder and I believe in slowing down for small communities anyway, but seeing as how they are operated by third party vendors who have a monetary interest in people getting cited and fined, you don't know how legit they are set up (as far as I know there is no standard of testing for them) and there is no one to argue with if you feel you were doing 34 in a 35 and got a $98 ticket for doing 37 in a 35 by the camera.

One local community lost a big lawsuit over it

https://www.journal-news.com/news/m...wsuit-closes-decision/t6FEaXujPiA1OO2ThnJWRM/

As far as I know the gov signed a law saying they were not legal as of July 2019, yet they keep popping up

https://fox8.com/2019/07/04/law-erasing-cities-traffic-camera-profits-takes-effect-in-ohio/
 
The ferret_imp said:
The speed cameras really don't affect me much since I am not much of a speeder and I believe in slowing down for small communities anyway, but seeing as how they are operated by third party vendors who have a monetary interest in people getting cited and fined, you don't know how legit they are set up (as far as I know there is no standard of testing for them) and there is no one to argue with if you feel you were doing 34 in a 35 and got a $98 ticket for doing 37 in a 35 by the camera.

One local community lost a big lawsuit over it

https://www.journal-news.com/news/m...wsuit-closes-decision/t6FEaXujPiA1OO2ThnJWRM/

As far as I know the gov signed a law saying they were not legal as of July 2019, yet they keep popping up

https://fox8.com/2019/07/04/law-erasing-cities-traffic-camera-profits-takes-effect-in-ohio/
Nor do they affect me for the same reason...until I do speed just at the wrong time a mile or two over what their real limit is set at and then I get a $195 fine for non-perfect driving / riding...never mind it was a beautiful sunny day, not another car within site, no pedestrians around. I know, those aren't real excuses, and the camera is impartial, and I know one in my area should probably be there because people speed by peoples' homes with impunity--or at least they did until cameras were installed. Believe me, I'm not a speed demon! My KLR650 speedo reads about 5mph faster than what it should and that has saved me a few times I'm sure. But I do wonder if eventually there won't be cameras at every light, every stop sign, every half block...prolly not...probably not.

How about this? Use that high speed fine money to provide lottery amounts for those drivers/riders who never get tickets? Or for every other ticket given, that amount is used to pay for DMV or registration fees for randomly selected individuals with no tickets...then we have $ incentives to be better drivers...after all, isn't that what the cameras are installed for--to make us better drivers, reduce risk for all? Or are the cameras there to make a company money? No rant, just morning musings.

Hey you kids! Get off my grass!!:biker:
 
Common friction points for sure.

Hopefully at the end there is a human to ultimately vet any events that are truly offences, where applicable.

Example: Posted limit = 40. Event measured = 70. Should be little ambiguity.

The ferret_imp said:
The speed cameras really don't affect me much since I am not much of a speeder and I believe in slowing down for small communities anyway, but seeing as how they are operated by third party vendors who have a monetary interest in people getting cited and fined, you don't know how legit they are set up (as far as I know there is no standard of testing for them) and there is no one to argue with if you feel you were doing 34 in a 35 and got a $98 ticket for doing 37 in a 35 by the camera.

One local community lost a big lawsuit over it

https://www.journal-news.com/news/m...wsuit-closes-decision/t6FEaXujPiA1OO2ThnJWRM/

As far as I know the gov signed a law saying they were not legal as of July 2019, yet they keep popping up

https://fox8.com/2019/07/04/law-erasing-cities-traffic-camera-profits-takes-effect-in-ohio/
 
I can't imagine anyone would agree $195 for 1-2 mph over is reasonable. Don't the cameras allow for an acceptable margin of error?
 
Back
Top