30K miles on a '13 CB1100

Haystack_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just an update...

I just rolled 30,000 miles on my '13 CB1100 this PM on a 275-mile day.

Fourth rear tire @ 27,500 mi. (three replacements)
Third front tire @ 27,500 mi. (two replacements)

48+ mpg (over 50 mpg at 65 mph, 46 or so at 80) I've used fuel ranging from 85 octane to 91 octane and I can tell no difference in performance, but 87 "seems" to yield the best mileage. I don't keep meticulous fuel consumption records, BTW. I just fill 'er up and ride.

Chain adjust indicator just now in the green, should go to 50,000 mi. (I'll let you know) I use teflon oil from a spray can.

GN4 10-30 oil every 4,000 miles post break-in w/ Fram 6017A oil filter ($5.88 at the W-Mart)

Original air filter (looks new).

Corbin seat @ 8,000 mi. TourMaster soft saddle bags always, trunk bag on trips. Closet, kitchen and garage in the saddle bags, bedroom and bathroom/medicine chest in the trunk.

Longest day >800 mi.

The bike really seemed to "settle in" or "break in" at about 25,000 miles. Always starts/runs...yawn.

Louder fuel pump whine just started today. Anybody know what that means?

Later
 
Wow, 30,000 miles. That's awesome. Congrats.

What about spark plugs and valves?
 
Hi Haystack, thanks for the info. Can you please provide us some data on the valve maintenance? Have you adjusted the valves? If you have, at what mileage and did you record the measurement pre-adjustment?

Thank you.
 
Rboe I just hit hit 3K on mine the last week!
 
Congrats and glad to hear how well the bike is holding up. I just turned 20k myself and thought I was really racking the miles, but...
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, 30,000 miles. That's awesome. Congrats.

What about spark plugs and valves?
I'll check the plugs and let you know-

The valves were checked at 15,000 mi. and were in spec, no adj. necessary (I was initially hesitant to add at the 20K report that the long-time Honda mechanic said that the valves did not need to be checked again).
Dave_imp said:
Hi Haystack, thanks for the info. Can you please provide us some data on the valve maintenance? Have you adjusted the valves? If you have, at what mileage and did you record the measurement pre-adjustment?

Thank you.
The valves were checked at the initial service at 15,000 mi. and were in spec., no adj. necessary. The mechanic said that they'd be good for the life of the bike and shouldn't need any further adjustment. (?)
 
Haystack_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, 30,000 miles. That's awesome. Congrats.

What about spark plugs and valves?
I'll check the plugs and let you know-

The valves were checked at 15,000 mi. and were in spec, no adj. necessary (I was initially hesitant to add at the 20K report that the long-time Honda mechanic said that the valves did not need to be checked again).
Dave_imp said:
Hi Haystack, thanks for the info. Can you please provide us some data on the valve maintenance? Have you adjusted the valves? If you have, at what mileage and did you record the measurement pre-adjustment?

Thank you.
The valves were checked at the initial service at 15,000 mi. and were in spec., no adj. necessary. The mechanic said that they'd be good for the life of the bike and shouldn't need any further adjustment. (?)
I'll check the plugs and let you know-

The valves were checked at 15,000 mi. and were in spec, no adj. necessary (I was initially hesitant to add at the 20K report that the long-time Honda mechanic said that the valves did not need to be checked again).
Dave_imp said:
Hi Haystack, thanks for the info. Can you please provide us some data on the valve maintenance? Have you adjusted the valves? If you have, at what mileage and did you record the measurement pre-adjustment?

Thank you.
The valves were checked at the initial service at 15,000 mi. and were in spec., no adj. necessary. The mechanic said that they'd be good for the life of the bike and shouldn't need any further adjustment. (?)
Yeah, I'm at 22K and at 16K my mechanic said no reason to check them again till 30K+. I wouldn't mind saving money there.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, 30,000 miles. That's awesome. Congrats.

What about spark plugs and valves?
I pulled the two outside plugs today (the easy ones) and they were identical. Clean with no deposits. I'd say that they look brand new but that would be a slight exaggeration. My gapper indicates slightly less than .035" so even though it's approaching the edge of the envelope, they're both within spec. (.031" - .035").

Unless I detect any deterioration in starting or performance, I'll pull 'em again @ 50,000 mi. By their looks, I'll extrapolate service life to exceed 100,000 mi. We'll see.

At 15,000 mi. I had a service check done and the valves were within spec. no adj. necessary. At the time, the mechanic said that they shouldn't need to checked again. I'll save the $165.00 service fee and buy fuel.

What a great bike!

Later.
 
Wow! Great work, Haystack. You'll go past Pterodactyl (50,000+ kms) before you know it.
 
Haystack_imp said:
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Wow! 30,000 miles on a drive chain and still in the green!? That's crazy!

There is a gentleman in our single-cylinder owners group (Four-Stroke singles national owners club (fssnoc)) that gets over 60,000 mi. on chain and sprockets on his KLR 650.

There is a gentleman in our single-cylinder owners group (Four-Stroke singles national owners club (fssnoc)) that gets over 60,000 mi. on chain and sprockets on his KLR 650.
He needs to have more fun and twist that throttle a little! :rofl:
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
Wow! 30,000 miles on a drive chain and still in the green!? That's crazy!
Mine is at 16k and still way in the green, oiled every 500 or less miles. Adjusted chain last night, adjustment is at the third mark from the front. I sometimes wonder if I have not adjusted it regular enough, but it is always in spec.
Haystack_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, 30,000 miles. That's awesome. Congrats.

What about spark plugs and valves?
I pulled the two outside plugs today (the easy ones) and they were identical. Clean with no deposits. I'd say that they look brand new but that would be a slight exaggeration. My gapper indicates slightly less than .035" so even though it's approaching the edge of the envelope, they're both within spec. (.031" - .035").

Unless I detect any deterioration in starting or performance, I'll pull 'em again @ 50,000 mi. By their looks, I'll extrapolate service life to exceed 100,000 mi. We'll see.

At 15,000 mi. I had a service check done and the valves were within spec. no adj. necessary. At the time, the mechanic said that they shouldn't need to checked again. I'll save the $165.00 service fee and buy fuel.

What a great bike!

Later.
I have an old friend from high school that is Service Manager at a Honda dealership, has been for years. He is very knowledgable about pretty much all things mechanical, (built a couple of national record holding H-2's in 1/8th mile drag racing a few years back). As I approached 8k miles, I asked him about the valve inspection, he said that he wouldn't look until around 16k, as long as the bike is performing as expected.

It is a gamble, but I don't think it's much of one. I am at 16k now, and plan to have it done over the winter. Bike is still fine, plugs are clean, etc.

Typical Honda.
 
Back
Top