A bonus day, went old- school

Capo

Road warrior
Thread starter
So I was able to grab a hooky day from work, and it correlated with one of the finest days of weather in the last decade here on the Jersey Shore. 70 degrees, crystal clear, light breeze...perfect. I've neglected the old bikes a bit this summer, so I rolled out the '68 Norton P11, went over her, tickled the carbs, and bang, one kick start.

She rattled, vibrated, smoked and barked in the glorious colors on the backroads, but never missed a beat, and we ended up at the beach an hour later. Hissing, pinging and marking her spot, I swear she enjoyed the view of the ocean, the gleaming warm sun, and the conversations with passers by as much as I did.

Yeah, I know, character and soul are anthropomorphic devices we attach to inanimate objects. But I swear the old Ranger was smiling when I cleaned her, put her 'bedpan' under the primary to collect her droppings, and tucked her away, likely for the winter, at the end of a glorious ride.

fd6f5b6deb36bebcf4b6cfd760493dfe.jpg
 
Thread starter
alphonsus_imp said:
What a stunning bike!! Beautiful.

It's a '68? How long have you owned it?
I've had it for around 6 years. It was restored by previous owners, and has around 1700 miles on the odo post- restoration. It's in great shape, but is a rider. Bike was originally sold in the US, (they basically all were, it was not a UK- model Norton), went to Canada, then to UK, back to Canada and now back in the US. I have paperwork going back to the mid- 80's.
 
Cool Norton. Glad you got the old girl out for a run :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
This is old school riding at its best.
I love vintage bikes and ride my BSA 441cc Victor Roadster and Triumph 500cc Tiger all the time.
That shot of warm air is expected up this way by the weekend and temps are expected to be in the 18C (65F) range.
Temps like that at this time of year up here are very rare and all my bikes have already been put away for the winter. I know some of my buddies will be out on the road this weekend without me, boo hoo :D
 
I am so envious I have literally turned a pale shade of green.
What an absolutely beautiful bike, and a poetically written piece of reporting.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I feel like a steward of the Norton, and it's '70 Bonnie stablemate, more than an owner. Except when they break down. Then I'm an owner.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Thanks for putting that post up. I haven't seen a Norton on the road in many years. Very nice. So beautiful.

Chip
I see a Norton or two quite regularly. pArked next to one in the spring down in town. And pass one on occassion but he's always going the other way. Someday we may be going the same way and I will get to talk to the owner. i used to sell Nortons back in the early 70s. great sounding motorcycles and absolutely beautiful to look at.
 
My wife just told me one of our Hamilton Co judges was injured Monday night when a lady pulled out in front of him on his newly restored 73 Norton Commando. Wonder if that's the guy I've been seeing?
 
Great report, Capo.
 
Back
Top