2017 Honda CB1100 EX MSRP

clearviewx

Been there
Thread starter
I know the MSRP for the 2017 Honda CB1100 EX will not be released until after Jan 1, 2017. Do Forum members think it will be more than the 2014 Honda CB1100 DLX ($11,899.00) or less? I'm leaning towards it being a slight increase in price. :idea:
 
I'm guessing $500 higher to cover some of the new niceties (slipper/assist clutch, LED lighting, seamless tank, wire wheels, etc.).
 
Thread starter
Hopefully they will have a better selection of accessories for the EX
 
Anyone here planning on trading up or buying one? With all the upgrades I think it will be more than $500. The Standard was $9999 in 2013, and the Deluxe was $1900 more. We're getting into some decent coin now. But I saw yesterday a red Thruxton pretty deeply discounted. Triumph missed the boat on that one but hit the mark with the Street Cup. They put 4,000 bucks worth of stuff on the bike, like Ohlins and Brembo and whatnot, and still are only getting 97 horsepower, the same as the four-year-old FZ8 I traded in on my Street Cup There is just some point where it's not worth it to overly "upcharge" for stuff.

On the other hand, the Thruxton and T120 are still cooler bikes than the CB1100, which is the point here. If someone looks at the 2017 CB1100, and then shops the nearest competition, they're gonna be looking at a T120 which makes about the same power, more torque, is 25 pounds lighter, and, with a discount, can be had for the same money. Or they could upcharge to the basic Thruxton, which is about 65 pounds lighter, makes a lot more power and torque, and is a much more capable motorcycle in every measurable way in terms of outright performance.

The new Triumphs are a formidable opponent when it comes to sport heritage motorcycles.
 
I would think at least $1k more but the dollar is significantly stronger than 2013 so it could be the same or less.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I'm not.

I traded out of my 2013 Thruxton for the CB. I'd had a '12 T100 prior to that. I spent my first 10 years of riding on HD big bikes followed by 10 years of sport bikes. The Triumphs were way nice bikes but they always felt just a little too small to me. And I'm not a large person at 5-6. On the highway I always felt like I was riding a Moped. I also wanted to get off of spokes. This after I was blasting down the road to work one morning, arrived, parked, went in, came back out a little later and my back tire was flat. That would have been just great at 90 on the highway.
 
MM300_imp said:
I'm not.

I traded out of my 2013 Thruxton for the CB. I'd had a '12 T100 prior to that. I spent my first 10 years of riding on HD big bikes followed by 10 years of sport bikes. The Triumphs were way nice bikes but they always felt just a little too small to me. And I'm not a large person at 5-6. On the highway I always felt like I was riding a Moped. I also wanted to get off of spokes. This after I was blasting down the road to work one morning, arrived, parked, went in, came back out a little later and my back tire was flat. That would have been just great at 90 on the highway.
But the new CB1100 EX has spokes. I've had far more flats with cast wheels and tubeless tires than with spoked wheels. A flat is caused by a puncture. Unless the spoked wheel is damaged as in the rim strip is compromised, the spoked wheel will not present any more of an issue than the cast wheel.

The real difference is in how you go about making a temporary repair. Again, this is far easier with a tube. Pull out the nail or whatever and fill the inner tube with that goop in the aerosol can. It'll seal it well enough to get you to a repair shop.

Without the tube, if the tubeless tire breaks the bead, you are out of luck. If you catch it before that happens you can use a plug from the handy type of plug kit available at a lot of auto parts stores, and then use an aerosol can or some CO2 cartridges to get it rideable.

The T120 series Bonneville is a totally different kind of bike, a complete redesign.:D
Elipten_imp said:
I would think at least $1k more but the dollar is significantly stronger than 2013 so it could be the same or less.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, at least a grand more, I'd say between $12,499 and $12,999. But we'll see.
 
I would think higher. Inflation and the nicer wheels alone call for a price increase. It would be an insult to the current CB1100 if the price doesn't change.
 
I think the concern about tubes is not a slow leaker but the potential for a catastrophic blowout at speed. It would be rare for a tubeless tire to fail explosively and let all the air out at once, but tubes are known to fail in that manner.
 
"The real difference is in how you go about making a temporary repair. Again, this is far easier with a tube. Pull out the nail or whatever and fill the inner tube with that goop in the aerosol can. It'll seal it well enough to get you to a repair shop."

