8 k mile check

gcarper_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My CB had her 8k service today, all is well, 4 exhaust valves were "loose" and had shims added. Shop mechanic and I thought it was odd that the clearances were loose and not tight. Maybe it came that way from the factory in anticipation of the valves seating. Plugs were good so that means the bike's computer is compensating for the new exhaust pipe. Labor is a little more than I thought it would be.
$420 and money for shims, etc, brought the bill to $453. Oh well, peace of mind is worth that.
 
Good to hear. I thought the nature of these valves were to tighten as well. Strange.
 
Since this bike has been around for awhile in UK and Australia has anyone checked out their forums to see how the valves do in the long run?
 
They do not have any real active forums.

I might add all of the Japanese manufacturers prefer this valve layout and have since the early 80s because even when revved to the moon, the valves tend to stay in spec. My fear when taking my bike in for a valve check is the mechanics may have actually preformed this inspection very few times and could mess up something while stumbling through.
 
I kinda half-arsed looked through the shop manual and it appears special tool required for this job................................
 
Only for shim replacement
 
CIP,

To ADJUST the valves, the cams have to be removed and you have to have the shims. Its all in the service manual.
 
cbfan_imp said:
I kinda half-arsed looked through the shop manual and it appears special tool required for this job................................
I don't have my manual yet, but as far as I know, the only special tool is the cam chain tensioner, and, if you don't want to pay the $60 for the part from Honda, I believe you can press a common screwdriver into service. Other than that, all you need is a micrometer and good set of feeler gauges (preferably metric). And the shop manual.

I sound like I know what I'm talking about, but I haven't done this work yet; my CBR is ready for it and I bought all the tools and crap I need to do it on that bike.
 
I used to do valve adjustments on my 900 Ninja, but the cams did not need to come out.....back then, I was younger, poorer and more determined....so for the CB1100 I may pay the shop, but may wait until 10K before I do.
 
Good chance I'll be retired by the time my bikes needs that so I'll have to do it myself instead of paying someone. Funny how life does that. :)
 
I am no where near that kind of service. But would like to do it myself when it comes around,
and of course have available all necessary tools, manual, full beer fridge, and of course the mandatory brown paper bag to swear in.
 
Funny, I'm a retired aircraft tech and after over 40 years of turning wrenches I just don't have it in me anymore to get into heavy maintenance. I like to do little mods to make the bike mine and normal maintenance but the hard stuff that you have to think about...............
 
The 8K valve inspection is why I knew going into this that the CB1100 wasn't going to be a long-haul trip bike for me. The other shim under bucket bikes that I had, had much longer valve inspection intervals and that was more livable while racking up mileage figures.. The Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100 was just past it's 12,000 mile valve inspection time. I told the buyer about that and gave him a cheaper price because of it (he loves serious home wrenching so it was not an issue for him !).
 
furious_blue_imp said:
The 8K valve inspection is why I knew going into this that the CB1100 wasn't going to be a long-haul trip bike for me. The other shim under bucket bikes that I had, had much longer valve inspection intervals and that was more livable while racking up mileage figures.. The Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100 was just past it's 12,000 mile valve inspection time. I told the buyer about that and gave him a cheaper price because of it (he loves serious home wrenching so it was not an issue for him !).
I understand where you are coming from. The valve inspection interval on my 125 hp, 14,000 rpm FZ-1 was every 26,000 miles. Why the huge difference? Oh well, it is what it is.

At my current rate of racking up miles it looks like a set of tires and a valve inspection after every riding season.
 
The ferret_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
The 8K valve inspection is why I knew going into this that the CB1100 wasn't going to be a long-haul trip bike for me. The other shim under bucket bikes that I had, had much longer valve inspection intervals and that was more livable while racking up mileage figures.. The Speed Triple that I sold to get the CB1100 was just past it's 12,000 mile valve inspection time. I told the buyer about that and gave him a cheaper price because of it (he loves serious home wrenching so it was not an issue for him !).
I understand where you are coming from. The valve inspection interval on my 125 hp, 14,000 rpm FZ-1 was every 26,000 miles. Why the huge difference? Oh well, it is what it is.

At my current rate of racking up miles it looks like a set of tires and a valve inspection after every riding season.
That's a loooong interval. Had me wondering... I verified (as much as you can on the internet). that the FZ-1 has the 'genesis' 5 valve heads. If that's true, then I could imagine that with 5 valves they are individually lighter than if there were 4. So maybe lighter means less stress and less wear and tear (but more labor to perform when it comes time to check them)..
 
HikerToo_imp said:
I used to do valve adjustments on my 900 Ninja, but the cams did not need to come out.....back then, I was younger, poorer and more determined....so for the CB1100 I may pay the shop, but may wait until 10K before I do.
You only need to remove the cams on the CB if you need to change out any of the shims. You don't need to remove them to simply do the inspection.
 
Good to know AzBob, , then I can take the time to inspect for my peace of mind, and make decision to go further if I find any out of tolerance.
Thanks!
 
Back
Top