2018 Yamaha Bolt r-spec

SportsterDoc

Road warrior
Thread starter
Purchased June 2
Impact blue (same color/color name as my 2002 Sportster 1200 Sport)
734 miles, like new and with new belt, tires, fresh oil
Did 140 miles yesterday and then adjusted rear springs to softest setting
Torque rating is at only 3,000 RPM.
Replaced H4 with Auxito LED and license plate light with LED
Turn bulbs would be 1157 and 1156, but 3 bayonet pins, instead of 2...may be Yamaha only.
Turn signal relay has feed from VSS for auto cancel.
Display (clock, trip 1, trip 2, odo) selection from handlebar switch
Mileage thus far averaging 55 MPG (60+ along Lake Mead to Overton)

Air cooled V twin 942 cc
No immobilizer
No traction control
No ABS
About as simple as a fuel injected bike can get (yes, the XT250 is even simpler)
Going to North Rim of Grand Canyon Mon-Tue, 480 mile round trip.
 
Nice, congrats Doc. Post up a pic.

why did it get a new belt at 734 miles? They are supposed to go 50-60,000 miles I thought?
 
Thread starter
Not set up to post a pic, unless I email a forum member whose email address I have, such as PB.

Bought it from the same dealer as I bought CB1100 in 2017. No idea why a new belt or the tires but they also replaced the battery.

Figured belt was new because of the printing on the back side but I suppose it could be original.. it just looks new.

It is very much as new, but I did find a couple small spider webs under the frame. Definitely had been stored in shelter such as a garage.


.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Not set up to post a pic, unless I email a forum member whose email address I have, such as PB.

Bought it from the same dealer as I bought CB1100 in 2017. No idea why a new belt or the tires but they also replaced the battery.

Figured belt was new because of the printing on the back side but I suppose it could be original.. it just looks new.

It is very much as new, but I did find a couple small spider webs under the frame. Definitely had been stored in shelter such as a garage.


.
Congrats
Yap , email to me and I will post’em for you
 
Sounds good Doc. In the past I was curious about the Yamaha Bolt. These days when it comes to that class of bike, I tend to glance at the Honda Rebel 1100.

Yeah, share a snap!

RE drive belt: Maybe the belt was already cracking/dried out even without mileage??
 
Nice one, doc.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
Purchased June 2
Impact blue (same color/color name as my 2002 Sportster 1200 Sport)
734 miles, like new and with new belt, tires, fresh oil
Did 140 miles yesterday and then adjusted rear springs to softest setting
Torque rating is at only 3,000 RPM.
Replaced H4 with Auxito LED and license plate light with LED
Turn bulbs would be 1157 and 1156, but 3 bayonet pins, instead of 2...may be Yamaha only.
Turn signal relay has feed from VSS for auto cancel.
Display (clock, trip 1, trip 2, odo) selection from handlebar switch
Mileage thus far averaging 55 MPG (60+ along Lake Mead to Overton)

Air cooled V twin 942 cc
No immobilizer
No traction control
No ABS
About as simple as a fuel injected bike can get (yes, the XT250 is even simpler)
Going to North Rim of Grand Canyon Mon-Tue, 480 mile round trip.
Lovely blue :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thank you, Peter, for posting the photos.
Bottom photo is of my 2002 Sportster 1200 Sport in 2005...same color and other similarities.
I enjoyed Triumph #2, for almost 10,000 miles in 10 months, but after an issue with the only Triumph dealer in southern Nevada, decided not to keep it.
 
Thread starter
The issue was not the Street Twin, as build quality was excellent, as was my 2012 Bonneville.
The issue was the service department and should I have a warranty issue (2 year warranty) I did not want to deal further with them.

On a marginally necessary recall, the tech short-cutted the factory steps in the Triumph TSB for correction, resulting in a fuel leak. Same dealer where I bought my V7II and had words with owner for moving my Moto Guzzi for him to park his Jaguar in his favorite parking space.

