3 in 1 Filter Wrench, 17mm Magnetic Drain Bolt, OEM Oil Filter, Crush Washers?

LordWasr_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi all,

First post here, I found the site through Youtube. I checked out Memphis Mikes oil change video since my 600miles are coming up soon. I've never worked on a car or bike but his video made it seem simple enough for me to try. I found this kit online but I'm not sure if this is the correct things to use? If it is, I just need to buy the oil , drain pan, & funnel and I should be good to go.

I did search this forum for the "600 mile DIY" the pictures are all gone =\ .

Sorry in advance for the nooby question. This is my second bike and I'd like to learn how to work on it myself, or at least don an oil change haha.

Combo kit in question

Filter Wrench, OEM Oil Filter, Crush Washers Combo

what it comes with, just in case i'm not allowed to link here.

Factory Oil Drain Bolt COMBO - 3 in 1 Oil Filter Wrench for GL1500, GL1800 Honda + Factory OEM Oil Filter + Crush Washer 10-pack. Smart design 3 in 1 Dual End Wrench fits Aftermarket GL1500, GL1800 magnetic drain bolts (13mm) AND stock factory oem oil drain bolt (17mm). Smart design allows oil filter removal without removing lower cowls on Honda GL1500, GL1800 Gold Wing motorcycles. <-- I know it says Gold Wing motorcycles but on Mikes video he listed a 17mm wrench, so I'm assuming they're the same? How about the Crush Washer & Oil Filter?

Thanks!
 
G’day LordWasr. Welcome to the forum. A 17 mm wrench sounds right for the drain bolt. The crush washer is 14 mm I think. The filter looks right in the picture, but without the part number it’s hard to be sure. I’m a mechanical klutz, but I can change the oil on my CB1100 without difficulty.

Good luck.
 
On the parts fiche the oil filter part number is the same for the CB and the Goldwing. The oil plug washers have the same part number too and are 14mm. That kit will work fine.

The oil drain plug on our bikes is not magnetic though. Mine is as I changed it to one.

Since you say you are a Klutz ( :) ) The only big warning I can think of is to make sure the oil filter gasket comes off with the filter. If not, pull it off the engine before installing the new filter. A couple of members did not and had major leaks. 2 gaskets don’t work :)

To add: I had some problems posting this due to subject line length but Cormanus told me how to fix that.
 
I’ve shortened the subject slightly so there should not be a problem.
 
These are factory numbers:

Oil filter + cap wrench Honda 15410-MCE-H51
Oil filter Honda 15410-MFJ-D01

Crush washer is 14 mm
 
Truly, this is the easiest bike on which I've ever changed oil and filter, and I've had (at last count) 20 bikes . . .

If you put the bike on the centerstand, pull the drain plug and remove the filter, let it drain for 20 minutes (assuming hot), it will take exactly four quarts of oil when you refill it to bring it to the top of the sight plug. Easy. None of this "add most of the oil, run it, recheck, add a bit more, etc." that I've experienced on some BMWs and Harleys (though my new M8 Harleys aren't that way). Some of that is due to wet sump vs. dry sump designs.

Interesting to note that the oil filter takes the same cap wrench as many or most Honda cars, and the drain plug gasket is the same one used on every Honda and Acura car I've ever serviced. Same size head on the drain plug (17 mm) as on the Honda and Acura cars, too.

Just one more reason I like Hondas . . . they seem to avoid needless changes on simple maintenance items.
 
Although I have filter cap tools to fit just about any size- I don't use them any more.

I have had several times that I end up fighting with an oily messy used filter to get it back out of the cap.

I purchashed a set of filter pliers a few years ago and love them. Like these-

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/oem-oil-filter-pliers/141500_0_0

f9a46610e40a66b54388334b9b174ae7.



Also something else learned from years of working on stuff- I now use a tq wrench on a lot of things when I never did as a kid. And yea- there was times I had to deal with stripped stuff.

It is pretty common on cars for shop monkeys to strip the oil pan plugs. If you have never wrenched on anything before, take the time to do it right and start with good habits instead of learning by mistake.
 
Thread starter
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the fast response and detailed information that you've all given. I will make sure to take the gasket off of the oil filter before I place the new one in lol! I did not know that -_- thanks for the heads up! Glad to have found this forum with everyone being so friendly to a noob . Now the only thing is to learn how to use the center stand haha. I've already found some threads and one of them had 2 youtube vids that I bookmarked already. I'll have a friend come over before I do it myself. For some reason it seems kind of scary putting it on & then putting it back down. Im afraid I'll drop the bike LOL . From what I've read it's super easy and effortless but I'm just being paranoid haha. Have a great day and ride safe everyone!

picture of my stock 2014 CB1100 :) got her used off Craiglist and took her out to ride yesterday 100% happy
 
You don’t have to take the gasket off the old filter, just make sure it is on it. If not, peel it off the engine!

You’ll all kinds of advice on the center stand. And if you don’t know how to do it, you could drop the bike. So don’t be paranoid.

The deal is, push the stand down with your right foot. Then lean the bike up until BOTH legs are touching the ground. Then you can hold the left handlebar grip with your left hand (and front wheel straight) and push down on the stand while using your right hand to pull up while holding the grab bar or rack bar if you have a rack. Use your weight on the center stand and the bike will pop right up. Your friend can show you. Its easy.

The real fun is if you get a heavy bike like the ST1300. That one is hard for me. But it comes up.

Getting it down. Well, I’m a small guy so I sit on mine and rock it off. Some just hold the handlebars and push. That ain’t me :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You don’t have to take the gasket off the old filter, just make sure it is on it. If not, peel it off the engine!

You’ll all kinds of advice on the center stand. And if you don’t know how to do it, you could drop the bike. So don’t be paranoid.

