2017 Honda CB1100 EX MSRP

Ulvetanna_imp said:
jerrycon_imp said:
I figure the MSRP on the new bike is pretty much irrelevant. If you have the patience to wait a year or two, you will be rewarded with hefty discounts. This we have learned about the CB1100.
Oh boy, that's harsh! And true. I'm going to be taking a gigantic bath if I do sell '13 Standard, I paid full pop. But we'll see. Don't really have to sell it. Only problem with that bike is it reminds of this forum every time I look at it, which raises my blood pressure. Somebody said I should join the Triumph forum, no way. I got that bike to lower my blood pressure and so far it's working.
If this forum raises your BP, you don't spend enough time in internet fora. If you're into firearms, visit GlockTalk and take a peek. It's savage.
Capo_imp said:
As a proud owner of both, I don't feel any cooler on either. It would take more than a Motorcycle to make me look cool!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was cool even before I had my CB... At least as cool as my wife will allow... :D
 
Re: the question of MSRP, my guess is about $11K but it is just a swag based on the MSRP I paid for my deluxe. Re: the question of would I upgrade to the new one? This one has a more modern tank and has spokes relative to my deluxe. Meh, ok. The spokes look good but I worry about maintenance (I have a vague memory of taking a lot of time polishing each spoke as a teenager) and I think I prefer the strong retro look of the current tank versus the new one. Now if they did away with the unbalanced timing and the engine were smooth as glass... that's another story. I'd probably just try to see if it was possible to buy the new cams and reprogram the fuel injection to "upgrade" my deluxe. Yeah... I'm still stuck on that darn cam thing.
 
I don't have much confidence in my prediction, but my best guess is that it'll be just slightly higher than the '14 DLX MSRP.

More expensive features already mentioned (i.e. clutch, tank, wheels and don't forget the side covers) would seem to add to the price, yet the strength of the dollar vs. yen is up over 15% since 2014. That's a pretty substantial difference. I'm thinking that the new features vs. the currency difference may be a wash as far as MSRP is concerned.
 
Honda has missed the price mark recently with a few bikes (VFRs).... Although the CB has quite a few intangibles that affect its market value more than other Honda models, I'm still wondering if price point wasn't a factor in low sales for the '13 & '14.

I think $11,999 is the magic number for the EX.
 
Flytech99_imp said:
Honda has missed the price mark recently with a few bikes (VFRs).... Although the CB has quite a few intangibles that affect its market value more than other Honda models, I'm still wondering if price point wasn't a factor in low sales for the '13 & '14.

I think $11,999 is the magic number for the EX.
Agreed. Honda is such a powerhouse and it boggles the mind that they've missed on a few bikes over the past few years. The VFR1200 is beautifully engineered motorcycle art in motion and totally underrated. They're selling for cheap now.
Back to this posts original question, I think Honda seriously needs to examine their go to market price point strategy because if it's too high they risk having poor sales off the show room and the secondary market price will be driven lower. It can be perceieved as "not worth it" especially considering all the competition and alternatives consumers have. I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the VFR1200.
Wishful thinking but under 10K and they'd sell like hot cakes.
 
Flytech99_imp said:
Honda has missed the price mark recently with a few bikes (VFRs).... Although the CB has quite a few intangibles that affect its market value more than other Honda models, I'm still wondering if price point wasn't a factor in low sales for the '13 & '14.

I think $11,999 is the magic number for the EX.
Once upon a time I was a bike salesman at the shop where I got my 2014. A year or so ago I was in there and asked the sales manager his thoughts on why the CB didn't sell in greater numbers. His observation was that the target audience generally wanted the bike for around 7500 and many passed because they couldn't get it new for that.
 
CB1100DLX_imp said:
Flytech99_imp said:
Honda has missed the price mark recently with a few bikes (VFRs).... Although the CB has quite a few intangibles that affect its market value more than other Honda models, I'm still wondering if price point wasn't a factor in low sales for the '13 & '14.

I think $11,999 is the magic number for the EX.
Agreed. Honda is such a powerhouse and it boggles the mind that they've missed on a few bikes over the past few years. The VFR1200 is beautifully engineered motorcycle art in motion and totally underrated. They're selling for cheap now.
Back to this posts original question, I think Honda seriously needs to examine their go to market price point strategy because if it's too high they risk having poor sales off the show room and the secondary market price will be driven lower. It can be perceieved as "not worth it" especially considering all the competition and alternatives consumers have. I hope it doesn't suffer the same fate as the VFR1200.
Wishful thinking but under 10K and they'd sell like hot cakes.
So true, and the bike was definitely over-priced from the get-go, especially the DCT variant. What a great sport-tourer the VFR1200F could have been...but the poor range doomed it in that role for most people and became the primary reason for the heavy discounting I think. 4.1 gallons @ 36 miles per (US) gallon = 147 miles to empty. Leaving 0.7 (US) gallon as reserve chops off 25 miles, so you'd need to start looking for gas every 122 miles or so. Not a big issue around town but on a road trip it's a no-go.
 
