20K miles: how this chain looks like?

valkyrie_rider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Gentlemen

I just got a 2013 model with 20K miles and was wondering how much life its chain/sprocket still got.

I'm unsure how frequent was the oiling or how hard it was ridden.

Generally speaking, what would be the expected service life of an OEM chain set for a CB1100?

While at it, what is the lub you guys use in your bikes?

Here are a few photos showing the chain (20K miles):

253f309fe72a810aad3d4a42d2d89340.jpeg


1bc1930499699196ab6bd31a83cace49.jpeg


d9550b2cbf446bad758f4fa3fc3c09af.jpeg


08481ebc4c8bca5dd9501b801eed6905.jpeg
 
I replaced both sprockets, chain and rear hub rubber damper set at around 60K kms
 
I have never worn down sprockets like some folks seem to do (especially if the bike is taken off-road riding), but depending on your standard of care and maintenance, I would think an owner could get over 60000 kms out of the chain (sprockets likely more).

I have used non-o-ring chains past 75000 kms without needing a change and the sprockets were pristine.

Again, your mileage will vary.
 
I got 37,000 miles out of my original chain and sprockets and currently have 37,000 miles on the replacement set
 
Valkyrie, that chain looks pretty darn clean, doesn't appear to have any kinked links and the sprocket looks like it's wearing normally. Not sure where you are in CA, but it looks like that chain wasn't left wet to rust at any point in its life, and you should be good to go for quite a few more miles.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Valkyrie, that chain looks pretty darn clean, doesn't appear to have any kinked links and the sprocket looks like it's wearing normally. Not sure where you are in CA, but it looks like that chain wasn't left wet to rust at any point in its life, and you should be good to go for quite a few more miles.
... at least a few more.
 
Thread starter
@all: thanks a lot for the feedback, I'm glad I should be able to ride it for the next +10K to 15K miles (or so).
:-)

Another question I have: what you guys generally use for lubbing the chain?

I had a good experience using the DuPont Chain Saver wax spray on my Suzuki DL650 chain.
 
Starting any sentence with "what kind of" will open Pandora's Box.
I've used Maxima chain wax in the gold can for many years. Good protection, minimal fling, keeps things clean.
I've tried other lubes but have always come back to this stuff.
 
And yet the adjuster gauge appears to indicate the chain is stretched out (worn) pretty good.

Comments?
 
Cool! For me, it's all about getting the longest mileage and the least amount of shmootz on my bike.
And you know how cheap I am... Maxima is usually on sale somewhere.
 
Thread starter
I'm planning to order a set (chain/sprocket/etc) to have it handy when I need it.

I got a few questions, please see below:
a) What is the consensus concerning the OEM set
b) Is there something that is better/lasts long
c) Does it make sense to change the relation to make the engine RPMs/ run a bit slower while in the highway?
 
Back
Top