A $1,500 Helmet...Now THAT is "Shameless"

I don't know. Here in Switzerland an Arai RX7 is already USD 1'300.

But then again, I don't really have a need for any of those gadgets in my helmet, especially the phone and music crap. I prefer to ensure that my money is spent on the comfort and security of my helmet.
 
Wow... Aren't rear view cameras for backing up? Maybe it will be a hot ticket for Goldwing riders.
 
Call me a luddite but I don't need or want any of that crap when I ride. I carry a cellphone and a GPS in my tank bag in case I need them. So far, I never have had a need for these items. Years ago, it was a quarter for a pay phone and a good map. That worked pretty well. That money would get you the best conventional helmet with enough left over for some hard bags.

I'm sure there will be many in line to get it though.
 
I do not even have a GPS, just good maps and common sense will get me were I have/want to go.
Sometimes I print the final destination with Google maps but that is all.
Hardly ever use my cell phone when on my bike.
 
redbirds_imp said:
Call me a luddite but I don't need or want any of that crap when I ride. I carry a cellphone and a GPS in my tank bag in case I need them. So far, I never have had a need for these items. Years ago, it was a quarter for a pay phone and a good map. That worked pretty well. That money would get you the best conventional helmet with enough left over for some hard bags.

I'm sure there will be many in line to get it though.
A lot of people call me a luddite and I've been in the technology biz since the 70s. :D

This helmet provides a lot of impressive looking technological solutions for problems that aren't really problems. Is a rear view camera display (that moves your focus inside the helmet) really an improvement over simple mirrors?

HUDs (heads up displays) originated in fighter jets to keep the pilot from having to look down to monitor flight and weapons information during combat maneuvers. When was the last time you found yourself spending an inordinate amount of time staring at your bike's gauges?

I worked on some Air Force helmet mounted HUD projects in the 80s. We spent quite a bit of time and effort trying to reduce the amount of distracting info that was being fed to the pilot. This helmet seems to go in the opposite direction.
 
I don't think it's such a bad idea although I don't think I'd buy one.
Not my gauges, but I have found myself looking at my GPS or phone for what I thought was too much time. And several friends have put rear facing cameras on the back of their bikes to check their six while slowing or stopped at traffic lights for instance. It puts the view on a 4 inch monitor on their handlebars or their windscreen. Nothing different than if you were glancing at a wide view mirror.
 
Thread starter
I've resisted music, cell phones, intercom, and various "infotainments" on my bike because I like the solitude. Plus riding is highly conducive to my second hobby; writing hideously obscene lyrics for hit songs from the 70's and 80's. I'd be dead in the water on that if it weren't for the hours alone in my helmet.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
I've resisted music, cell phones, intercom, and various "infotainments" on my bike because I like the solitude. Plus riding is highly conducive to my second hobby; writing hideously obscene lyrics for hit songs from the 70's and 80's. I'd be dead in the water on that if it weren't for the hours alone in my helmet.
+1
 
I use mirrors to look back, but blind spot view would be nice.
I guess if a new K&H seat cost $600 and Staintune muffler $850, why can't a helmet be $1500?
 
I turn my head to check the blind spot. It's a natural survival reflex that I do in the car as well.

Regarding a GPS, I have one in the car when I need to get to a very specific address that I am not familiar with. Would never want one on the bike though as I find them incredibly distracting. If I am touring, I keep a map on my tank, and usually write down some key names that I need to remember, a bit like a simplified road-book. I will look at my map and memorize the area I am heading to, and then occasionally stop to check where I am at.

No, this helmet is really not for me. Besides, just one more electronic gadget that will malfunction and will require endless hardware updates etc.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I use mirrors to look back, but blind spot view would be nice.
I guess if a new K&H seat cost $600 and Staintune muffler $850, why can't a helmet be $1500?
Exactly. Plus, a Shoei helmet can run $600 and a Bluetooth communication system another $300. Not a huge leap to get to $1500 adding HUD and a rearview cam.

Still...I'd rather buy an HJC helmet and a good set of earbuds and spend the remaining $1000 on gin, vermouth, and olives.
 
$ 1000 would buy a LOT of tea bags ... Just sayin ;)
 
I certainly won't argue with those that say it's not for them but I do see it as being useful for those that can truly handle it. Like anything else, there's got to be learning curve and then it'll become second nature to some. It just might be for a 30-something and not us 60- somethings!

I avoided getting a GPS for all of the past 15 years. I kept a smartphone in my tank bag and that was it. Take it out when I want to check if I'm still on course, or to see if someone tried to call me in the past hour and a half since I stopped for gas last, etc.

But I just bought a TomTom and a bluetooth headset for my helmet. I like to take some weekend touring trips on my other motorcycle, and I figure- What if I'm on an unmarked unfamiliar road out of state and I'm really on the wrong road or highway that I intended to be on? And I travelled for an hour until I realized my error? I only like to travel during daylight, and now I'd have to waste two hours getting back on course?! I figure with the GPS, even if I make a wrong turn it'll recalculate to still get me to my destination even if I don't use the bluetooth feature and I only glance at the GPS from time to time. Plus, it's good to have to avoid traffic jams. I was stuck in one spot nowhere near an exit on an interstate in western Virginia once for FOUR hours because of a serious crash miles ahead of me that they had to medevac the victims out.
 
With all these electronic waves and radiations and electronic gizmos, I'd be afraid my head would explode like an egg in a microwave...
Skully is pretty though...
 
I'm so oldschool my cell phone dosn't even have a clock or calculator app. but it has this really sweet sundial and abacus app. speaking of abacus's, I've done the math and I just couldn't justify $1500 for a helmet.
 
chip_imp said:
I'm so oldschool my cell phone dosn't even have a clock or calculator app. but it has this really sweet sundial and abacus app. speaking of abacus's, I've done the math and I just couldn't justify $1500 for a helmet.
App? What's that? :D My cell phone just makes and receives phone calls. It also does some crude texting using the number keypad. It doesn't even have a camera.

I have a computer for all the other stuff.
 
I'm so old school my cell phone has a rotary dial.
 
Back
Top