The VFRs and the CB1100 have never had any direct competition from the other Japanese manufacturers so I'm guessing Honda has tried to dictate their own niche market value for these bikes. The T120 and the new R Nine T Pure will be the EX's closest competition so pricing it around the $12K is rational but probably will still hinder volume sales improvement.

If the retro 900 Kawasaki that was promised next year ever materializes, then it will be interesting to see how it's pricing and availability affect what Honda does with the CB.
 
MM300_imp said:
If Kawasaki brought a CB1100 analogue to the US I think I'd end up with two bikes.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I was a Kawasaki kid, my first road bike being a 500 triple, first enduro a 125. I owned a sweet ZRX1200 and sold it, and regret it. I'd be all over a new Kaw retro sport number.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread is cracking me up..

It will more than likely be more than the last deluxe.. So, IMHO it's price at least new is going to deter anyone/everyone who isn't looking for a retro standard..

Let's face it, the cb1100 is a cult/niche bike.

One can say its worth the price, but there is a lot one can buy for the same price.. That said, as I'm here, I own one. Also, as a previous owner of several cult bikes, who has regretted parting with em. I plan on keeping this one indefinitely. Whether or not it's cooler is subjective. So maybe it doesn't have the cf (cool factor) of some others, but the fact that it's a Honda and has a reputation or reliability was worth it to me...

Will I get trade in my 13 for a 17.. No. I've done a bunch of customization to get mine where I want it. That said, I have more than one bike. It's not out of the realm of possibilities I'll add another. That way I could go a bit more extreme on the 13.

All in all. I'm glad Honda is keeping it in the line up
 
Capo_imp said:
MM300_imp said:
If Kawasaki brought a CB1100 analogue to the US I think I'd end up with two bikes.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I was a Kawasaki kid, my first road bike being a 500 triple, first enduro a 125. I owned a sweet ZRX1200 and sold it, and regret it. I'd be all over a new Kaw retro sport number.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1100 and two 1200's here. I think the ZRX was the best all around bike I ever owned.
 
So, the target demographic for the CB is all old, cheap guys? !

Another thought.. How many of us here bought our CBs used? I always buy a bike that's 1 or maybe 2 years from new. That way, I still get what I want and get it for 30% off MSRP. A lot better than paying 11 or 12 grand. That is, if you can wait a bit.
 
I bought my DLX used, but only because I couldn't locate a new one. I would have preferred to buy new, and would have gladly paid up for one, just so I could avoid yanking off the aftermarket stuff. Plus, I miss not having warning decals on my tank.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
So, the target demographic for the CB is all old, cheap guys? !

Another thought.. How many of us here bought our CBs used? I always buy a bike that's 1 or maybe 2 years from new. That way, I still get what I want and get it for 30% off MSRP. A lot better than paying 11 or 12 grand. That is, if you can wait a bit.
Lol yes basically!
 
MM300_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
MM300_imp said:
If Kawasaki brought a CB1100 analogue to the US I think I'd end up with two bikes.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I was a Kawasaki kid, my first road bike being a 500 triple, first enduro a 125. I owned a sweet ZRX1200 and sold it, and regret it. I'd be all over a new Kaw retro sport number.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1100 and two 1200's here. I think the ZRX was the best all around bike I ever owned.
1100 and two 1200's here. I think the ZRX was the best all around bike I ever owned. I also miss my ZRX1200.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
So, the target demographic for the CB is all old, cheap guys? !

Another thought.. How many of us here bought our CBs used? I always buy a bike that's 1 or maybe 2 years from new. That way, I still get what I want and get it for 30% off MSRP. A lot better than paying 11 or 12 grand. That is, if you can wait a bit.
My general MO as well, you can't beat a well- loved, three year old lo- mileage bike. But I traded the haunted Griso in, and got a good deal on both ends, so it worked out. Buying a new leftover CB now is just like buying a used one, they're so cheap!
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I bought my DLX used, but only because I couldn't locate a new one. I would have preferred to buy new, and would have gladly paid up for one, just so I could avoid yanking off the aftermarket stuff. Plus, I miss not having warning decals on my tank.
I'm sure you can buy them. Try here.
 
Yes, you can order them on-line or at your dealer.
 
Back
Top