I would have to respectfully disagree. I had a Honda Shadow 1100 ACE with spoke wheels and got a nail in the rear tire. I put 5 cans of Fix a Flat in the rear tire just to limp back home. With a tubeless tire on a mag wheel I could put one can in and ride to a dealership to repair or replace the tire.

The spoke wheels on the 2017 just look appropriately retro.
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Anyone here planning on trading up or buying one? With all the upgrades I think it will be more than $500. The Standard was $9999 in 2013, and the Deluxe was $1900 more. We're getting into some decent coin now. But I saw yesterday a red Thruxton pretty deeply discounted. Triumph missed the boat on that one but hit the mark with the Street Cup. They put 4,000 bucks worth of stuff on the bike, like Ohlins and Brembo and whatnot, and still are only getting 97 horsepower, the same as the four-year-old FZ8 I traded in on my Street Cup There is just some point where it's not worth it to overly "upcharge" for stuff.

On the other hand, the Thruxton and T120 are still cooler bikes than the CB1100, which is the point here. If someone looks at the 2017 CB1100, and then shops the nearest competition, they're gonna be looking at a T120 which makes about the same power, more torque, is 25 pounds lighter, and, with a discount, can be had for the same money. Or they could upcharge to the basic Thruxton, which is about 65 pounds lighter, makes a lot more power and torque, and is a much more capable motorcycle in every measurable way in terms of outright performance.

The new Triumphs are a formidable opponent when it comes to sport heritage motorcycles.
I know you and a lot of other folks on here speak highly of Triumphs. I have never owned one, but I do like the looks. I do not believe there is a Triumph dealer in the state of Arkansas. One of the benefits of owning a Honda is a large dealer network.
 
ulve said:
On the other hand, the Thruxton and T120 are still cooler bikes than the CB1100, which is the point here. If someone looks at the 2017 CB1100, and then shops the nearest competition, they're gonna be looking at a T120 which makes about the same power, more torque, is 25 pounds lighter, and, with a discount, can be had for the same money. Or they could upcharge to the basic Thruxton, which is about 65 pounds lighter, makes a lot more power and torque, and is a much more capable motorcycle in every measurable way in terms of outright performance.

Ok, first off "cooler" is a matter of opinion, and they are cooler not in mine. Nice bikes, but imo not as cool as the CB. Many of us, myself included have had Triumphs, and sold them to buy CB's. If someone looks at a new T-120, and my brother just bought one, they are looking at a bike that weighs about the same as the CB1100 standard, a little less than the deluxe, is down on horsepower to both by about 7%, and costs a lot more than both. My brother's T-120 was over $13000... before taxes. Dealers here are not discounting them them 1 penny, so it's retail plus. If looking at a Thruxton they are looking at a LOT more, and for a lot of people interested in this genre of bikes, a riding position that is hard to fold oneself up in for any length of time. In adition they are water cooled twins instead of air cooled fours, with as you have mentioned in the past fake carbs and radiators, and water pumps and hoses and thermostats. I won't mention that they are British bikes made in Thailand, whereas the CB is a Japanese bike built in Japan.
 
Not all flats are the same, there are always going to be some where the tube might be pinched because of an improper installation, or torn because the rim strip has been damaged or dislocated. But if it's a simple puncture in the tread area, the sealant will work every time as long as it's not a gigantic hole. The issue with tubeless tires is if you lose the bead seal, you've had it.
:huh:
 
The ferret_imp said:
ulve said:
On the other hand, the Thruxton and T120 are still cooler bikes than the CB1100, which is the point here. If someone looks at the 2017 CB1100, and then shops the nearest competition, they're gonna be looking at a T120 which makes about the same power, more torque, is 25 pounds lighter, and, with a discount, can be had for the same money. Or they could upcharge to the basic Thruxton, which is about 65 pounds lighter, makes a lot more power and torque, and is a much more capable motorcycle in every measurable way in terms of outright performance.

