2017 Honda CB1100EX modifications

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
Since I traded a 2013 CB1100 in on the new EX I have a few modifications that were removed to use on the 2017. I am starting with checking compatibility of the old parts at first.

First up was the Corbin seat. Fits perfectly with a small gap at the tank. Barely noticeable unless you know to look. The wide seat actually matches the lines of the 2017 better than the 2013.
796dee53095a42b8f071d5333e0f989e.jpg

1ba0c837987cbf9904ea24b0ece80d49.jpg

7dfb48533f4e94cb771a086a1458d49c.jpg

a57fbfeeff5f5ed90d1d0a6eb798c455.jpg


Second the Emgo Venom fairing. I have only placed it on the headlight bucket without installing bolts so far but the fit looks better than the 2013. With no trimming needed. I may but down a new one since I trimmed this one to fit a 2013.
ae9ce15422f87d8a88b4a9b9682297e1.jpg

4e799d39baef657ca12a8c92af5f756d.jpg

Next up the license plate bracket. I have a metalmaven license plate bracket that was used on my 2013 but found it would not be the best fit for the 2017. First it needs spacers to move away from the taillight housing. Then there is a third bolt hole in the lower fender to deal with that is not covered by the bracket. My solution is to make a new plate with the three mounting bolt holes.
edd519e0795fab223b57bc580d0a25f4.jpg
5a496d88197cc91f2f86e96b1896b3c2.jpg
8b0b6c8dfc218e31e72b330269821aa8.jpg
1cf1bea4361930f13c3cb3ce597f7e4a.jpg
6452c2cc0dafabb27b1469c2b9430db1.jpg
4f6925c5423e41dc225c83d52aeff35f.jpg
0d468e9daf38c06cdd4b8bdba3f11378.jpg
e59d70ae350f74d0e06a42a08231d4ea.jpg
 
The small gap from seat to tank looks just right to keep seat from rubbing tank paint.

Nice job on counter sinking the license mounting plate.
Your pattern looks the same as what I did, other than I mounted it higher, loosing all 3 reflectors, showing more rear fender.
Was lucky enough to find mirror finish stainless steel, so the back side of the mounting plate looks chrome.
LongRanger_imp said:
Looks great! Please enlighten me on the reason for modifying the license plate bracket.
Appearance
PM your email if you want pics of mine.
 
Gotcha, thanks. It looks like it'll leave a visible hole (and grommet!) at the lower edge of the fender. Looking forward to seeing the final results!
 
kennyw_imp said:
Since I traded a 2013 CB1100 in on the new EX I have a few modifications that were removed to use on the 2017. I am starting with checking compatibility of the old parts at first.

First up was the Corbin seat. Fits perfectly with a small gap at the tank. Barely noticeable unless you know to look. The wide seat actually matches the lines of the 2017 better than the 2013.
796dee53095a42b8f071d5333e0f989e.jpg

1ba0c837987cbf9904ea24b0ece80d49.jpg

7dfb48533f4e94cb771a086a1458d49c.jpg

a57fbfeeff5f5ed90d1d0a6eb798c455.jpg


Second the Emgo Venom fairing. I have only placed it on the headlight bucket without installing bolts so far but the fit looks better than the 2013. With no trimming needed. I may but down a new one since I trimmed this one to fit a 2013.
ae9ce15422f87d8a88b4a9b9682297e1.jpg

4e799d39baef657ca12a8c92af5f756d.jpg

Next up the license plate bracket. I have a metalmaven license plate bracket that was used on my 2013 but found it would not be the best fit for the 2017. First it needs spacers to move away from the taillight housing. Then there is a third bolt hole in the lower fender to deal with that is not covered by the bracket. My solution is to make a new plate with the three mounting bolt holes.
edd519e0795fab223b57bc580d0a25f4.jpg
5a496d88197cc91f2f86e96b1896b3c2.jpg
8b0b6c8dfc218e31e72b330269821aa8.jpg
1cf1bea4361930f13c3cb3ce597f7e4a.jpg
6452c2cc0dafabb27b1469c2b9430db1.jpg
4f6925c5423e41dc225c83d52aeff35f.jpg
0d468e9daf38c06cdd4b8bdba3f11378.jpg
e59d70ae350f74d0e06a42a08231d4ea.jpg
I ran into the same type thing...thanks for the photos and dimensions!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Gotcha, thanks. It looks like it'll leave a visible hole (and grommet!) at the lower edge of the fender. Looking forward to seeing the final results!
Interesting, as my 2014 has a two bolt (6 mm) bracket with third point rubber "bumper" on the bracket.
 
Thread starter
The bracket I have installed is for the 2013/14. The sketch I made will move the plate down and cover the bottom hole. I just need to get one made and test fit for verification.
 
