400 curves before breakfast

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
They are calling for rain..a lot of rain..up to 5 inches over the next 2 days starting about noon today so I knew I had to ride early today to get a ride in. Got up at the crack of dawn, got dressed, rolled the CB out and fired it up. When on limited time I like to ride "The Loop" a 36 mile loop of roads by my house made up of 186 curves with many elevation changes that runs the first ridge back from the Ohio River. I can add extensions by taking side roads that circle back to "The Loop" to make it longer and add more curves, and today I took a short extension that adds another 30 curves. The sun came up, the temperature was 60 degrees, just perfect. Using the torque of the CB to accelerate thru the curves, loving the stellar handling with the Michelin tires, the supple suspension, enjoying the comfortable ergos, and the strong and progressive brakes when needed, riding was pure bliss this morning. The absolute lack of traffic, and the color change of the trees in autumn, just added to the joy. I love this motorcycle... and it's darn good looking. Even dirty.

When I got to the point to take the little "tail" back home, I said to myself " man, that was too much fun, let's run it backwards". So I pulled a U turn and ripped it back the other direction. 80 miles, over 400 curves...all before breakfast. It just doesn't get much better than this on the last day of October.

some pics from this morning

c1b9262db300e2039b63d5164b2bd569.jpg


45f66fa4791a13c9b5adfb78b50d7600.jpg


84f0a4ff142521166fbb4c63b35ea704.jpg


e2be9ae2ec1e516327b72a28b82ea2e2.jpg


e1a7f65606eef7f5f37db0cc8a4394ce.jpg
 
Great pics and I envy the ride . Looks like " the loop " is a ton of fun .


40 miles and trying to stay alive on the way to work this morning LOL .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
 
Have you ever mapped any of these out for folks. There is lots of stuff online but I find a lot of it is just overwhelming. I would love a short a dirty "must ride" itinerary for a couple of days worth of riding to get started. I know there was a forum ride there a couple of years ago as well.

My dream is to get down there in the next year or so, but it is a big trip for me. I am in Atlantic Canada, 10 hours north and east from Boston.

Great photos. I am jealous. We have snow here now.
 
I'm jealous. we don't have roads in charleston. just runways. seriously, the last time i saw one of those curvy-road warning signs was in North Carolina. I wish road planners were a little more creative around here.
 
QimmiQ_imp said:
Have you ever mapped any of these out for folks. There is lots of stuff online but I find a lot of it is just overwhelming. I would love a short a dirty "must ride" itinerary for a couple of days worth of riding to get started. I know there was a forum ride there a couple of years ago as well.

My dream is to get down there in the next year or so, but it is a big trip for me. I am in Atlantic Canada, 10 hours north and east from Boston.

Great photos. I am jealous. We have snow here now.
No snow here yet, but getting cooler and cooler.
 
Nice ferret, I see your Ohio foliage colors are on the bland side like my area of New York State.
The rain is arriving here tomorrow, therefore it is mandatory that I go on a ride now!
 
I've ridden on at least some of those roads and was privileged to do so following The Ferret. Most of us who have seen him ride at rallies are impressed with his fluidity through the turns, but follow him on "his" roads and raise the level from "impressed" to "amazed".

Glad you got out before breakfast. I hope to get out tomorrow afternoon to get my November ride in as soon as possible.
 
Thread starter
QimmiQ_imp said:
Have you ever mapped any of these out for folks. There is lots of stuff online but I find a lot of it is just overwhelming. I would love a short a dirty "must ride" itinerary for a couple of days worth of riding to get started. I know there was a forum ride there a couple of years ago as well.

My dream is to get down there in the next year or so, but it is a big trip for me. I am in Atlantic Canada, 10 hours north and east from Boston.

Great photos. I am jealous. We have snow here now.
QiimiQ I have some great roads to ride here, but if someone were comingto Ohio to ride, I'd suggest south east Ohio near Marrietta for more great roads than one could ride in a week or two

suhawk305_imp said:
Nice ferret, I see your Ohio foliage colors are on the bland side like my area of New York State.
The rain is arriving here tomorrow, therefore it is mandatory that I go on a ride now!
Suhawk.. I think we are about 2 weeks frombest color. The reds are just beginning to show up.

LongRanger_imp said:
Awesome. I gotta make plans to come visit you!
LR you might be disappointed considering the roads you have to ride on, but you are always welcome. A couple days here, a day in N Kentucky and 3 or 4 days in se Ohio and maybe a day or two in West Virginia and you might be somewhat satisfied.

Thanks for the kind words Sea... I might not be real fast, but I am real smooth lol
 
Ferret, true, the roads here are fun BUT the riding season is short. You're still riding. We had 5" of snow on the ground this morning. You're still riding. Also, I've ridden these roads a million times. It gets boring. I'm ready for something new.
 
Ferret, if there's a man alive who loves his bike more or gets more out of a daily ride than you...I've yet to hear about him. Your attitude sets the standard...
 
Not near as scenic as your 400 turns, but North Shore Drive, along Lake Mead, from the east end of Lake Mead Boulevard, up to Logandale (Clark County Fairgrounds) is 57 miles of constant sweeping turns (nevert counted them). Only issue I encountered was a wild horse crossing the road. Picturesque stops at Redstone and Rogers Spring (hot water).

Google Maps

Google Maps
 
I'm so relieved to find a nice little ride report here* — looks like it was a great ride. Autumn is definitely my favorite time of the year. Experiences like yours are just one example amongst many why I enjoy it so much.

* At first I was afraid that you were setting us up for a joke and that "400 curves before breakfast" was the title of some trashy romance novel, lol. :D
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Ferret, if there's a man alive who loves his bike more or gets more out of a daily ride than you...I've yet to hear about him. Your attitude sets the standard...
Thanks I am indeed a simple but lucky man Stichill. Easily pleased.
 
Back
Top