2021 Harley Davidson Pan America in Showrooms

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Saw two versions in different colors last Saturday at my local dealer. Was scheduled to ride one but hurt my knee pretty bad a week before and was still on the mend so opted not to. General impressions of seeing one in the flesh. Comes off the side stand pretty easily. 568 pounds (1/2 a Frulk) or so WET weight. Looks to be of high build quality throughout.

Lots of electronic toys in the display screen to include wifi phone sync, ride modes etc etc. Tubeless spoked rims, center stand, 150-152 HP. Motor based on vRod model that Porsche collaborated on. Front end looks drew a lot of criticism initially when early pics came out. I used the reference to Bender the Robot, To me it looks more unique than off-putting. Like that it doesn’t have the standard ubiquitous ADV beak.

It’s techy but not overly so. For instance the windscreen is manual for raising and lowering. I like that. One thing I don’t like is the outrageously large muffler. That’s a styling concept I wish would fade away like yesterday.

I’m going to try to take one for a test ride tomorrow pm after my annual medical exam.

Anecdotal Comment: GS rider there just finished riding one. Said it was an impressive motor. Kept on about the torque.

I’ll add some pics later. Also. 2 of the 3 they had were sold.
 
Let us know huh how you like it and how the seat lowering thingy works at stop signs and lights
 
Frulk_imp said:
Saw two versions in different colors last Saturday at my local dealer. Was scheduled to ride one but hurt my knee pretty bad a week before and was still on the mend so opted not to. General impressions of seeing one in the flesh. Comes off the side stand pretty easily. 568 pounds (1/2 a Frulk) or so WET weight. Looks to be of high build quality throughout.

Lots of electronic toys in the display screen to include wifi phone sync, ride modes etc etc. Tubeless spoked rims, center stand, 150-152 HP. Motor based on vRod model that Porsche collaborated on. Front end looks drew a lot of criticism initially when early pics came out. I used the reference to Bender the Robot, To me it looks more unique than off-putting. Like that it doesn’t have the standard ubiquitous ADV beak.

It’s techy but not overly so. For instance the windscreen is manual for raising and lowering. I like that. One thing I don’t like is the outrageously large muffler. That’s a styling concept I wish would fade away like yesterday.

I’m going to try to take one for a test ride tomorrow pm after my annual medical exam.

Anecdotal Comment: GS rider there just finished riding one. Said it was an impressive motor. Kept on about the torque.

I’ll add some pics later. Also. 2 of the 3 they had were sold.
I listened to a podcast with the chief engineer and he said it was a clean-sheet design.

Frulk_imp said:
Saw two versions in different colors last Saturday at my local dealer. Was scheduled to ride one but hurt my knee pretty bad a week before and was still on the mend so opted not to. General impressions of seeing one in the flesh. Comes off the side stand pretty easily. 568 pounds (1/2 a Frulk) or so WET weight. Looks to be of high build quality throughout.

Lots of electronic toys in the display screen to include wifi phone sync, ride modes etc etc. Tubeless spoked rims, center stand, 150-152 HP. Motor based on vRod model that Porsche collaborated on. Front end looks drew a lot of criticism initially when early pics came out. I used the reference to Bender the Robot, To me it looks more unique than off-putting. Like that it doesn’t have the standard ubiquitous ADV beak.

It’s techy but not overly so. For instance the windscreen is manual for raising and lowering. I like that. One thing I don’t like is the outrageously large muffler. That’s a styling concept I wish would fade away like yesterday.

I’m going to try to take one for a test ride tomorrow pm after my annual medical exam.

Anecdotal Comment: GS rider there just finished riding one. Said it was an impressive motor. Kept on about the torque.

I’ll add some pics later. Also. 2 of the 3 they had were sold.
Agreed. Product manager on the podcast said they wanted to evoke "American offroad tradition in the automotive segment". I'm going to say Jeep Grand Wagoneer (it's not that far from Kenosha to Milwaukee):

c07fdf4e4b70244e4242687713902667.webp


4d37dd6d068d74a68d4c2e1dcacadc98.jpg


Frulk_imp said:
Saw two versions in different colors last Saturday at my local dealer. Was scheduled to ride one but hurt my knee pretty bad a week before and was still on the mend so opted not to. General impressions of seeing one in the flesh. Comes off the side stand pretty easily. 568 pounds (1/2 a Frulk) or so WET weight. Looks to be of high build quality throughout.

Lots of electronic toys in the display screen to include wifi phone sync, ride modes etc etc. Tubeless spoked rims, center stand, 150-152 HP. Motor based on vRod model that Porsche collaborated on. Front end looks drew a lot of criticism initially when early pics came out. I used the reference to Bender the Robot, To me it looks more unique than off-putting. Like that it doesn’t have the standard ubiquitous ADV beak.

