8000 mi service

jodyz_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Is anyone getting close to the 8000 mi checkup? Flipping through the owner's manual when I first got the bike, I recall seeing this bike needs valve inspection/adjustment every 8k miles and was stunned. Is the valve train made by Ducati??? I doubt any adjustments will be required, but the service will still cost a significant amount of $$.

I'm only at 2400+ miles since getting the bike in early May. Bike has been in the shop for about 20 days of ownership. I think I'm on track to easily do 8k every 4-5 months (until wx turns very cold when I'll puss' out and drive my cage).
 
jodyz_imp said:
Is anyone getting close to the 8000 mi checkup? Flipping through the owner's manual when I first got the bike, I recall seeing this bike needs valve inspection/adjustment every 8k miles and was stunned. Is the valve train made by Ducati??? I doubt any adjustments will be required, but the service will still cost a significant amount of $$.

I'm only at 2400+ miles since getting the bike in early May. Bike has been in the shop for about 20 days of ownership. I think I'm on track to easily do 8k every 4-5 months (until wx turns very cold when I'll puss' out and drive my cage).
Gerbings Heated Clothing and ride all year long.
 
I'm more than half way there. I think I need to get my hand on a manual because I'm cheap. :)
 
Guth_imp said:
I plan on doing at least the inspection on my own. We'll see how things go if actual adjustment is required.
Do not sell your Hawk GT. One of the finest handling bikes I have ever owned. That and the FZR400.
 
_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
I plan on doing at least the inspection on my own. We'll see how things go if actual adjustment is required.
Do not sell your Hawk GT. One of the finest handling bikes I have ever owned. That and the FZR400.
The Hawk GT won't be going anywhere. I actually first brought it home six years ago yesterday.
 
If you skip the 8K valve clearance check you could potentially void your warranty as far as the engine goes...something to think about.
 
Do you hear clicking if the valves go out of spec? I thought the valves seat deeper into their ports and then there is LESS clearance at the cam causing the potential for the valve to hang out in the exhaust gasses and burn.

Just what I heard - I'm no engineer.
 
I do not see how this could possibly be true unless the clicking sound is the sound of the valves not being able to hold back the combustion anymore in which case it is telling you that you waited too long...
 
I'd seriously reconsider the advice that they gave you. It doesn't seem like a judgement call to me as it makes no engineering sense. When the clearances tighten up (become less) with wear, if anything, they are going to make *less* noise, not more..

(edit: putting off the adjustment is a judgement call, but relying on ticking sounds to indicate that adjustment is needed is not a judgement call, it's wrong..)

Also, all engines are different with different characteristics. My CBR250 (and now I hear, also the CB500s) spec'd valve adjustments at 600 miles :-b. When I checked mine at around 600, 3 of the 4 were under specification. Happily, the next valve check on those is not until 16,000 miles.. so I'm set on that for a while :-)
 
Wow...Honda says valve checks at the 600 mile service for these new 500s??? What ever happened to hydraulic lifters? Aren't they auto-adjusting through the life of the motor?
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Wow...Honda says valve checks at the 600 mile service for these new 500s??? What ever happened to hydraulic lifters? Aren't they auto-adjusting through the life of the motor?

I've been reading notes from pissed off new 500 owners when they find out *after* buying the bike...

I miss the hydraulic lifters on my long gone 750 Nighthawk and 1100 Shadow for sure...
 
The first valve check for the CB500 is at 600 miles, but the second one isn't needed until 16,000 miles, and after that they should be checked every 8000 miles. So Honda is just moving the first scheduled valve check up earlier, overall it still comes out to a valve check every 8000 miles.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Wow...Honda says valve checks at the 600 mile service for these new 500s??? What ever happened to hydraulic lifters? Aren't they auto-adjusting through the life of the motor?
if you call the life of the adjusters the same thing as the life of the motor, yes.

some pushrod, lower rpm motors have hydraulic lifters. The ohc were hydraulic tappet adjusters, which are different and the engines could spin higher but don't seem to be possible with cam-bucket-shim type valves.
Yoyodyne_imp said:
The first valve check for the CB500 is at 600 miles, but the second one isn't needed until 16,000 miles, and after that they should be checked every 8000 miles. So Honda is just moving the first scheduled valve check up earlier, overall it still comes out to a valve check every 8000 miles.
for some reason that makes perfect sense to me and explains everything.
 
Apparently the CB500's power plant is the first multi-cylinder engine that Honda has built outside of Japan (it's made in Thailand), so that may be why they're being extra conservative on the initial service requirement.
 
Yoyodyne_imp said:
Apparently the CB500's power plant is the first multi-cylinder engine that Honda has built outside of Japan (it's made in Thailand), so that may be why they're being extra conservative on the initial service requirement.
Curious, I had a look at some pictures of the 500's valve gear. It's similar to the CBR250's in that it's not a 'cam over bucket' arrangement. There are more pieces involved. The cam doesn't bear down on the valve, instead it pushes on a follower and the follower spreads out to 2 fingers to open 2 valves of a cylinder. Perhaps this 'extra' parts count along with the limits of manufacturing tolerances means that some 'early' wear in can occur and needs to be checked. Significant wearing sure happened on my 250, whereas I read of one case in which someone checked theirs at 600 miles and found that all of them were in spec (lucky devil..).
While I could manage to get the head cover off and measure my valves, it was clear that I was not equipped to carry out the surgery required to change the shims (it's *really* tight in there, the frame gets in the way of everything)... paid the $200 for the dealer to set the valves (not a 600 mile service, *just* the valves)..
 
Back
Top