2018 Bonnie Speedmaster

kvdv_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
This isn't the first time we'll have discussed this bike. I must admit I'm being pulled in like a tractor beam, my friends. I almost can't believe how perfectly Triumph has captured here my decades-long dream of what a proper motorcycle should look like. Unless I discover something about it I absolutely can't live with, my 2014 DLX may be up for sale soon to make room. I may have to figure out how to tour with less luggage, but that might not be a bad thing. I'll keep y'all posted as to how this turns out...

657c86ac1e82689aabc567a9820941b0.jpg
 
I dunno, kvdv, for me it’s pretty, but it can’t quite knock the DLX off the perch in the beauty competition. However, I won’t be buying one, so it doesn’t really matter.

Good luck. We’ll look forward to hearing lots more about it.
 
That kind of look is a bit on the chunky side for me, but I can understand the appeal. It's got that late 50's/early 60's (?) kind of vibe to it that's been popular with a lot of folks lately. I would add that Triumph executed this look nicely.
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I am in no way a cruiser guy, never have been, can't say that i ever will, but that's a good looking moto.
I hear what you're saying. The "cruiser thing" has me second guessing myself a little. On the other hand, I actually did ride a cruiser when I first started riding again after a 15 year hiatus (2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900), and I will say that other than the terrible seat, I enjoyed that bike immensely. My least favorite bike ever, strictly from a fit and comfort standpoint, was a 2007 FJR. An engineering marvel yes, but way too much for me. Was always on the verge of dropping it, which I did twice. Went from that to my beloved 2007 Bonnie T100, my favorite bike ever and which seemed custom made just for me and looked great (which matters more to me than perhaps it should). I respect the heck out the DLX I have, always imagined it as a T100 on steroids, but I have always been a little less in love with it than the T100, and it's nowhere near as easy to ride as either the Bonnie or the old Vulcan was. Now Triumph is tempting me with that British styling I love mixed with a build that should be nearly effortless to ride - low seat, low center of gravity, good stuff.
I have the privilege of being able to rip around on my wife's 2015 Scout now and then (Holy God does that thing just about rip your arms out of their sockets!!), and I have to say that even though I'm fully aware of the advantages the upright riding position on CB1100 or T100, the cruiser-style forward controls don't bother me. I think the only things I'm concerned about with this new Speedmaster are: seat comfort (can always have it rebuilt for me at Rich's...he worked magic on the DLX seat!), cornering clearance (but I'm ok with slowing down a bit, too old to be in a hurry anymore!), and maybe luggage space (but I've consistently packed way more than I need on trips anyway). We shall see. Whatever happens, I'll always keep checking in here; this is the best forum group ever. Oh yeah..one other concern...Triumph hasn't announced the pricing yet either. If it's way too high, that might change things a bit :)
 
When I look at this bike the first word that comes to mind is "Bobber" (not cruiser) That look is big with quite a few of the hipsters these days, which usually tends to mean a recreation of something that appeals to us older guys, lol. I totally get it kvdv — you should definitely go for what you like, that's how so many of us ended up with the CB1100. If this bike presses more of your buttons than the CB1100 does then that's the bike you should get. I hope it works out for you.
 
It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that. Good on you, kvdv. Looks like a blast!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that. Good on you, kvdv. Looks like a blast!
Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.
 
Pretty sure that my wife is going to like this bike when she sees it at the bike show next month. Could be just the bike for her - the ergos look better for her than her CTX and it can be set up nicely for touring. We'll see what February brings.
 
Guth_imp said:
When I look at this bike the first word that comes to mind is "Bobber" (not cruiser) That look is big with quite a few of the hipsters these days, which usually tends to mean a recreation of something that appeals to us older guys, lol. I totally get it kvdv — you should definitely go for what you like, that's how so many of us ended up with the CB1100. If this bike presses more of your buttons than the CB1100 does then that's the bike you should get. I hope it works out for you.
The speed aster is actually the bobber but with a different rear
 
Ooops, sorry — I meant "Bobber" as in a specific style of motorcycle as opposed to a model name. I actually didn't know that Triumph made a bike specifically called the Bobber.
 
Guth_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that. Good on you, kvdv. Looks like a blast!
Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.
Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.
I wish I’d said these things.
 
I'm attracted to both the Bobber and the Speedmaster. But luckily I think my inseam will keep it out of my fleet. Other bikes I look at are all over the spectrum, but the Africa Twin makes the most sense.
 
Well, there was a snow storm the day before and day of (and actually the day after) the Chicago motorcycle show. One of the Triumph trucks could not get to the show on Friday so we did not get to see the Speedmaster in person. I'm hoping to stop by a dealer on Saturday, if Cheryl is up for it, to see if she fits on it. Really like the look of this bike and she does, too.
 
$13k and change. I don't think that's out of the question for this bike. It does seem to have a lot going for it. From what I've read it's well put together.
 
Guth_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that. Good on you, kvdv. Looks like a blast!
Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.
Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.
Call me shallow, but except for dedicated purpose machines (dirt/track/even ADV) looks matter most to me. It's the single biggest attraction for the CB, and outweighs most of the perceived performance demerits. I'm not a cruiser guy, but the Speedmaster really is a beautiful bike. I believe the forward controls can be swapped for the Bobber's mid controls, which would make it far more appealing to me.
 
Let's all be honest here. Looks are the first thing we go by. Just as in women. You see one that is intriguing and you are drawn towards it. I don't think it makes us shallow at all. You see something first then get to know it.

I suppose their are those that read all the specs for bikes as they come out. I have never been this way. I enjoy motorcycles but don't need to know all the models and the subsequent stat sheets. If it looks good I'll investigate further. A prime example of that are my 2 current running bikes. Triumph T-100 and The CB. I believe I have exceptional taste. :D

And the Speedmaster is a good looking ride, even if not my usual style of bike.
 
Thread starter
Well, it happened, my friends. Rode the new Speedmaster home yesterday after trading in my DLX with mixed emotions. Hard to see it go, but too excited about being back on a Triumph again to let it stop me in the end. I blame (give thanks to) Stichill for this whole thing...had he not posted the first press photo here months ago, I'm not sure this would have ever happened.
I rode this beauty home yesterday. Quite a different experience from the ultra-refined almost electric bike feel of the DLX. In comparison, it rumbles and shakes and roars like some primitive beast (no need to even think about after-market pipes on this thing), yet handles beautifully and the ergos are more suitable for me than I was ever able to get the DLX to.
I plan to stick around on this forum of course, and hopefully hit the West Coast rally again this year. This is a fine group of folks here and y'all haven't seen or heard the last of me.

f8645d6539f1758e49a0d75eef7853f2.jpg
 
Congrats, she's gorgeous. Glad you are sticking around. How else would we get to see pics and read ride reports of that beauty.
 
Back
Top