The deal is, push the stand down with your right foot. Then lean the bike up until BOTH legs are touching the ground. Then you can hold the left handlebar grip with your left hand (and front wheel straight) and push down on the stand while using your right hand to pull up while holding the grab bar or rack bar if you have a rack. Use your weight on the center stand and the bike will pop right up. Your friend can show you. Its easy.

The real fun is if you get a heavy bike like the ST1300. That one is hard for me. But it comes up.

Getting it down. Well, I’m a small guy so I sit on mine and rock it off. Some just hold the handlebars and push. That ain’t me :)
Me too. I also grab some front brake as the stand pops up.
 
I’m in Fountain Valley. I get my oil, filter and crush washer at Huntington Beach Honda. What part of Orange County are you in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You don’t have to take the gasket off the old filter, just make sure it is on it. If not, peel it off the engine!

You’ll all kinds of advice on the center stand. And if you don’t know how to do it, you could drop the bike. So don’t be paranoid.

The deal is, push the stand down with your right foot. Then lean the bike up until BOTH legs are touching the ground. Then you can hold the left handlebar grip with your left hand (and front wheel straight) and push down on the stand while using your right hand to pull up while holding the grab bar or rack bar if you have a rack. Use your weight on the center stand and the bike will pop right up. Your friend can show you. Its easy.

The real fun is if you get a heavy bike like the ST1300. That one is hard for me. But it comes up.

Getting it down. Well, I’m a small guy so I sit on mine and rock it off. Some just hold the handlebars and push. That ain’t me :)
Me too. I also grab some front brake as the stand pops up.
Me too. I also grab some front brake as the stand pops up.
Yeah, me too.
 
No need to feel paranoid about using the center stand. Done incorrectly could definitely result in a tip over. It took me a while to be able to do it confidently. Also worth noting that I am pretty light at 155 lbs so a heavier person will have a much easier time with it. It is ALL about putting weight straight down on the center stand foot platform, which acts as a lever and lifts the bike up and backwards. I will stand completely on the center stand with all my weight, meaning my other (left) foot is suspended in the air. My weight alone is not enough to do the trick so pulling straight up on the grab rail is necessary to get it the rest of the way up. From there its a nice fluid motion of the bike moving up and backwards. Commiting to the task and being fluid are important. As are having your bike on a flat, level, hard surface. You'll get it with a bit of practice.

Getting it off the centerstand is a bit easier. I usually get on the bike , right foot on the foot peg, left foot on the ground for leverage/balance. Then just heft your weight forward pretty hard and the bike will roll forward off the stand. Cover the front brake with your hand to prevent it rolling forward too far if something is in front of you.

Also oil changes on this bike are a breeeeze.
 
Exactly as dbarkdoll says. The difference for me is that my grab bar is blocked by saddlebag so I reach down to passenger peg mount and pull up from there. The main thing is pushing down on the stand. One other thing, I ALWAYS start from the bike on its side stand, push center stand down to the ground and then push bike to get both feet of center stand on the ground. Then push down on stand while lifting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
thanks for all the tips, i read them all and watched the youtube vids a few times and went to the garage and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be lol!! Im probably going to sit on the bike to rock it off just to be safe .

<-- i did it ! haha
MMC_imp said:
I’m in Fountain Valley. I get my oil, filter and crush washer at Huntington Beach Honda. What part of Orange County are you in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La Habra :biker:
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Although I have filter cap tools to fit just about any size- I don't use them any more.

I have had several times that I end up fighting with an oily messy used filter to get it back out of the cap.

I purchashed a set of filter pliers a few years ago and love them. Like these-

https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/oil-filter-wrench/oem-oil-filter-pliers/141500_0_0

f9a46610e40a66b54388334b9b174ae7.



Also something else learned from years of working on stuff- I now use a tq wrench on a lot of things when I never did as a kid. And yea- there was times I had to deal with stripped stuff.

It is pretty common on cars for shop monkeys to strip the oil pan plugs. If you have never wrenched on anything before, take the time to do it right and start with good habits instead of learning by mistake.
 
LordWasr_imp said:
thanks for all the tips, i read them all and watched the youtube vids a few times and went to the garage and it wasnt as bad as i thought it would be lol!! Im probably going to sit on the bike to rock it off just to be safe .

<-- i did it ! haha
MMC_imp said:
I’m in Fountain Valley. I get my oil, filter and crush washer at Huntington Beach Honda. What part of Orange County are you in?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
La Habra :biker:
La Habra :biker:
Nicely done. Now that you've done it once it will be a breeze from here on out.
 
Thread starter
Woot Woot !!! Quick question, if I take the gas tank off should I wait til I have 1 bar left? The reason is because I'm installing the battery tender quick dissconect chord & also the adapter for a USB . I was thinking to run the iPhone cable underneath the gas tank and pop the charger out in middle. I saw a video on how to take the tank off where you unplug 2 tubes but not sure on what to do if there's still gas in the tank lol.

Thanks in advance !!
 
LordWasr_imp said:
Woot Woot !!! Quick question, if I take the gas tank off should I wait til I have 1 bar left? The reason is because I'm installing the battery tender quick dissconect chord & also the adapter for a USB . I was thinking to run the iPhone cable underneath the gas tank and pop the charger out in middle. I saw a video on how to take the tank off where you unplug 2 tubes but not sure on what to do if there's still gas in the tank lol.

Thanks in advance !!
The fuel line connector automatically prevents any fuel leaking when it's disconnected. You will only spill a tiny amount that is in the line. Other than the additional weight of more fuel in the tank you can remove the tank whenever you like. I prefer to do it whilst it is as empty as possible because it's easy to manage the lighter it is.
 
Back
Top