The Street Twin averaged 61 MPG, cornered well and had good low end torque.

Service bulletin 589

Monitoring MPG beneficial
Sad note about selling the Street Twin was that I had just put new scrambler tires on it, as I had done for the CB1100, just before the eye issue.

Scrambler tires

T120 Rear Wheel Removal

Tire politics
 
Friend of mine has a 2013 or 2014 Bolt and he hasn't had any problems that he didn't cause himself! My only issue with that bike as a riding partner is the amount of miles that could be had on one tank. It was even worse than the CB!
 
Thread starter
In my 12 days of ownership I have traveled 805.6 miles (did not log first ~200) on 14.013 gallons = 57.5 average MPG. If possible to run 3.4 gallon tank dry, that would be 195.5 miles. 150 miles should be reasonable range.
The farthest between fuel stops in my riding has been on the extraterrestrial highway, between Ash Springs and Tonopah: 154 miles.

Miles Gallons MPG
59.1 1.137 52.0
61.4 1.008 60.9
46.9 0.881 53.2
122.9 2.202 55.8
79.5 1.544 51.5
99.8 1.784 55.9
89.2 1.417 62.9
101.9 1.652 61.7
87.7 1.413 62.1
57.2 0.975 58.7

805.6 14.013 57.5
I put a Dart Marlin fly-screen on my Moto Guzzi V7II, CB1100 and Triumph Street Twin.
No inclination to do so on the Bolt.
The low seat puts wind above my shoulders.
Coming down highway 89 from Utah 14 to Jacob Lake, we had headwinds/winds from 2 oclock gusting to 48 MPH.
I could feel some buffeting, but not uncomfortable and the bike was VERY stable.
After 77 miles of that, went to North Rim, Point Imperial and back to Jacob Lake (110 miles) for a total of ~400 miles yesterday...624 miles total trip, Mon-Tue.
 
Not sure if they changed something between his year model and yours, but his low fuel light comes on around 90 miles in.
 
Thread starter
The Bolt is serving well for longer trips

Last week was Bryce Canyon (417 miles day 1, 583 total)
 
My wife and I have ridden thru Bryce Canyon. Absolutely stunning place to ride a motorcycle.

Where's the crowds? lol
 
Thread starter
It works well to go all the way south to Rainbow Point, then work back, as then all viewing is on the right.

Cedar Breaks is a smaller version of the same, but at even higher elevation (10,300 feet)

These views are from Sunset Point, left, center and right
 
It’s so good you’re back on two wheels, Doc.
 
Thread starter
When I bought the Bolt (XVS950), I was looking for a XT250...something a grandson can inherit without triple digit top speed...and we can work on together.

Found one in Kingman, Arizona. On Nov 5, I rode the Bolt to Kingman and traded it on the XT250.
4923 miles on the Bolt in 5 months, 3 days.

120 miles to Kingman from home, but took a longer route back (150 miles), going up Stockton Hill from Kingman and through Dolan Springs to avoid Highway 95 for lower speed run-in on the XT250.

900+ miles on the XT250 now (actually 0 on the odometer when I bought it).

The XT250 is now well run-in. Seen 84 MPH (9,400 RPM) on the speedo a few times, which appears to be the rev limiter. True speed may have been only ~76 MPH.

Good for about 65 MPH (7,150 RPM) uphill against wind, without WOT.
Rated 19 HP at 7,500 RPM.
Averaging 70 MPG (rated 76 MPG).
2.6 gallon tank (non-California).
EFI even simpler than the Bolt.

Stock, other than:
LED turns, tail/stop and headlight (Auxito H4 replacement)
Iridium spark plug
Apache 1800 (Harbor Freight) case mounted on left side, opposite muffler.

No more long trips expected, but I still have the freedom of having a M/C.
Corn Creek is only a 44 mile round trip.
 
Back
Top