322 miles in the low country.

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
so, SCCBrider and I took a moderately long trip to the upstate today to visit some of the only "fun" roads in all of South Carolina. We started early, and took a scenic highway route that wound north on the east side of Lake Marion. May all the gods bless a two lane road with nobody on it. We were mostly trying very hard to conserve our very limited GPS batteries as we went, since I knew my phone wouldn't last and SCCB had a very limited charge on his Garmin.


We arrived in Camden after a morning on the road, to find most of the historic sites, and consequently, most of the restaurants closed. They take Sunday Seriously in these parts. We did, however, come across a country buffet that is only open on Sundays and had ourselves a refuel before setting out to play on the most interesting roads winding around the lake. Great fun was had by all, I finally got some wear pattern on the sides of my new Michelins, and we rested up in the State Park at the end of the run.


The road back was decidedly less elegant. We selected an alternate route and got on the way, but we had to pick our way through the back highways based on old-time sense of direction, missing crucial turns more than once. The map shows it certainly wasn't the most efficient way to get home, but got us there.


Temperatures overall were great, and I got a jolly sunburn on me arms. This was my second time on the Wateree Run, and I will go again, but I've got my sights set on Asheville for the next big thing coming up.
 
wow that road by the lake looks like a good one!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
wow that road by the lake looks like a good one!
It is a lot of fun, though relatively short. it's around 28-29 miles of aggressive curves and deep elevation changes in a residential area. The curves are nice, but the ups-and downs are what really make it feel like a rollercoaster ride. I desperately want to post a helmet cam of the ride, even though my sporting skills are not at the same level as my commuting and traffic skills. Problem is, I don't have an action cam :-p. Some day Soon I'll get one, hopefully before I head up to the mountains.
 
Message me next time you do this. I work in this area often and know the spots well. Quick trip for me to meet you somewhere near wateree or fishing creek or cedar creek.
 
Thread starter
riggies_imp said:
Message me next time you do this. I work in this area often and know the spots well. Quick trip for me to meet you somewhere near wateree or fishing creek or cedar creek.
Awesome! So you've been on these roads too? The first time I came up there was absolutely nobody there, but this time it seemed like there were a few joyriders. One guy in a Corvette and three guys on sportbikes were seen in the area.
 
I have, but only in our work SUVs. But there are some great restaurants in that area. There’s a place called Wagon wheel in great falls off of 21 that has the best friend squash I’ve ever had.
 
looks like a great ride but you would loose me on that lake run .
not the road but i carry a ronco pocket fisherman ........
 
South Carolina has some of the finest motorcycle roads and historic sites, antebellum plantations, Civil and Revolutionary battlefields. Great road food also. Everything from mountains to low country splendor. Glad y'all got to enjoy some great riding.
 
use2b_imp said:
looks like a great ride but you would loose me on that lake run .
not the road but i carry a ronco pocket fisherman ........
Ronco pocket fisherman :rofl:

Was that guys name Ron Popiel or something? I remember those commercials from when I was a kid. They still make those?
 
Thread starter
riggies_imp said:
I have, but only in our work SUVs. But there are some great restaurants in that area. There’s a place called Wagon wheel in great falls off of 21 that has the best friend squash I’ve ever had.
we didn't make it up as far as great falls! It looked like there were still great roads to be had that way, butIt's w just not enough time for our return trip if we went that far.
use2b_imp said:
looks like a great ride but you would loose me on that lake run .
not the road but i carry a ronco pocket fisherman ........
You wouldn't be alone. we got the wave from several people on bridges who were just idly fishing.
redbirds_imp said:
South Carolina has some of the finest motorcycle roads and historic sites, antebellum plantations, Civil and Revolutionary battlefields. Great road food also. Everything from mountains to low country splendor. Glad y'all got to enjoy some great riding.
My experience in SC so far has been mostly confined to areas between Columbia and the coast, since I live on the coast. I don't doubt that it gets much better in the northwest upstate, but down here, there's a whole lot of flat and straight. However, flat and straight can be good too, in the right environs. I'm considering an ambitious coast hugger trip to make the barrier islands of either NC or Florida.
 
The ferret_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
looks like a great ride but you would loose me on that lake run .
not the road but i carry a ronco pocket fisherman ........
Ronco pocket fisherman :rofl:

Was that guys name Ron Popiel or something? I remember those commercials from when I was a kid. They still make those?
Ronco pocket fisherman :rofl:
Was that guys name Ron Popiel or something? I remember those commercials from when I was a kid. They still make those?
oh yes and i really do have 2 and take around on my bikes to try any kind of water ..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronco-Pock...047567?hash=item467f83b08f:g:YnoAAOSwK-ZbMDPL
 
I have a friend who carries a Pocket Fisherman in his golf bag. He once had a birdie and a bass on the same hole. LOL

I used to joke that if I became pope, I would be Pope Piel the First. They could make a movie about my life called "The Shoes of the Pocket Fisherman"
 
The reservoirs on the lower Catawba hold some massive stripers during the right times of the year. The Santee reservoirs hold good bass too. Good freshwater fishing in the area if you know where to go.
 
Looks like a great ride, you two. The lakeside road looks a whole lot of fun.


riggies_imp said:
I have, but only in our work SUVs. But there are some great restaurants in that area. There’s a place called Wagon wheel in great falls off of 21 that has the best friend squash I’ve ever had.
This sounds a very unfriendly game to me. I won't be going there! :P
 
I have to say that the weather was great, even though most of the roads we took were less than twisty (as I like), but they were the best that could be had in the low country. However, it was great to get out there and see some sights that I haven't seen before. Misterprofessionality did a great job trying to find the best roads to take. I WILL have a new power cord for our next trip to anywhere...I saw 340 miles on my trip meter by the time I got back to my house. I am surprised that my rear end didn't (completely) fall asleep on me. No Iron Butt riding for me, but I look forward to the next outing up there. I found out that Shaw AFB has a recreation area up on Lake Wateree and rents cabins...I am now planning a vacation up there. I also saw a lot of property for sale up there, might be a nice place to truly retire in a year, or so. Next outing needs to be to meet up with Nemo, and Redbirds in GA.
 
Back
Top