A change is gonna come....

hondahoarder_imp

Been there
Thread starter
It is with some regret and some excitement that I am letting you know I am getting rid of my 1100 and will be getting a brand new Moto Guzzi California 1400 in white next week.

Those that know me knows I L O V E Honda's and in my book the 1100 was the resultant of all those years of engineering excellence to come up with probably the smoothest bike ever made. I have had so much fun on it.

Also, I have been more active and involved in this forum of great people that any before and since. I have had the pleasure of meeting several of you in person, as well as both Guth and Ferret. Never have a met a greater group of people.

I demo'ed the Guzzi California 1400 and simply fell in love, and was ready to get back to a cruiser where I have spent most of my riding years. I will still have a garage full of naked Honda standards to have fun on!

So I will be still be sticking my head in and see what cool things and cool trips you folks are doing on your 1100's.

Thanks for all the tips shared, knowledge given and friendship!

Keep riding and stay safe.

I'll post some actual pics up of the new addition once I get it in hand !!



[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bikes/110912-2013-moto-guzzi-california-1400-4_zpsdx00finr.jpg.html]
 
Well they named it right. Just looking at it says California to me. Congrats on your new bike and please post some pics!
 
Enzo sucked you in didn't he?

Hey Hoarder, the Guzzi bug seems to have hit you rather hard. best of luck going forward. Don't have to be a stranger here you know. Anyways it was a pleasure meeting you when I had the chance. Maybe I'll see that new thing at the Root Beer stand some evening.
 
Good luck with the new bike, hoarder. Don't be a stranger. Please?
 
A buddy has one in black, and I've been very tempted to get one. I have yet to test ride - more on purpose as I really really don't want to ride it then HAVE to get one. :)

I really like the white one.

But I think I'll wait a couple years.
 
All I can say is wow...that is a beautiful Guzzi. Is there a dealer in Louisville, or did you go to Indy or Cincy?
 
I rode several of them during Bike Week Demo Rides earlier this year and I can certainly understand your excitement. Congratulations on the new Guzzi. Live long and prosper ;)
 
hondahoarder_imp said:
It is with some regret and some excitement that I am letting you know I am getting rid of my 1100 and will be getting a brand new Moto Guzzi California 1400 in white next week.

Those that know me knows I L O V E Honda's and in my book the 1100 was the resultant of all those years of engineering excellence to come up with probably the smoothest bike ever made. I have had so much fun on it.

Also, I have been more active and involved in this forum of great people that any before and since. I have had the pleasure of meeting several of you in person, as well as both Guth and Ferret. Never have a met a greater group of people.

I demo'ed the Guzzi California 1400 and simply fell in love, and was ready to get back to a cruiser where I have spent most of my riding years. I will still have a garage full of naked Honda standards to have fun on!

So I will be still be sticking my head in and see what cool things and cool trips you folks are doing on your 1100's.

Thanks for all the tips shared, knowledge given and friendship!

Keep riding and stay safe.

I'll post some actual pics up of the new addition once I get it in hand !!



[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bikes/110912-2013-moto-guzzi-california-1400-4_zpsdx00finr.jpg.html]

This is how it is supposed to be with motorcycles. They are machines that are made to move our souls just as much as our persons. Sounds like a great fit to me, and I can totally see you on that bike my friend!

hondahoarder_imp said:
You darn well better, we're going to hold you to that.

hondahoarder_imp said:
It is with some regret and some excitement that I am letting you know I am getting rid of my 1100 and will be getting a brand new Moto Guzzi California 1400 in white next week.

Those that know me knows I L O V E Honda's and in my book the 1100 was the resultant of all those years of engineering excellence to come up with probably the smoothest bike ever made. I have had so much fun on it.

Also, I have been more active and involved in this forum of great people that any before and since. I have had the pleasure of meeting several of you in person, as well as both Guth and Ferret. Never have a met a greater group of people.

I demo'ed the Guzzi California 1400 and simply fell in love, and was ready to get back to a cruiser where I have spent most of my riding years. I will still have a garage full of naked Honda standards to have fun on!

So I will be still be sticking my head in and see what cool things and cool trips you folks are doing on your 1100's.

Thanks for all the tips shared, knowledge given and friendship!

Keep riding and stay safe.

I'll post some actual pics up of the new addition once I get it in hand !!

[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bikes/Current%20Hoard/2013-Moto-Guzzi-California-1400-Touring_20_zpsws7t2ege.jpg.html]

[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bikes/110912-2013-moto-guzzi-california-1400-4_zpsdx00finr.jpg.html]
See my comment above, lol.

Very happy for you Curt, you and that Guzzi are going to look really good cruising around together.
 
I'm also a big fan of the California but the one that really caught my eye is the California Custom. My CB is here to stay but I understand your decision to go with the big cruiser. It truly is a beautiful bike. It's going to take up quite a bit of space in the living room though! Enjoy!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the kind words, made to many friends here to ever leave.

Stichill, yes Cadre Cycles and a well established cycle shop and a brand new GUzzi dealer in Blue Ash, Oh (northern Cincinnati). Great folks to deal with. I'm in LaGrange KY, what part of KY are you in?

Guth thanks buddy hope to make it back out to Portland, again someday this time we'll do dinner on me!!

Pictures to follow.
 
With mixed feelings I await your pics and ride reports. It will not help me avoid getting one...... :D
 
Everytime I go to my Triumph/Ducati/Moto Guzzi dealer, I stare at it, and sit on it. It is truly a beautiful bike. Congratulations. We all need at some point to own and ride a pure Italian bike.
 
I like the V-engine layout...but Moto Guzzi...I know they've been around since 1921. They're not familiar to ME. Italian cars are; Fiats were sold in this country when I was a kid. Let's just say I'd proceed with caution...there is more to ownership than thrilling operation and good looks.

But my point is: Honda HAD its own Moto Guzzi, the CX. And they let it go. It was, if not that exciting, about as reliable as dawn; a big vee-twin and shaft drive...yes, and water cooling, which adds complexity but also eases operation in traffic and in heat.

Why they didn't continue with that, build on it...just astounds me. CXs still pop up as kids' first bikes...I've never heard anyone talk negatively about them. I had a GL500, with the same V-engine and shaft, briefly; couldn't get parts to do needed brake service and didn't have a shop to fix it or store it, so it had to go. But a GREAT ride.
 
I had a Moto Guzzi Jackal. The stripped down, no extras, retro look (hmmmm, the retro theme again!).
I bought it new in October of '99.
I sold it in 2012 with about 75k miles on it.
I took it to the mountains and to track days. Wore the ends of both foot pegs down to a 45 degree angle. Took it to bike night and the drag strip - 13.28 @ 101.5 mph. Not bad for a "cruiser". I led many a sport bike ride on it. I put on a Power Commander, K&N and LaFranconi exhausts.
It was one of the most fun bikes I ever had with never a lick of trouble. I or Lee did all our own work, 'cause their wasn't a dealer around. Never had a problem getting parts, but only needed routine maintenence ones,
I adjusted my own valves, which took about 5 minutes per side :)
Guzzi's are tons of fun, have their own mystique and lots of character. Their have been nothing but good reports on the 1400. I rode the first one brought to the U.S. the black and white one all the magazines tested and since then, demo'do several at this year's Bike Week. Torque Monsters! I predict you're going to love it. Keep us posted on your adventures ;)
 
Wow Lafranconi... A name a haven't heard in 30 years. Back in the day the Italian equivalent to Termigoni for Ducati's today... Or Vance and Hines or Kerker for Japanese bikes.
 
Back
Top