It’s techy but not overly so. For instance the windscreen is manual for raising and lowering. I like that. One thing I don’t like is the outrageously large muffler. That’s a styling concept I wish would fade away like yesterday.

I’m going to try to take one for a test ride tomorrow pm after my annual medical exam.

Anecdotal Comment: GS rider there just finished riding one. Said it was an impressive motor. Kept on about the torque.

I’ll add some pics later. Also. 2 of the 3 they had were sold.
I doubt it was a choice. They have to meet emissions and noise regulations. I'm sure they would have loved to save the weight.
 
I think it is going to have a pretty poor load capacity compared to its rivals. It is difficult to find figures for that load capacity, but you can find the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and its dry weight, and I reckon the loading will end up at around 180-190Kg, some 40-50Kg less than a lot of rivals. For those of you that are interested you might ask the dealer what the load capacity is. Not really an issue for a solo rider but if you are a big two and load 'em high fan this won't be the bike for you.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I think it is going to have a pretty poor load capacity compared to its rivals. It is difficult to find figures for that load capacity, but you can find the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and its dry weight, and I reckon the loading will end up at around 180-190Kg, some 40-50Kg less than a lot of rivals. For those of you that are interested you might ask the dealer what the load capacity is. Not really an issue for a solo rider but if you are a big two and load 'em high fan this won't be the bike for you.
Used for "afternoon" off-roaders only then? :)
 
Interesting concept. I know some ADV riders and none of them ride two-up. Thrashing thru the wilderness you're on your feet on the pegs a lot, with your own gear, not suited for pillion. Pillion on an ADV is for Sunday morning/afternoon. I'd think the manual windscreen is a mistake. I had a Yami FJR and a BMW, and they both had electric windshield that were adjustable on the fly.
 
Thread starter
I’ll ask about load capacity. While swinging my leg over the seat I had to consciously try to avoid the passenger platform because it’s so elevated. And that is what it really is. More so than a seat. It kind of sits high like those on a sport bike. I can’t image a pillion doing any true adventure or distance riding on the stock offering.

It appears to be easily removable and prob so to make room for the obligatory aluminum top box. As noted above by another member.....these bikes don’t see passengers frequently in my non-scientific casual recollection. I can count on one hand the couples I’ve seen on ADV bikes. And we have a lot of ADV’s on Utah roads. In those cases the rider appeared to be 170 pounds max with gear and the passenger well below that estimated weight. Im all but sure the STEREOTYPICAL HD couple we see cruising around town will not be moving to this platform.

Stichill....I mentioned the salesperson during the discussion stated it was ‘based’ on the VRod. I guess that’s subject to some interpretation of what exactly he meant. You could start with a clean sheet for the Pan America and still pull in some of that motors tech. But I’m not up to speed on the specifics of either motor or their possible similarities, if any exist at all.

Still planning on riding it today. Asked salesman to have it set for sport mode and the slow speed lowering to be engaged if that’s an option to turn it on/off
 
Hopefully they re-worked the V-Rod engine to be more fuel efficient.

It is a big deal for ADV off-roaders who tend to go where this is no gasoline for a long period of time.
 
Fixing up Mom-in-Law's house in Fallbrook yesterday, came out of the local hardware store, and saw one at the curb in front of a small diner.

Ran across the street to gawk at it, and noticed the "distributor" plate. Being that Fallbrook is surrounded by twisty roads, and is a magnet for weekend riders, I put two-and-two together and figured that the rider must be a moto journalist.

When he came out, he already had his helmet on, so I couldn't tell if he was anyone recognizable, but he confirmed that he was riding it for an upcoming article. I asked if it was going to give BMW a run for it's GS money.

He paused a bit, and said "We'll see."
 
Did you wait until he fired it up? If so, how did it sound?
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Interesting concept. I know some ADV riders and none of them ride two-up. Thrashing thru the wilderness you're on your feet on the pegs a lot, with your own gear, not suited for pillion. Pillion on an ADV is for Sunday morning/afternoon. I'd think the manual windscreen is a mistake. I had a Yami FJR and a BMW, and they both had electric windshield that were adjustable on the fly.
I know plenty (maybe even the majority?) of BMW GS riders who regularly ride two-up. Not while "adventuring", but most who have these bikes use them off-road occasionally, and for touring or local hops and what-not most of the time. I'd think that for the HD to be successful, it'd need to satisfy road use, including two-up touring as well as the competition.
 
