600 mile day ride on the CB1100 to Arco Idaho

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I had this past Friday off from work and got on the Road at 7 AM and headed out for the Lost River Cemetery just north of Arco, Idaho. Plan was to visit the grave of a US Army Medic who earned the Medal of Honor in Korea almost 68 years ago to the day. No particular reason for it. Just paying my respects. First part of the ride would be about 240 miles with a little over half of that heading north on I-15. Since time was of the essence I didn't stop to take as many pictures as I normally would. This trip report is a composite of pictures taken by myself and from the public domain of the internet.

Quick stop at the 'border' of Idaho for a pic. Rain was on the horizon and I would be subjected to strong winds for prolonged periods throughout the day.

7c438d0f006fa9c3277f16cd18bf9cf1.jpg


At Blackfoot, Idaho I would turn north west and take a less traveled blacktop through sparsely populated high sage brush plains to Arco. This area of Idaho figured prominently in the US development of nuclear power.

More on that history here:

Idaho National Laboratory - Wikipedia

I bypassed Atomic City having seen it before. It's on the downhill slope of it's former glory days but for history buffs it may be of interest.

Link to the towns history:

Atomic City, Idaho - Wikipedia

Atomic Bar

0af7762ad5b8e1d0ebbde71f7f239347.jpg


Passing this area there was a stiff, straight on wind and light rain was coming down. Luckily there was no traffic to speak of.

I rolled into Arco around 11ish and passed through it pretty quickly after tanking up on the center stand. I had planned to stop in town after I visited the cemetery. A few miles north I found the left hand turn I was looking for and after a couple miles of pastoral countryside with a house or two I arrived at my destination.

bdb8d07f1b83d772c7131da174b20adf.jpg


bae5b8090b52c292ae124717bb045a00.jpg


More on that day and Mr. Bleak here. Bleak exemplified the citizen soldier. Came home and blended in, got a job, raised a family, and lived a humble live until he gave up the ghost. SSgt Bleaks medal citation is one of the more compelling ones you will ever read. That's saying a lot considering the company he's in.

David B. Bleak - Wikipedia

I walked around a little and read the histories of some of the families inscribed on the monuments with the sprinklers softly pinging in the background. Seeing all the WW2 vets interred here it became apparent this little burg had done it's part for our collective freedoms. I sipped some Jamison Black Barrel as a toast of respect to those vets out of a flask my wife bought for me at Blarney Castle and slowly walked back towards the CB to saddle up. The low overcast clouds, the light drizzle and the cooing of a few mourning doves all added a somewhat appropriate melancholy aura considering the reason for this trip.

I straddled the CB , started the motor up and rode back the way I came towards Arco. It was at this point that I realized the huge difference that dropping the adjustable pegs made in comfort. Normally at this distance I'd have some cramping on the outside of my thighs after getting back on but that didn't happen.

Arco is located close to a number of scenic areas and I imagine it does see it's fair share of tourist traffic during the summer months. The town has a few notable tourist features.

Numbers Hill is a tradition that started with the graduating High School Class of 1920 and has been carried on ever since.

1e9f651e6e307c0f9613277166db7919.jpg


Arco has long been associated with the US Navy. This is located right downtown. The actual conn of the "Devil Ship".

661bade9575a6548486881289525fa83.jpg


ab1d91dbcee39888a107a3fd191d2f1c.jpg


6473f39c8acc1c744282e440bc9fb263.jpg


5a19787b994c6812b6ea7916c82d4edb.jpg


I stopped at the local Honda dealer 'JUST IN CASE' they had a 2014 CB1100DLX in a crate sitting around. With the exception of a couple of very small dirt bikes there were no motorcycles on the limited showroom floor.

dd85280570d66e566ad0e2ab402e52ed.jpg


See part 2 for the remainder of the ride.
 
Looks like a great trip, Frulk. I grew up in Idaho. My Dad worked for INEL back when it was Aerojet. People don't believe me when I tell them about the submarine in the middle of the Idaho desert.

I live in Santaquin. Please let me know if you want company on your next ride. I'm happy to ride up to SLC and meet. I'm a teacher, so my summer schedule is pretty flexible. Or, if you come this way, there's the Alpine loop around Timpanogos and the Nebo loop close by.
 
Thread starter
Roper rode "I live in Santaquin. Please let me know if you want company on your next ride. I'm happy to ride up to SLC and meet. I'm a teacher, so my summer schedule is pretty flexible. Or, if you come this way, there's the Alpine loop around Timpanogos and the Nebo loop close by."

Furthest south I NORMALLY get is Spanish Fork to take the 6 and that's in a car/truck. Never rode any of my bikes down the I-15. Just too much traffic and too many distracted drivers. Been on the Nebo Scenic Loop in a car before. Need to ride it sometime in the fall midweek on the CB.
 
Great report as usual, Frulk. How about a still-crated ‘14DLX? There’s a find.
 
Enjoyable read!
 
Thanks for sharing your ride. Jealous of the great roads and sights you get to ride. Also jealous of that top box. What is that? Can you share more about it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
nymarty_imp said:
Thanks for sharing your ride. Jealous of the great roads and sights you get to ride. Also jealous of that top box. What is that? Can you share more about it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, Marty, it looks like a Happy Trails box. They're made in Boise, ID. If the box I have doesn't work out, that's my next choice. They're pretty decently priced for aluminum. You can also get them powder coated. Here's a link:

Top Boxes - Hard Luggage Systems - Happy Trails Products
 
Back
Top