Thread starter
I finished mounting the fairing and added usb power to the phone mount. The fairing looks like it was made for this bike. No issues mounting it other than using longer bolts than stock. I also added a washer in between the fairing and headlight bracket to fill the recess for the factory bolt head. Otherwise the fairing plastic would bend into that recess.
7fed33dd4f6d3cc6492a0f19e3a5d0c9.jpg
1952914b6cbd551e2fe47c9445b8a00d.jpg
46366c593223244685b9ce79efab5bf0.jpg
 
Looking good Kenny. Does that phone/GPS holder impede your access to the ignition key?

Edit: ahh I see now that it is off to the right. I thought it was in the center.
 
Thread starter
I had it mounted closer to the center on the 2013 but angled to the right. No problems accessing the key with either hand.
 
Know this is an older thread getting revived, but would love to know how the license plate mounting worked out. I'm looking to do the same on my EX.

Thanks!
 
I also did something similar to the rear plate on my '13. When I gave the bike a close inspection once I got it home, there were pairs of holes in the license plate. Forensically, I could tell that the original owner wanted to eliminate the plate/reflector mounting gobbledeegook, but rather than make a backing plate with spacers and holes placed to line it up to cover the rubber bumper in the middle of the fender, he just drilled and screwed the plate directly to the taillight base. He put it all back to stock when he sold it.

I just got a chrome license backing plate, put new holes through that, and spaced it out away from the taillight base with hardware from Ikea. (Pre-Covid, Ikea had a wonderful huge chest of drawers in the lobby with bits of funky hardware from all of their furniture pieces, so if you lost a screw, spacer, etc, you could rummage through it to find a replacement. I found many bits that are handy on motorcycles as well). Then, I just mounted my license to the backing plate, and it looks clean and simple. (I also turned in my drilled-up original plate and got a replacement... my OCD can't have a license plate with random holes in it.)
 
The big trend here in CA is to have custom plates made on Etsy or Amazon in colors that match the car. So... putting a red plate made on Etsy on your red car as your official documentation of your state registration, rather than the state-issued license plate. By the book, according to someone I spoke with at DMV, the penalty for putting a counterfeit plate on a car is impounding of the car and arrest of the driver. But so far, I've only heard about people getting tickets for it... and the drivers are offended for getting them.
 
Front and rear plate in California?

If the state department of motorized vehicles allows any willy nilly plate on vehicles, then where is the accountability? Many humans, as we well know, can't be trusted to manage themselves among civil society.

Example:

* I am dood,
* Drives a Su-ba-ru,
* Anti-es-ta-blish-ment,
* No im-pri-son-ment,
* Wha-iz-yours,
* Now iz mine,
* You no look at me,
* Or you will not be.

I see totally flat-blacked out plates, perhaps with a wee bit of sparkle in the paint.
 
Yup, we run front and rear, now that all tolling is camera-based.
The state doesn't allow it, I'm pretty sure that it's a function of law enforcement lacking the time and resources to do much more than issue tickets to yuppies in Teslas and flat-billers in brodozers complaining "Do you know how much I spent on this Etsy license plate?"
 
When I arrived in England a few years back, I was surprised to discover that they issue a number and you are responsible for going to a non-government supplier who makes your plate with the number on it. Of course, it is the standard yellow with black letters.
Most places I've been, including Mexico, Japan and Korea, have state-issued number plates.
 
You can add Australia to your list of countries where states issue license plates, Nachodaddy.
 
Appreciate the responses! I did find some similar threads via search too, but all specific to the '13/'14 bikes. Was curious on this one specifically since I'm also on a '17 EX.

I already picked up some aluminum stock to fab up something, just curious on how it looks covering that 3rd lower hole.

As a side note, I also can't stand how much larger the tail light housing is on the newer bikes. Sticks out so much further than it needs to. Also a two piece construction, and mine rattles an insane amount despite tightening the screws. I'll need to open it up and look into maybe some washers or something to secure it better.
 
FlipModeOne_imp said:
Appreciate the responses! I did find some similar threads via search too, but all specific to the '13/'14 bikes. Was curious on this one specifically since I'm also on a '17 EX.

I already picked up some aluminum stock to fab up something, just curious on how it looks covering that 3rd lower hole.

As a side note, I also can't stand how much larger the tail light housing is on the newer bikes. Sticks out so much further than it needs to. Also a two piece construction, and mine rattles an insane amount despite tightening the screws. I'll need to open it up and look into maybe some washers or something to secure it better.
RE: tail light housing:

CB1100 Forum

post #8, but others as well.
Before you do what I suggested in post #8, read that thread to the end, at least the posts regarding the tail light housing. Forum member VLJ had quite the ordeal and maybe that will help you decide whether it's worth it.
 
Back
Top