2017 RS dyno result

itstuantran_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Look like the specs specified by Honda was not aligned with what has been dynoed or the way power measured is different! I did not have chance to have the stock setup dynoed but for sure it's way lower than the number publicized by the manufacturer

Mine is 2017 RS with Motogear header (Cat free) and BMS R-evo muffler, K&N air filter, TSR air intake, ZFI Bazzaz...
First dyno without tuning:87,9HP
2nd dyno with tuning: 89.5HP

Still not removing speed limiter so it stops at 180km/h

Attached graph of HP & AF for your ref

933462838634d1044aa7f6711c6dccc2.jpg
 
Manufacturers measure horsepower at the crankshaft, which does not include losses from the rest of the drive train. The dyno measures power at the rear wheel, which does include the losses from the drive train. As such, a dyno run will usually produce lower numbers than those published by the manufacturer.

I've seen several dyno charts for the stock bike and they averaged around 82-83hp peak power at around 7,300 rpm.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Flyrinder, good info on stock power. So with the new gears, around 8hp gain over stock.

Flynrider_imp said:
Manufacturers measure horsepower at the crankshaft, which does not include losses from the rest of the drive train. The dyno measures power at the rear wheel, which does include the losses from the drive train. As such, a dyno run will usually produce lower numbers than those published by the manufacturer.

I've seen several dyno charts for the stock bike and they averaged around 82-83hp peak power at around 7,300 rpm.
 
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
 
Thread starter
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
 
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
 
Thread starter
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

 
Thread starter
Unfortunately the tech guy could not get the signal for torque, i'm also excited to see those too. In fact, i can tell a significant pull from 3k RPM and above compared to stock
HellFishTat_imp said:
did you get torque #'s? I'd be interested in seeing those.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality, to be exact, this is the air intake funnel i have on my CB1100RS, it's not TSR, sorry for the mistake: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB11...High-Flow-Bell-Mouth-Air-Intake-/122773390773

For Bazzaz ZFI, i'm not sure it's correct but it has 2 O2 sensor eliminators included, could be same for CB1100 2014 EX as it also has dual exhaust

misterprofessionality_imp said:
itstuantran: which TSR intake parts did you use? one or both of these:

https://www.samurider.com/?p=16803

https://www.samurider.com/?p=16781

and this is the fuel management you installed, correct?

https://express.google.com/u/0/prod...p;utm_medium=product_ads&utm_campaign=gsx
 
itstuantran_imp said:
Unfortunately the tech guy could not get the signal for torque, i'm also excited to see those too. In fact, i can tell a significant pull from 3k RPM and above compared to stock
HellFishTat_imp said:
did you get torque #'s? I'd be interested in seeing those.
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
 
Thread starter
"How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?"

I'm not an expert to explain you on how the K&N perform better than stock but this is what most often a mod and also, it's a recommendation from the dyno tech guy. I believe after market stuff from well known manufacturer such as K&N has its own value over stock, which could be verified or proved by expert only :). My personal opinion :)

jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
Unfortunately the tech guy could not get the signal for torque, i'm also excited to see those too. In fact, i can tell a significant pull from 3k RPM and above compared to stock
HellFishTat_imp said:
did you get torque #'s? I'd be interested in seeing those.
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
 
itstuantran_imp said:
"How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?"

I'm not an expert to explain you on how the K&N perform better than stock but this is what most often a mod and also, it's a recommendation from the dyno tech guy. I believe after market stuff from well known manufacturer such as K&N has its own value over stock, which could be verified or proved by expert only :). My personal opinion :)

jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
Unfortunately the tech guy could not get the signal for torque, i'm also excited to see those too. In fact, i can tell a significant pull from 3k RPM and above compared to stock
HellFishTat_imp said:
did you get torque #'s? I'd be interested in seeing those.
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
I have tried K&N on a car (1.8 140HP stock) and couldn't feel a thing appart form the sound (and that that I saved some € on regular maintainance at the cost of cleaning/oiling the K&N :D)

More opinions:
Report on K&N Filters

K&N is well known, yes, but I don't think that makes a difference.

[edit:]
Air box mod save $$$
 
Check my math, it wasn't my best subject.

Calculating torque and hp
If we know an engine's torque in foot pounds, and the rpm at which it was measured, we can calculate hp.

