8000 miles, did your valves REALLY need adjusting?

DaSwami_imp

Been there
Thread starter
CBers,

Just like the title says, bike is running great. I know the manual calls for an inspection/adjustment at 8K but I have real doubts the shim over bucket valves have truly deviated from spec.

However if you tell me otherwise I'm all ears.

Thanks for the input.

Scott
 
Had to look... My owners manual says 8K, 16K, etc..

As for shim over bucket inspection goes; Those of us that have owned several (too many, some say) motorcycles with shim over bucket valves these systems are bullet proof and rarely need a shim change. My ST1100 went 78K, VFR800 48K, VFR750 53K without ever pulling a cam to adjust a shim and they were all always in spec. My ST1300 got her first valve clearance inspection at 22k (16K is recommenced) and every valve was within spec. So, don't waste your time and money on valve inspections, you'll be fine for a very long time.
 
Thread starter
OK guys, I am full of crap. Wrong bike, wrong manual. It's the new SR400 I bought within a week of the CB1100, with its screw and locknut type adjusters! :blush: So the title of the thread will change! :D

8K in the manual, gotta love it!
 
Our CBs are shim UNDER bucket and the cams must come out to adjust but not to just check. Just posting for those confused by the above ;)
 
DaSwami_imp said:
OK guys, I am full of crap. Wrong bike, wrong manual. It's the new SR400 I bought within a week of the CB1100, with its screw and locknut type adjusters! :blush: So the title of the thread will change! :D

8K in the manual, gotta love it!
8000 miles is a lot better , but it is at least twice as often as a liquid-cooled bike, the only real drawback to the CB1100 for me. (My V-Strom 650 had it's valves checked at 25k rather than the specified 15k, and they were fine, as I've heard).

But if you have an SR400 with the screw-type adjusters, I recommend that you check them - they do go out way more often than shims. On the other hand, they are very easy to check and adjust, an easy Saturday morning job if you are doing it the first time, double/triple checking, looking at Youtube videos. Half an hour the next time.
 
I had mine checked again at 36,000 kms and they were fine.
 
I had my valves checked for the first time on the ST at 54,000 miles and all were in spec. I haven't done the CB yet, about to turn over 14,000 miles. Also haven't changed the brake pads, air cleaner or spark plugs.
 
Thread starter
So it sounds like 8000 miles is just precautionary. I would assume a good indicator of valves out of spec is strange noises from the top end or if the bikes power and/or mileage start to suffer? Poor idle?

Ferret, sounds good, but I will be changing my air filter well before 14K. We are dusty here in MT
 
DaSwami> So it sounds like 8000 miles is just precautionary.

The check of the valves is part of the (every) 8,000 miles service. Most likely there is no need for adjustment. While check is cheap, adjustment would be expensive, as the camshafts had to be dismounted.

DaSwami> I would assume a good indicator of valves out of spec is strange noises from the top end or if the bikes power and/or mileage start to suffer?

Nope. Wearung out lets the valve clearance get smaller until there is no clearance at all. This would lead to less valve noise instead of more, if becoming noticeable at all. That's why you check it.

When there is no clearance at all, the valve would not close enough and would start to burn pipes.
 
You can't compare the valve adjustment interval for a water-cooled engine with an air-cooled engine. I don't plan on checking my valves for the first time until 12,000 miles.
 
At 12000kms mine were adjusted by the dealer. I was charged for the labour and shims. After the service I was unhappy with another aspect of the work that was done and, being preoccupied with that, it didn't occur to me to ask for details of the valve adjustment so I can give no further detail. The cost of the service was enough to make me haul my tool box out of storage, build a work bench in my new home, and the bike hasn't been back to the dealer since. Incidentally my unhappiness with the service (I won't go into detail) was ameliorated by the dealer giving me a substantial discount on a set of winter gloves. It didn't get me back though.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
At 12000kms mine were adjusted by the dealer. I was charged for the labour and shims. After the service I was unhappy with another aspect of the work that was done and, being preoccupied with that, it didn't occur to me to ask for details of the valve adjustment so I can give no further detail. The cost of the service was enough to make me haul my tool box out of storage, build a work bench in my new home, and the bike hasn't been back to the dealer since. Incidentally my unhappiness with the service (I won't go into detail) was ameliorated by the dealer giving me a substantial discount on a set of winter gloves. It didn't get me back though.

Cheers
Sorry to hear of your experience. Yes that is the challenge isn't it? The dealer is supposed to be the "expert" and professional, so you do the right thing and take it to the dealer to get the 'best" attention. Unfortunately it can turn to custard so easily just from human error (genuine mistake) and just plain old complete lack of care and attention. Working in the automotive industry myself I see it every day. VERY frustrating! One you've lost a customer it's very hard to get them back.
 
Skipping the valve clearance check? Penny wise pound foolish? What if *your* bike is one of the few needing adjustment? Are you willing to risk engine damage to save a relatively small amount of money or wrench work? If I owned an 1100 (I don't, I own a 750NH) I would perform the check as per the Honda owner's manual specification. Also, if I were buying a used 1100 I would ask to see the complete maintenance records.
 
Checking the clearances is not beyond the skills of the average owner. At 8K I will buy the required replacement parts, pull the tank and do the check. If everything is in spec I am out only a small bit of cash and some quality time with the bike. By doing this yourself you will also know that it was done right and you can record the clearances for each valve as a reference at the next inspection. If the clearances remain stable at future inspections you will have the peace of mind to know that your Honda is in good health.
 
Back
Top