2nd service.

J.W._imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Just given my 2014 CB1100 it's 2nd service at 3,500 miles. I never bothered with using a dealer, I saved some money and did it myself. Castrol Power 1 10w30 engine oil, Honda oil filter. I stripped the front and rear brake calipers, greased the sliders etc. Checked and adjusted the sparkplugs. All seems good.
 
Wow do you ride thru a lot of dirt? That seems excessive. You had to bleed the brakes too didnt you?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wow do you ride thru a lot of dirt? That seems excessive. You had to bleed the brakes too didnt you?
Not any more excessive than Pterodactyl removing his swingarm to replace the chain! I always wondered about that...unless he bought an OEM chain which was endless, but who does that?:thumbsup:

It does rain a lot in England so that would be typical.
 
Thread starter
Had a free day and it was wet outside, so I went through the bike properly. I intend keeping it for a long time. It pays in my opinion to take care of the machine. All done now.
 
J.W._imp said:
Had a free day and it was wet outside, so I went through the bike properly. I intend keeping it for a long time. It pays in my opinion to take care of the machine. All done now.
Not that much work. I replaced all my hydraulic lines after three years with stainless steel and flushed the brake fluid. New OEM pads for the rear, I like them. Water is not too good for brake systems.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow do you ride thru a lot of dirt? That seems excessive. You had to bleed the brakes too didnt you?
Not any more excessive than Pterodactyl removing his swingarm to replace the chain! I always wondered about that...unless he bought an OEM chain which was endless, but who does that?:thumbsup:

It does rain a lot in England so that would be typical.
As I recall that had to do with being able to the get the chain somewhere to join it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ulvetanna_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Wow do you ride thru a lot of dirt? That seems excessive. You had to bleed the brakes too didnt you?
Not any more excessive than Pterodactyl removing his swingarm to replace the chain! I always wondered about that...unless he bought an OEM chain which was endless, but who does that?:thumbsup:

It does rain a lot in England so that would be typical.
As I recall that had to do with being able to the get the chain somewhere to join it.
As I recall that had to do with being able to the get the chain somewhere to join it. I don't quite follow that. I've replaced countless chains, unless it's an OEM endless chain you just break it to length and install a master link. You leave the old chain on after you break it by pushing out a pin on the low side with the proper tool, use a piece of safety wire or something like that to connect the new chain to the old one on top of the swingarm, and pull the new chain into place that way, joining it on the bottom. Otherwise if you lose the end of the chain, in the worst case you just pull the countershaft sprocket cover and thread it through.

I just figured he wanted to lube the swingarm bushings and had an extra six-pack in the icebox.:thumbsup:

Then again, it may be one of several unsolved Tithonian conundrums.
 
Wasn't the point that he created an endless chain by staking it rather than using a master link and therefor had to remove the swingarm to instal it? See Sprockets, sprockets, sprockets.
 
Cormanus, whether you use a clip style master link or a staking type master link (staking type means the ends of the master link pins are mushroomed to prevent pulling thru the outer plate) you don't have to remove the swingarm to replace a chain that has 2 visible ends. For an endless chain from the factory with no visible ends, 1 big solid circle, the swingarm must be removed for installation.

 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus, whether you use a clip style master link or a staking type master link (staking type means the ends of the master link pins are mushroomed to prevent pulling thru the outer plate) you don't have to remove the swingarm to replace a chain that has 2 visible ends. For an endless chain from the factory with no visible ends, 1 big solid circle, the swingarm must be removed for installation.

I have heard that water swirls in the opposite direction down under (it actually does due to the Coriolis effect) but this is just too many for me.

I am sure what happened is the chain was joined inadvertently due to enthusiasm and then the swinging arm was removed. Of course, the master link could have been removed and replaced once more after the usual placement of the chain but if no spare master link was handy (been there) what else you gonna do?

Anyone tries to tell me he's never dropped a socket down a cam chain tunnel or forgot to put a spacer in right when replacing a wheel...well you get my drift.

Just don't let Stoner or Doohan read this forum.:beerchug:
 
Poor old Cormanus was not clear again. Thank you Ferret and Ulvetanna for your help in making me understand my error. Clear communication is so difficult, isn't it?

My understanding is that Pterodactyl chose to stake the new chain on a bench rather than on the bike. It was a deliberate decision and not inadvertent. For reasons unknown to me, he does not trust the available staking tools. The upshot? A homemade endless chain. That meant that the swingarm had to be removed so he could install it.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Poor old Cormanus was not clear again. Thank you Ferret and Ulvetanna for your help in making me understand my error. Clear communication is so difficult, isn't it?

My understanding is that Pterodactyl chose to stake the new chain on a bench rather than on the bike. It was a deliberate decision and not inadvertent. For reasons unknown to me, he does not trust the available staking tools. The upshot? A homemade endless chain. That meant that the swingarm had to be removed so he could install it.
:rofl: sometimes Cormanus sometimes
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Poor old Cormanus was not clear again. Thank you Ferret and Ulvetanna for your help in making me understand my error. Clear communication is so difficult, isn't it?

My understanding is that Pterodactyl chose to stake the new chain on a bench rather than on the bike. It was a deliberate decision and not inadvertent. For reasons unknown to me, he does not trust the available staking tools. The upshot? A homemade endless chain. That meant that the swingarm had to be removed so he could install it.
Makes sense to me. The long way around but if you have the time, why not? Also staking is rather difficult to do with the chain on the bike; I use the type of master link that essentially rivets the link in place which is quite simple but actually staking the pins, like the OEM chain, that's something different.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Poor old Cormanus was not clear again. Thank you Ferret and Ulvetanna for your help in making me understand my error. Clear communication is so difficult, isn't it?

My understanding is that Pterodactyl chose to stake the new chain on a bench rather than on the bike. It was a deliberate decision and not inadvertent. For reasons unknown to me, he does not trust the available staking tools. The upshot? A homemade endless chain. That meant that the swingarm had to be removed so he could install it.
Makes sense to me. The long way around but if you have the time, why not? Also staking is rather difficult to do with the chain on the bike; I use the type of master link that essentially rivets the link in place which is quite simple but actually staking the pins, like the OEM chain, that's something different.
That was the point, I think.
 
why the heck would anyone ever remove the swing arm to install any chain? just buy a chain tool and a master link and done.
 
Back
Top