2023 Moto Guzzi V85TT

Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Nice review GO. I agree with it on the whole. They don't have the horse power but they do have some get up and go. Riding mine is nothing like riding my concours but then I don't expect it to be and in a lot of ways I find the V85 to be more fun to ride.
:thumbsup: KE.

That is about where the well-placed passion is at.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ride the CB more? :D
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
 
Au2O, what a great ride report! The references to CB and Africa twin, reverberated with my experience too (substitute Tuareg 660 to AT). This year was my first Moto Guzzi experience ever and loved every minute of it.
Thank you for a wonderful review!
 
Thread starter
Mercurysilver_imp said:
Au2O, what a great ride report! The references to CB and Africa twin, reverberated with my experience too (substitute Tuareg 660 to AT). This year was my first Moto Guzzi experience ever and loved every minute of it.
Thank you for a wonderful review!
:thumbsup: Thank you for the feedback MercurySilver.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Ride the CB more? :D
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
I see your problem, although I reckon your CB is good for 200,000 miles at the very least.
 
Maybe, but who knows and do I want to chance it? I say wear out the NC, and save the CB for pleasure rides and the rally. Heck I'll probably still end up putting twice the miles on it this year than most guys put on their bikes in a year.
 
Yeah. Stick to the plan. I guess using it sparingly also adds to your appreciation of it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Ride the CB more? :D
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
Ferret that's amazing. Question: Can you detail the valve inspection/adjustment history of your bike?

Thanks...
 
Nice ride report there GO, while not disagreeing I'll add a few comments if you don't mind.

It was just before I took mine back for the initial service at 1,000 miles that I noticed the engine was running a little nicer, easier if you will. Nothing dramatic but just a bit smoother. In addition at around 3,500 miles now it seems even smoother yet, probably because I've become more adapted to the bike and the rpm it feels best at, which is a little higher than I rode it initially. For instance at 100 kph on level I'm generally in 5th now where early on I was shifting up to 6th a little before that speed like I did on the V7 Stone. The V85 likes to rev.

The TFT could be a bit larger but what some might not realize when looking at it in your first image is that what appears to be "dead" space outside the rectangle display actually is part of it as well being where most of the function and warning lights are, so they're not cluttering the display itself.

For a stock seat I found it to be very good, so much so that I haven't changed it to an aftermarket one like I do on almost every motorcycle I have owned. The only thing is sometimes on longer rides I wished I could scoot back just a bit so what I did was to remove the bump at the rear of the riders seat and that lets me shift back almost another inch which made a big improvement. I'm not even considering changing the seat now.

I never noticed the high beam switch feeling chintzy but since you mentioned it I'll probably be thinking about that LOL! I will say the LED lights are wonderful at night.

While I've yet to take mine on a long trip I did ride it down to VA and NC for 4 days and found it to be a wonderful solo touring bike (I'm not sure if 2-up on a long trip though). The top load Adventure panniers hold a lot and my camping bag and tent lay nicely across the rear rack / seat / panniers. Cruise and heated grips were nice to have, wind and rain protection was good with the touring shield, and the bright lights were nice to have on the Blue Ridge Parkway after dark. If the interesting road turns to gravel the bike doesn't care a bit. And I didn't have to worry about range because it can easily go 250 miles (closer to 300 really) on a tank.

It's not for everyone some will want more power, some better off road, some more fairing and some will want less, but for me after living with it for a year now I like this bike more all the time.
 
DaSwami_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Ride the CB more? :D
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
Ferret that's amazing. Question: Can you detail the valve inspection/adjustment history of your bike?

Thanks...
In the next couple CB rides I will turn over 70,000 miles on it. I really love riding it, but at this point I'm using it strictly for pleasure rides so as not to wear it out. Each heart only gets so many heartbeats. Since buying the CB, I also put maybe 60,000 miles on my ST 1300, 38,000 miles on my FJR, and now 28,000 miles on my NC. If I had put all those miles on the CB, it would have been worn out years ago. My current goal is to put 5k on the CB for every 15K on whatever other bike I'm using as a daily rider.

The other bikes I don't really care about wearing out, they are just tools. I love my CB and want it to last until I can no longer ride.
Ferret that's amazing. Question: Can you detail the valve inspection/adjustment history of your bike?

Thanks...
Sure, that's easy, its never had the cam cover off.
 
Yeppers, rode it today, runs like a top.
 
Thread starter
Ollie_imp said:
Nice ride report there GO, while not disagreeing I'll add a few comments if you don't mind.

It was just before I took mine back for the initial service at 1,000 miles that I noticed the engine was running a little nicer, easier if you will. Nothing dramatic but just a bit smoother. In addition at around 3,500 miles now it seems even smoother yet, probably because I've become more adapted to the bike and the rpm it feels best at, which is a little higher than I rode it initially. For instance at 100 kph on level I'm generally in 5th now where early on I was shifting up to 6th a little before that speed like I did on the V7 Stone. The V85 likes to rev.