Ok, first off "cooler" is a matter of opinion, and they are cooler not in mine. Nice bikes, but imo not as cool as the CB. Many of us, myself included have had Triumphs, and sold them to buy CB's. If someone looks at a new T-120, and my brother just bought one, they are looking at a bike that weighs about the same as the CB1100 standard, a little less than the deluxe, is down on horsepower to both by about 7%, and costs a lot more than both. My brother's T-120 was over $13000... before taxes. Dealers here are not discounting them them 1 penny, so it's retail plus. If looking at a Thruxton they are looking at a LOT more, and for a lot of people interested in this genre of bikes, a riding position that is hard to fold oneself up in for any length of time. In adition they are water cooled twins instead of air cooled fours, with as you have mentioned in the past fake carbs and radiators, and water pumps and hoses and thermostats. I won't mention that they are British bikes made in Thailand, whereas the CB is a Japanese bike built in Japan.
"Ok, first off "cooler" is a matter of opinion, and they are cooler not in mine. Nice bikes, but imo not as cool as the CB."

:thumbsup: Well said; my sentiments exactly! :thanks:
 
Hawkeye_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
ulve said:
On the other hand, the Thruxton and T120 are still cooler bikes than the CB1100, which is the point here. If someone looks at the 2017 CB1100, and then shops the nearest competition, they're gonna be looking at a T120 which makes about the same power, more torque, is 25 pounds lighter, and, with a discount, can be had for the same money. Or they could upcharge to the basic Thruxton, which is about 65 pounds lighter, makes a lot more power and torque, and is a much more capable motorcycle in every measurable way in terms of outright performance.

Ok, first off "cooler" is a matter of opinion, and they are cooler not in mine. Nice bikes, but imo not as cool as the CB. Many of us, myself included have had Triumphs, and sold them to buy CB's. If someone looks at a new T-120, and my brother just bought one, they are looking at a bike that weighs about the same as the CB1100 standard, a little less than the deluxe, is down on horsepower to both by about 7%, and costs a lot more than both. My brother's T-120 was over $13000... before taxes. Dealers here are not discounting them them 1 penny, so it's retail plus. If looking at a Thruxton they are looking at a LOT more, and for a lot of people interested in this genre of bikes, a riding position that is hard to fold oneself up in for any length of time. In adition they are water cooled twins instead of air cooled fours, with as you have mentioned in the past fake carbs and radiators, and water pumps and hoses and thermostats. I won't mention that they are British bikes made in Thailand, whereas the CB is a Japanese bike built in Japan.
"Ok, first off "cooler" is a matter of opinion, and they are cooler not in mine. Nice bikes, but imo not as cool as the CB."

:thumbsup: Well said; my sentiments exactly! :thanks:
"Ok, first off "cooler" is a matter of opinion, and they are cooler not in mine. Nice bikes, but imo not as cool as the CB."

:thumbsup: Well said; my sentiments exactly! :thanks: I am talking about this from a perspective of sales and marketing, not individual opinions. The sales of the CB1100 have been terrible, so much so the bike was discontinued for two years, with many still moldering in crates or collecting dust on showroom floors. Perhaps I should have explained it in different terms, but the perception of coolness which results in high sales numbers resides with Triumph. Now I know why, despite my new Triumph having been designed by the British and manufactured in Thailand. Myself, I love the Thai people and and am very pleased they are clearly able to make a motorcycle even more beautiful, refined, and appealing than the Japanese. So we'll see.
 
Questions posed and my answers:

MSRP? My guess is that it will be the same as the DLX. Keyword=Guess and my guess has a healthy dose of hope tossed in.

Will I trade "up"? First, I don't view it as a move up. I didn't think the DLX was a move up, either. All are slightly different bikes, but I don't find one better than the other. 6th gear is better for some, but not for me. Larger tank=better? not for me. 4-2 exhaust? nope; just different. Second, the only way I would move to a 2017 EX is if something major happened to my 2013 and I needed to replace it. The EX won't make my "Room and Resources" list because I will always have my 2013 and the EX isn't different enough to make that list.
 
Good question. Seems like this is a single model bike in one color. Lends itself to scale pricing. So, where the DLX had a bump in price vs. the Standard, there were only 300 imported stateside. (Looks like 2,500 Std.) If they bring about 2,000 into the states, it might be at, or slightly below, the DLX price. A guess.
 
Interesting observations, DAC. Supply and demand equilibrium will determine a lot about the price.

=======================

I think the Bonneville looks appropriately retro, but it somehow looks less refined and seems like less bike when you put it next to the CB1100EX.

41d4a33d11575cb5e32c2271c9dd23f5.jpg


f8aa0564b103e7b8f468d8da89372670.jpg
 
Back
Top