600 Mile Service

metallyguitarded_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm quickly approaching my 600-mile service interval. I bought a filter today but couldn't find the oil I wanted. I ordered some from Chaparral and it should get here in time for next weekend. Looking forward to it!

Which oil and filter you ask? I'm not tellin'! Haha!

Oh, and I picked up a can of lemon scented Pledge. Uh oh, did I just spark a furniture/motorcycle polish debate?
 
inline4fan_imp said:
Not too long to go for mine.
Does doing the service yourself void the warranty?
Not in the U.S. The manufacturer cannot deny warranty as long as service was performed and date/mileage recorded with receipts saved. Not sure about other countries, seems to me in England they force them to take them to a dealer, but then they get a 2 year warranty whereas we only get one.

Here's a tute that may help


How To do your own 600 mile service
 
The ferret_imp said:
inline4fan_imp said:
Not too long to go for mine.
Does doing the service yourself void the warranty?
Not in the U.S. The manufacturer cannot deny warranty as long as service was performed and date/mileage recorded with receipts saved. Not sure about other countries, seems to me in England they force them to take them to a dealer, but then they get a 2 year warranty whereas we only get one.

Here's a tute that may help


How To do your own 600 mile service
Not in the U.S. The manufacturer cannot deny warranty as long as service was performed and date/mileage recorded with receipts saved. Not sure about other countries, seems to me in England they force them to take them to a dealer, but then they get a 2 year warranty whereas we only get one.

Here's a tute that may help


How To do your own 600 mile service

Wow! Awesome Tutorial.
Glad I still kept some of the tools from my Triumph days.
Thanks Ferret!
 
The Canadian owner's manual also says doing your own service does not void the warranty as long as it's done according to schedule and with the correct products.
 
Rocky..good to know. Out of curiosity how long is your warranty?
 
Completed my 600 mile initial service several weeks ago. With the tutorial on this site, it was easy. Learned about my CB and saved a least $100 in the process so glad I did it myself.
 
In Australia, where Honda offers a 2-year warranty, they try to tell you it must be taken to the dealer. In fact, provided Honda products are used and the service is performed by a qualified person, they cannot void the warranty.
 
Just did mine last Saturday! A tiny bit early, at 520 miles, but it was a rainy day, so what better to do than play in the garage...

50382eeb05c238dedee743c3391673d8.jpg
 
Thread starter
Today was the day! I did the 600 mile service. I was at 559 miles but I decided I should clean and lube the chain while I was at it and, of course, you can't lube a cold chain! Haha. So, exactly 41 miles later, the chain was nice and warm, as was the oil. I also replaced my stock grips with some Pro Grips. Too early to tell how much better they'll be than the stock grips.

Ever since bringing the CB home, I've neglected my VFR. After all the work was done on the CB, I took the VFR out for a spin to let her stretch her legs. The difference in ergonomics is drastic. But boy the VFR is so much faster! And the windscreen does a great job of a keeping the air moving over and around me. They are such different bikes with the CB definitely being the go to, every day rider and the VFR more of a gentleman's canyon carver.



[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1005.jpg.html]

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1008.jpg.html]

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1011.jpg.html]

[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1014.jpg.html]
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rocky..good to know. Out of curiosity how long is your warranty?
I just noticed that I didn't answer this question.
It's the "standard Honda Warranty" which is one year.
 
Rocky std warranty in North America is one year ..... standard warranty in the rest of the world is 2 years it seems.
 
metalmaven_imp said:
10W-30?
I was wondering what I needed to get. Is that what is recommended then? I have the same black CB.
10W-30 is the go in North America.
 
Gentlemen,

A lot of new vehicle buyers think that dealers look for ways to deny warranty work because they don't get paid for it. The exact opposite is true. Dealers get paid FULL RETAIL rates for both parts and labor by the manufacturer when they perform warranty work. At my GM, KIA, and Lotus dealerships the manufacturer was my best service customer. Only when an owner does something really stupid like running a vehicle out of oil will they refuse warranty work. Dealers never want to refuse warranty repairs because that's how they make a living. I had one customer buy a new Suburban and he drove it 16,000 miles without ever checking or changing the oil. The engine seized with one quart of sludge left in the crankcase. Cost to replace the engine was over $8000. Clearly GM could have (and probably should have) denied that warranty claim but GM paid the entire tab. Honda is very customer oriented. They will never deny a warranty claim without a very good reason.

Chip
 
Rocky_imp said:
The Canadian owner's manual also says doing your own service does not void the warranty as long as it's done according to schedule and with the correct products.
But: if challenged, how do you PROVE this? Without experience as a professional motorcycle mechanic, how can an owner prove he did the work, did it according to schedule and used correct tools, procedures and products?
 
I personally take pictures, keep receipts of oem parts from a dealer to prove that I used the right products, and own a shop manual. Do I have a diploma from Honda on the wall? No. Honda can't expect me to, and the Federal Law says I don't have to. If the bolts aren't rounded off and are torqued to the correct spec it must be assumed the correct tools were used.

You'd be surprised how many "professional motorcycle mechanics" (with a diploma on the wall) and shops are really lousy at what they do, do not use the correct tools, procedures and products.
 
Back
Top