The TFT could be a bit larger but what some might not realize when looking at it in your first image is that what appears to be "dead" space outside the rectangle display actually is part of it as well being where most of the function and warning lights are, so they're not cluttering the display itself.

For a stock seat I found it to be very good, so much so that I haven't changed it to an aftermarket one like I do on almost every motorcycle I have owned. The only thing is sometimes on longer rides I wished I could scoot back just a bit so what I did was to remove the bump at the rear of the riders seat and that lets me shift back almost another inch which made a big improvement. I'm not even considering changing the seat now.

I never noticed the high beam switch feeling chintzy but since you mentioned it I'll probably be thinking about that LOL! I will say the LED lights are wonderful at night.

While I've yet to take mine on a long trip I did ride it down to VA and NC for 4 days and found it to be a wonderful solo touring bike (I'm not sure if 2-up on a long trip though). The top load Adventure panniers hold a lot and my camping bag and tent lay nicely across the rear rack / seat / panniers. Cruise and heated grips were nice to have, wind and rain protection was good with the touring shield, and the bright lights were nice to have on the Blue Ridge Parkway after dark. If the interesting road turns to gravel the bike doesn't care a bit. And I didn't have to worry about range because it can easily go 250 miles (closer to 300 really) on a tank.

It's not for everyone some will want more power, some better off road, some more fairing and some will want less, but for me after living with it for a year now I like this bike more all the time.
Thanks Ollie. Some useful tips indeed.

My general understanding of Guzzis, and particularly of the past 20 years, is they smooth out quite nicely after 10000 clicks. In regards to the V85TT, the "last" ECU firmware upgrade (last fall season), Moto Guzzi made a significant fix to smooth out the fueling. Lots of online claims to that. I spoke to an owner directly last night and he brought this up too.

In regards to power: Yes, buyers who become owners know that well. Being down some 10, 20, 30 ponies is not why one buys such a ride. I found 76 hp quite fun, and the torque is available on tap. The bike I rode never stalled and I did not need to drag the clutch.

Overall, the vibe feels good. I wonder how the lump behaves at -15C? Many express, don't bother. I would love to try. At least the CB1100 does not complain at -25C.
 
Oxide, you called the bike “heavy”. Depending on whose numbers you believe the weight of the bike is listed at a low of 460 pounds by Guzzi up to 502 pounds. Those are dry. At the low number it’s 90 pounds LIGHTER than the CB1100. Are you calling it ‘weighty’ because it feels heavy or heavy compared to the CB1100?
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
Oxide, you called the bike “heavy”. Depending on whose numbers you believe the weight of the bike is listed at a low of 460 pounds by Guzzi up to 502 pounds. Those are dry. At the low number it’s 90 pounds LIGHTER than the CB1100. Are you calling it ‘weighty’ because it feels heavy or heavy compared to the CB1100?
The V85TT is not a light bike, numerically or statically.

However, I can manage its weight better than the CB1100 and CRF1000 when still. Might be simply the weight center is located lower down in the frame.

If a potential owner is looking for a light V85TT for some regular offroad use, they should continue looking elsewhere. There are many other options. For road use, it seems nice.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
Nice ride report there GO, while not disagreeing I'll add a few comments if you don't mind.

It was just before I took mine back for the initial service at 1,000 miles that I noticed the engine was running a little nicer, easier if you will. Nothing dramatic but just a bit smoother. In addition at around 3,500 miles now it seems even smoother yet, probably because I've become more adapted to the bike and the rpm it feels best at, which is a little higher than I rode it initially. For instance at 100 kph on level I'm generally in 5th now where early on I was shifting up to 6th a little before that speed like I did on the V7 Stone. The V85 likes to rev.

The TFT could be a bit larger but what some might not realize when looking at it in your first image is that what appears to be "dead" space outside the rectangle display actually is part of it as well being where most of the function and warning lights are, so they're not cluttering the display itself.

For a stock seat I found it to be very good, so much so that I haven't changed it to an aftermarket one like I do on almost every motorcycle I have owned. The only thing is sometimes on longer rides I wished I could scoot back just a bit so what I did was to remove the bump at the rear of the riders seat and that lets me shift back almost another inch which made a big improvement. I'm not even considering changing the seat now.

I never noticed the high beam switch feeling chintzy but since you mentioned it I'll probably be thinking about that LOL! I will say the LED lights are wonderful at night.

While I've yet to take mine on a long trip I did ride it down to VA and NC for 4 days and found it to be a wonderful solo touring bike (I'm not sure if 2-up on a long trip though). The top load Adventure panniers hold a lot and my camping bag and tent lay nicely across the rear rack / seat / panniers. Cruise and heated grips were nice to have, wind and rain protection was good with the touring shield, and the bright lights were nice to have on the Blue Ridge Parkway after dark. If the interesting road turns to gravel the bike doesn't care a bit. And I didn't have to worry about range because it can easily go 250 miles (closer to 300 really) on a tank.

It's not for everyone some will want more power, some better off road, some more fairing and some will want less, but for me after living with it for a year now I like this bike more all the time.
Thanks Ollie. Some useful tips indeed.

