7.48mm shims?

NickLHG_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys gettin close to doin a valve adjustment (at least that’s my guess) hearing some noises near the valves. Figured may as well giver a look.

My drz currently runs 7.48mm shims does anyone know off the top of their head what the cb1100 dlx uses? And can someone explain what the different shims are, such as between 7.48, 7.5, 9s etc. not thickness but the diameter perhaps?

Thanks guys!
 
NickLHG_imp said:
Hey guys gettin close to doin a valve adjustment (at least that’s my guess) hearing some noises near the valves. Figured may as well giver a look.

My drz currently runs 7.48mm shims does anyone know off the top of their head what the cb1100 dlx uses? And can someone explain what the different shims are, such as between 7.48, 7.5, 9s etc. not thickness but the diameter perhaps?

Thanks guys!
Honda uses 7.48mm diameter shims on all their shim-under-bucket bikes since the '90s. Most Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki use them too. I think they are sometimes just called 7.50 because they are rounding off.

Some of the Japanese 4-valve ATVs use 9.48.
 
Yup, 7.48mm, most run from 1.8 to 2.2mm thickness in 0 .05 or 0.025 steps ( half size which honda uses ) depending on the supplier, check the spreadsheet in the "mechanical and technical" part of the forum if you haven't already done so, gives you an idea and add your sizes and miles to it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys! Now what’s your suggestion on purchasing them? I have to do a valve job on my Suzuki DRZ pretty soon here and possibly the CB. Do you guys personally purchase the shims you need after you disassemble the head or make it easy on yourself and buy a 75.00 starter kit that you won’t use 2/3 of?
 
I would suggest buying the shim kit. OEM shims are $8 a piece. The convenience of having them on hand is worth it, especially if you miscalculate and get a wrong thickness shim. That could tie you up for a day or even a couple days.

Since the shims fit so many bikes, the kit will always have value. At least until all bikes are electric.
 
Thread starter
Since the shims fit so many bikes, the kit will always have value. At least until all bikes are electric.
[/QUOTE]

Oh god.. can’t wait to be 65 on a 2060 Electric GL4500!
Alrighty then I’ll go for the kit - appreciate the help!
 
NickLHG_imp said:
Since the shims fit so many bikes, the kit will always have value. At least until all bikes are electric.

Oh god.. can’t wait to be 65 on a 2060 Electric GL4500!
Alrighty then I’ll go for the kit - appreciate the help!
[/QUOTE]
Oh god.. can’t wait to be 65 on a 2060 Electric GL4500!
Alrighty then I’ll go for the kit - appreciate the help!
[/QUOTE]

By 2060, they'll have the tele-porter technology down. If you want the motorcycle experience, it'll be via virtual reality. On the History Channel.
 
I would measure the clearances before buying any shims, you may find you only need one or two. If you have to wait to order them you can easily slip the valve cover back on.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I would measure the clearances before buying any shims, you may find you only need one or two. If you have to wait to order them you can easily slip the valve cover back on.


I agree. I bought the Hotcams kit hoping to have everything ready to go and knock out the job fast- just like I did years ago on my ATV....

Once I got into the bike and measured though- I then found out that Honda offers sizes that are closer to each other than the Hotcams kit has.

I ended up having to order shims from Honda anyway- so wasted time and money needlessly.

My vote is- tear it down, measure, swap around what you can- then just order what you need.
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
I would measure the clearances before buying any shims, you may find you only need one or two. If you have to wait to order them you can easily slip the valve cover back on.


I agree. I bought the Hotcams kit hoping to have everything ready to go and knock out the job fast- just like I did years ago on my ATV....

Once I got into the bike and measured though- I then found out that Honda offers sizes that are closer to each other than the Hotcams kit has.

I ended up having to order shims from Honda anyway- so wasted time and money needlessly.

My vote is- tear it down, measure, swap around what you can- then just order what you need.


I agree. I bought the Hotcams kit hoping to have everything ready to go and knock out the job fast- just like I did years ago on my ATV....

Once I got into the bike and measured though- I then found out that Honda offers sizes that are closer to each other than the Hotcams kit has.

I ended up having to order shims from Honda anyway- so wasted time and money needlessly.

My vote is- tear it down, measure, swap around what you can- then just order what you need.
Totally get that. Currently waiting on the tool to arrive before valve inspection. Thanks for the solid info!
 
Back
Top