It would seem if we already know engine hp and the rpm at which it was measured, we can calculate torque in foot pounds.

HP Calculation
RPM x Torque (ft/lb)
----------------------- = HP
5252

Torque Calculation
HP
---- X 5252 = Torque (ft/lb)
RPM

I used hypothetical to test hp formula (7000rpm x 66 ft/lb torque divided by 5252)
Answer = 87.96 hp

torque hypothetical (87.96 hp divided by 7000 rpm x 5252) Answer = 65.99 ft/lb torque

(Where are the engine rpm's shown on your Dyno graphs?)
 
Thread starter
Cool, thanks ohiorider, that's true, i've seen the math but did not think of it.
66ft-lb= 89.48398Nm

ohiorider_imp said:
Check my math, it wasn't my best subject.

Calculating torque and hp
If we know an engine's torque in foot pounds, and the rpm at which it was measured, we can calculate hp.

It would seem if we already know engine hp and the rpm at which it was measured, we can calculate torque in foot pounds.

HP Calculation
RPM x Torque (ft/lb)
----------------------- = HP
5252

Torque Calculation
HP
---- X 5252 = Torque (ft/lb)
RPM

I used hypothetical to test hp formula (7000rpm x 66 ft/lb torque divided by 5252)
Answer = 87.96 hp

torque hypothetical (87.96 hp divided by 7000 rpm x 5252) Answer = 65.99 ft/lb torque

(Where are the engine rpm's shown on your Dyno graphs?)
I think K&N filter or other after market air filter is one of the mod components (Air/Fuel, ignition/spark plug/coil and exhaust), alone, it makes no sense :)


jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
"How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?"

I'm not an expert to explain you on how the K&N perform better than stock but this is what most often a mod and also, it's a recommendation from the dyno tech guy. I believe after market stuff from well known manufacturer such as K&N has its own value over stock, which could be verified or proved by expert only :). My personal opinion :)

jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
Unfortunately the tech guy could not get the signal for torque, i'm also excited to see those too. In fact, i can tell a significant pull from 3k RPM and above compared to stock
HellFishTat_imp said:
did you get torque #'s? I'd be interested in seeing those.
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
I thought all dynos measured torque, and from it and rpm, they calculated power. So they don't measure power, but calculate it.

I guess this depends on the dyno.
itstuantran_imp said:
Yup, it should be apple to apple for better comparison but i did not have chance to do that. For actual performance, it's quite a clear response in all RPM range as i'm using it to commute daily so the response felt quite clear.

By removing the stock dual exhaust, which weighted 15 kg and replaced by full titanium system with 6 kg, a net save of 9 kg will definitely boost the performance, not mentioning to and free cat header will help boost much better, K&N air filter and TSR air intake, cooped with bazzaz tuning, it really transformed the bike :). It's not the guess only :D
jtopiso_imp said:
itstuantran_imp said:
As Flyrider mentioned he saw several graphs of stock dynos around 82 - 83Hp.

jtopiso_imp said:
It would be nice to test the bike from stock with no mods. Otherwise, we can only guess!

How do you know your intake performs better than stock?
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing.
Yes, but you need to compare apples to apples (same dyno) or you'll be just guessing. and the dynoed video

How do you know that the K&N performs any better than stock?

I agree that we can tell that a lighter bike will perform better, but the other stuff... I have my doubts. Maybe with the K&N it "feels" different, sounds different, but I remain skeptical
I have tried K&N on a car (1.8 140HP stock) and couldn't feel a thing appart form the sound (and that that I saved some € on regular maintainance at the cost of cleaning/oiling the K&N :D)

More opinions:
Report on K&N Filters

K&N is well known, yes, but I don't think that makes a difference.

[edit:]
Air box mod save $$$
I have tried K&N on a car (1.8 140HP stock) and couldn't feel a thing appart form the sound (and that that I saved some € on regular maintainance at the cost of cleaning/oiling the K&N :D)

More opinions:
Report on K&N Filters

K&N is well known, yes, but I don't think that makes a difference.

[edit:]
Air box mod save $$$
 
My two cents (and it's not worth that): If K&N filters were so effective, every vehicle would come with one from the manufacturer. Manufacturers expend a lot of time and money trying to achieve maximum engine performance, with the advertising claims and bragging rights that follow. Why aren't they using them?
 
Back
Top