500 mile ride and onward

Thread starter
Getting ready to head into Las Vegas.. it was about 42*. I was tired 9 hours in the saddle.. last night terrible accidents slowed traffic to a crawl. And people heading for NYE in Vegas.I am 90 miles from my friends. In LV .I will post pics. I found my gear to be good to about 45* so I got cold ... picking up some heated gear in Vegas. I had a longer post written out and this was all that showed up maybe the emoji cut it off . Rolls it was cold in the Tahatchpi pass! My dad was going to come on this ride but I'm glad that he didn't as my mom has taken Ill and in the hospital. More to follow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Temps in Vegas today are forecasted to be L39/H55. 9 hours in the saddle is a lot. Stay warm and be safe. Thx for the update.
 
dsan, look forward to more.

Hope your mother is OK.
 
Thread starter
Okay purchased heated jacket, gloves, freeze out long johns, and freeze out neck piece. It came with controller as a bonus and a pigtail to tap off my tender lead. Going to re route tender lead tomorrow. To left side instead of right. Hang out with my friend of 30 plus years who owns a Harley shop called Boulder Choppers in Henderson NV. Then leaving early Friday morning! With new gear!! Going to take pictures. The CB is inside surrounded by 25 Harley's a lot of positive talk from die hard HD guys directed to the Honda.. 400+ bucks at cycle gear well spent I think! Dave.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
If you are like me, you will wonder why it took years for you to buy heated gear. There is no reason to be cold. It's like being wrapped in an electric blanket.

Btw you want the least on under the heated gear ( long sleeve t shirt or base layer top) and the most on over the heated gear to trap the heat against you. Quilted jacket liner and jacket over top of heated liner for example.
 
Good luck with your expedition, dsan1964!

Share your sentiments on heated gear, ferret...it's the best! Good tips on usage as well. I'm the only guy in my riding circle with heated gear. Everyone else seems to think it's either too much fuss to deal with or maybe too expensive. I think what's expensive is a nice bike sitting unused in the garage most of the winter depreciating, collecting tax liability, and consuming insurance premiums yet not delivering any entertainment value.

How cold do you ride? I will go down to 33° F / 0.5° C on my way to work (30 minute ride) if there's a warmer payoff at lunch or on the ride home. For an actual rideout (couple of hours at least) I prefer temps to be above 40° F / 4° C...I can ride a long time at 45° F / 7° C.
 
Stichill, I have no lower limit. Already ridden at 19 this year. Rode at minus 1 two years ago. But that's on the ST. On the CB probably the coldest I have ridden is probably 30 ish? I would prefer temps over 40 on the CB and above 50 is like summertime lol
 
Hardy! My main limitation to going lower is that my overpants are mesh and I don't have a heated liner. I can put in the rain layer and wear a base layer and that does me pretty well in the conditions described in my post above. I'd like to try an insulated one-piece sometime. There's a guy who I see commuting around here on a scooter wearing a tan Carhartt insulated jumpsuit lol.

My main concern below 33° F is ice on the road...winter weather in our area tends to create a lot of water running across the road: seepage from hillsides, driveway runoff, snowmelt that can freeze into black ice. I figure if the sun is out and it's at least 33° F then black ice should be less of a concern...although I have been known to come to a complete stop and inspect wet patches before riding over them!

The funny thing about cold temps...as the air gets colder and drier, it loses some of its capacity to absorb your body heat. I'd rather be out at 10° F sunny and dry, than 38° F with 95% humidity.
 
Funny I could use some mesh overpants for summer when my solids get too hot. On my list fo this year.

Ice is always a concern and if I think there may be ice I don't ride. Overpasses over creeks worry me the most. I also live where there is plenty of hillside run off and I too have stopped to examine patches I suspect, but mostly I just roll over them without throttle, as vertical as I can.

so far so good.
 
Thread starter
Well sorry for a late reply follow up... my head has been in my Moms recovery.. she is out of the hospital! Back to the ride. Just under 1200 miles.. bike ran great. I ran into rain, fog, cold temperatures, winds , and all at the same time including riding at night.. not really any pictures as I was in a lot of gear. Before my ride back I purchased hot wired gloves, jacket, freeze out neck warmer, and freeze out pants. I was averaging 42 mpg.. never thought about economy as I averaged just under 70 mph. Getting gas about every 110. Miles. I am not going on a long run until I change rear shocks... on the ride back I was stuck in the seat because of heated gear being plugged in so no standing for the bumps. My lower back paid the price along with my butt. I did however learn to tighten up and hover over the seat a few inches! Today I serviced the chain tightened, cleaned, lubed.. just over 10k. On the clock. Check valves on list. Oh and California roads are in terrible shape for those of you wondering about the bumps i mentioned. Love my CB. Happy New Years!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great news about your mom & glad you're home safe and warm. More good riding coming. Unseasonably wet and cold this year.
 
Thread starter



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I had to peel the tank pad stickers off... my magnetic tank bag would not hold with them on... glad that they are off what a major pain in the butt.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Happy New Year and glad you had a safe trip.

There's a lot to be said for what I am calling "active sitting", where you tighten your abs, bring your knees into the tank, and support some wieght through your feet and pegs. Sort of like your "hovering" technique only you remain in the seat. It just relieves some pressure on the lower back--at least for me.

Bike looks better to me without stickers. PITA for me to remove them, too.
 
Happy new year dsan. Good to hear your mother is out of hospital.

And that you had a good ride. :D
 
Echo what others have said about the ride and your mom.

How about a review of the Hot Wired Stuff and Freeze out stuff
 
Back
Top