Ferret, I did wait till he fired it up and rode away, and he blipped it a few times for me to hear. It had a Screaming Eagle muffler, which is a Harley aftermarket piece. If you've ever heard a BMW twin with a slip-on, it sounded very similar.

Tommy, to your point, the rider commented that the Pan American will be sold with options for knobby off-road tires or road tires.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ferret, I did wait till he fired it up and rode away, and he blipped it a few times for me to hear. It had a Screaming Eagle muffler, which is a Harley aftermarket piece. If you've ever heard a BMW twin with a slip-on, it sounded very similar.

Tommy, to your point, the rider commented that the Pan American will be sold with options for knobby off-road tires or road tires.
Did it resonate with you?

Did you feel any urges?

Did you yearn for want?

Suddenly did you wish for a new tattoo, or shave the head?

Did you have a hint of questioning your CB1100 ownership?

Did you feel homicidal?
 
Thread starter
Finally stopped by the dealer and took the Harley Davidson Pan America for a ride last Thursday. The bike didn't have the auto lowering option. I forgot to check to see how much gas was in the tank as that would impact the opinion on how top heavy it would feel. The ride mode was set for 'road'.

I was struck how by smooth the motor was at idle. I was once a member of a Guzzi forum where the CB1100 came up for discussion. A poster stated he saw a video of a full shot glass sitting on the seat of a CB while running and felt it was a hoax (apparently the years of riding an Italian farm implement skewed his perception of how far modern bikes had come). Anyway, I think you could set a full shot glass on this seat and it wouldn't vibrate off. Mbr's accustomed to the traditional Harley idle bounce will be taken by surprise.

The next thing that was very evident was the number of various metallic noises coming from the motor. Again....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING like anything I've heard from a Harley motor before....and currently I have a 2009 XR1200 and a 2005 Road King in the garage. The motor to me was louder than the exhaust note at almost all points of the RPM range.

Seating position was upright and comfortable for me. I had planned after merging onto the freeway to see how quick the bike climbed between 60 to 90mph. That was derailed as just before I merged a county Sheriff pulled in front of me and I ended up staying behind him the whole way to my exit. At the right RPM the motor pulled hard but it would take some getting acquainted with the bike first to find those sweet spots in each of the 6 gears. The motor is more than willing but seems to bog down just a bit below the optimum RPM range when you roll the throttle on (if that makes any sense). Could be I'm used to a five speed gearbox vs the 6 on this bike.

I almost dropped the bike at my first full stop as I forgot how tall it is. I can almost flat foot it but the height caught me off guard as I just came off the Road King. I took a secondary two lane with a lot of twisties back to the dealership. The bike handled very predictable to steering inputs (very neutral) and there was no drama as I wrung it out a bit on that road. Brakes worked very well and I didn't notice any excessive front fork diving the couple of times I pulled hard on the lever.

I didn't have time to play with the 3 position wind screen but turbulence behind the shield wasn't bad. One wouldn’t expect it to be as it's pretty tall. I didn't have issues with helmet buffeting.

Back at the dealership I had a little time to digest the limited time in the seat of the Pan America.

1. I don't like the exhaust note...at all. Not because it isn't loud or obnoxious enough but more because it almost sounds effeminate and puts off an exhaust note more like a single cylinder 250cc.

2. I don't like all of the metallic noises emitted by the motor...at all. I don't need the full on Harley rumble and shakes but I couldn't ride this bike day in and day out with that motor making those sounds. I'm convinced that's just how it is. Changing the oil to something thicker isn't going to make all that go away. Neither will a few thousand miles on the odometer. The exhaust note can be changed but that only goes so far. If you have issues with the noise (only way I can describe it) coming from the motor this may not be the bike for you.

3. Build quality appears high. seating is comfortable. Harley already is selling OEM aftermarket add-ons for the PA.

I'm left with the following impressions....I'm surprised at how good this first attempt by Harley at a large adventure bike is...the motor can get up and go...I'd be interested to see how this bike would perform with a DCT (something that HD is currently not offering and I believe they missed the mark on).

I really like the bike but am not planning on purchasing one.
 
Not a bad first stab at it Frulk. Thanks for that.

Metallic engine sounds, eh? That is something I will be listening for during my first encounter. A lot of cam valve chain action? I understand it is VVT, and with hydraulic lifters (remember those Honda?).
 
Thread starter
Gold...yes all of those contributed to the (in my estimation) excessive sound signature coming from the motor.

I forgot to mention one important thing I noticed. Engine braking on this bike is phenomenal. On the twisties I'd run up the RPMS and then let off the motor and roll through the curves in gear on what felt like a giant gyroscope. Best way I can describe it. Riders will have to experience it for themselves. For me that engine feedback was the best part of the test ride.
 
Back
Top