My general understanding of Guzzis, and particularly of the past 20 years, is they smooth out quite nicely after 10000 clicks. In regards to the V85TT, the "last" ECU firmware upgrade (last fall season), Moto Guzzi made a significant fix to smooth out the fueling. Lots of online claims to that. I spoke to an owner directly last night and he brought this up too.

In regards to power: Yes, buyers who become owners know that well. Being down some 10, 20, 30 ponies is not why one buys such a ride. I found 76 hp quite fun, and the torque is available on tap. The bike I rode never stalled and I did not need to drag the clutch.

Overall, the vibe feels good. I wonder how the lump behaves at -15C? Many express, don't bother. I would love to try. At least the CB1100 does not complain at -25C.
Thanks for bringing that up because my 2021 doesn't have the updated mapping so I really should make an appointment to have it done. The service department will no doubt be backlogged so I better call while I'm thinking about it.
 
Thread starter
Ollie_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
Nice ride report there GO, while not disagreeing I'll add a few comments if you don't mind.

It was just before I took mine back for the initial service at 1,000 miles that I noticed the engine was running a little nicer, easier if you will. Nothing dramatic but just a bit smoother. In addition at around 3,500 miles now it seems even smoother yet, probably because I've become more adapted to the bike and the rpm it feels best at, which is a little higher than I rode it initially. For instance at 100 kph on level I'm generally in 5th now where early on I was shifting up to 6th a little before that speed like I did on the V7 Stone. The V85 likes to rev.

The TFT could be a bit larger but what some might not realize when looking at it in your first image is that what appears to be "dead" space outside the rectangle display actually is part of it as well being where most of the function and warning lights are, so they're not cluttering the display itself.

For a stock seat I found it to be very good, so much so that I haven't changed it to an aftermarket one like I do on almost every motorcycle I have owned. The only thing is sometimes on longer rides I wished I could scoot back just a bit so what I did was to remove the bump at the rear of the riders seat and that lets me shift back almost another inch which made a big improvement. I'm not even considering changing the seat now.

I never noticed the high beam switch feeling chintzy but since you mentioned it I'll probably be thinking about that LOL! I will say the LED lights are wonderful at night.

While I've yet to take mine on a long trip I did ride it down to VA and NC for 4 days and found it to be a wonderful solo touring bike (I'm not sure if 2-up on a long trip though). The top load Adventure panniers hold a lot and my camping bag and tent lay nicely across the rear rack / seat / panniers. Cruise and heated grips were nice to have, wind and rain protection was good with the touring shield, and the bright lights were nice to have on the Blue Ridge Parkway after dark. If the interesting road turns to gravel the bike doesn't care a bit. And I didn't have to worry about range because it can easily go 250 miles (closer to 300 really) on a tank.

It's not for everyone some will want more power, some better off road, some more fairing and some will want less, but for me after living with it for a year now I like this bike more all the time.
Thanks Ollie. Some useful tips indeed.

My general understanding of Guzzis, and particularly of the past 20 years, is they smooth out quite nicely after 10000 clicks. In regards to the V85TT, the "last" ECU firmware upgrade (last fall season), Moto Guzzi made a significant fix to smooth out the fueling. Lots of online claims to that. I spoke to an owner directly last night and he brought this up too.

In regards to power: Yes, buyers who become owners know that well. Being down some 10, 20, 30 ponies is not why one buys such a ride. I found 76 hp quite fun, and the torque is available on tap. The bike I rode never stalled and I did not need to drag the clutch.

Overall, the vibe feels good. I wonder how the lump behaves at -15C? Many express, don't bother. I would love to try. At least the CB1100 does not complain at -25C.
Thanks for bringing that up because my 2021 doesn't have the updated mapping so I really should make an appointment to have it done. The service department will no doubt be backlogged so I better call while I'm thinking about it.
Thanks for bringing that up because my 2021 doesn't have the updated mapping so I really should make an appointment to have it done. The service department will no doubt be backlogged so I better call while I'm thinking about it.
Excellent.

It is my understanding the ECU firmware update was a significant benefit to V85TT owners.

The Honda Africa Twin 1100 also had a similar update awhile ago for its ECU.
 
I just got back from a 4 day long weekend trip up to the Susquehannock Forrest with the Montco Riders, we stayed in Coudersport. After Sundays ride we were sitting down cracking open some beers and one of the Harley owners was asking me about my V85. After explaining it a bit I said why dont you take it for a ride? So he did. Off he went up route 6 and after a little while back he comes with a State Trooper pulling in behind him. It turns out the trooper is a motorcyclist and just wanted to talk about bikes! He’s actually thinking about getting a V85. Great guy and for a young fella really knows his bikes.

062fc645eb0768aaa12f2f789354da9f.jpg


a82851bf3e8672ed17e66d9aab3ba1e8.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Cool. We used to shoot a Traditional Archery Nationals Tournament at the ski resort in Coudersport every year. Beautiful country.
 
Back
Top