2017 engine paint

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
For those that questioned the unusual paint on the cylinder and head on the 2017 CB-EX .... in an earlier discussion/thread I mentioned how it first came about on the late 60's Norton Commandos,(and eventually became popular in the late 60's and early 70's with other bikes) MCD just featured some refurbished Nortons which clearly demonstrates this paint scheme

Ultimate Norton Commando Rebuild/Restoration Services from Colorado Norton Works « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

BTW to have a Norton refurbished like this cost $ 34K provided you supply a good donor bike.

How's the $12,100 price of that new CB-EX looking now? lol
 
I can't say I mind the black on the motor as opposed to all silver or all black. If you look at the entire 2017, there are dabs of black and silver all over the place. Tires. Frame. Motor. Forks. Shocks. Seat. Side cover. Gauges. Grips. So it all seems to just flow together to me. I like it. But then, I like the seamless tank too. I heard a video of the old and new motors revving and they did in fact get more rumble in the new pipes. So yeah, I like the black in the motor and those old Nortons look spiffy as well!
 
Nortoon_imp said:
The cylinders on British bikes in the 60s were steel, that's why they were painted black.

[attachment=6035]
They were cast iron, actually.
The ferret_imp said:
For those that questioned the unusual paint on the cylinder and head on the 2017 CB-EX .... in an earlier discussion/thread I mentioned how it first came about on the late 60's Norton Commandos,(and eventually became popular in the late 60's and early 70's with other bikes) MCD just featured some refurbished Nortons which clearly demonstrates this paint scheme

Ultimate Norton Commando Rebuild/Restoration Services from Colorado Norton Works « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

BTW to have a Norton refurbished like this cost $ 34K provided you supply a good donor bike.

How's the $12,100 price of that new CB-EX looking now? lol
I've seen a Colorado Cycle Works Norton in person at the Vintage Bike OC meet. they are amazing! Attention to detail is unsurpassed.
 
TINK_imp said:
Nortoon_imp said:
The cylinders on British bikes in the 60s were steel, that's why they were painted black.

[attachment=6035]
They were cast iron, actually.
The ferret_imp said:
For those that questioned the unusual paint on the cylinder and head on the 2017 CB-EX .... in an earlier discussion/thread I mentioned how it first came about on the late 60's Norton Commandos,(and eventually became popular in the late 60's and early 70's with other bikes) MCD just featured some refurbished Nortons which clearly demonstrates this paint scheme

Ultimate Norton Commando Rebuild/Restoration Services from Colorado Norton Works « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

BTW to have a Norton refurbished like this cost $ 34K provided you supply a good donor bike.

How's the $12,100 price of that new CB-EX looking now? lol
I've seen a Colorado Cycle Works Norton in person at the Vintage Bike OC meet. they are amazing! Attention to detail is unsurpassed.
You're right. I still remember how heavy they were trying to slide them back over the pistons after the overhaul.

I also remember all the parts in labeled envelopes and boxes all over the basement floor that winter. My neighbours who saw that just shook their heads and said "he'll never get that back together".

One warm day in the spring I took it out to the street and went through the British bike starting routine.
Used the kick starter to free the clutch plates.
Slid the choke lever on the handlebar over.
Open the petcocks and tickled (primed) the carbs.
Used the kick starter to bring the pistons to top dead center.
Flipped the ignition key on.
Put my foot on the kick starter and gave it a firm boot.

Staggered back in amazement as it not only started first kick,
IT IDLED! :excited:
 
My 2018 has black engine cases and barrels - the heads are silver.
I would REALLY prefer silver barrels, and engine cases too. REALLY prefer that.
Any idea how realistic it would be to maybe soda blast or similar, the barrels to get them silver, and NOT take the engine out first?
I've never had anything to do with any kind of blasting, soda, walnut husks, sand or whatever, so I don't know what's possible or what is out of the question.
Thanks.
 
It probably is very difficult to do this without taking the barrels of the engine and the total "rebuild" could be costly unless you can do all the work yourself.
 
Thanks. Yes, it's what I suspected too. I'm fearful of approaching a shot-blasting firm who could say "Oh yes, we can do that" and it ending up looking like a pig's ear. And I DON'T want to take out the engine!

I'll put up with what I've got!! :)
 
Bazbro

As already said this isn't going to work without taking the engine out. If you are going to do that then it would probably make more sense to get a second hand engine from somewhere, or just buy a 2013 bike instead.
 
Hi Baz - About 3 years ago a guy here in the UK had his cylinder barrels painted by Honda under warranty - its the only successful claim I've heard of for flaking engine paint on a CB 1100 - the engine had to be stripped to perform the work.
i would rather put up with fin rot or black barrels than have my nearly new engine torn down - even if Honda did do the work.
John
 
Thanks again, guys. There's no way the engine is going to be removed and stripped, for what is just a cosmetic colour change and with only 165 miles on it!! I really like the silver engines and I really DON'T like the black ones. Fortunately, the heads are silver so I'll just be content with what I've got.
 
The ferret_imp said:
For those that questioned the unusual paint on the cylinder and head on the 2017 CB-EX .... in an earlier discussion/thread I mentioned how it first came about on the late 60's Norton Commandos,(and eventually became popular in the late 60's and early 70's with other bikes) MCD just featured some refurbished Nortons which clearly demonstrates this paint scheme

Ultimate Norton Commando Rebuild/Restoration Services from Colorado Norton Works « MotorcycleDaily.com – Motorcycle News, Editorials, Product Reviews and Bike Reviews

BTW to have a Norton refurbished like this cost $ 34K provided you supply a good donor bike.

How's the $12,100 price of that new CB-EX looking now? lol
Theres a good chance I’ll be restoring a 1970 650 Bonneville here soon and while it will be a complete nut/bolt restoration but there is no way in heck it will cost $34,000.
 
Back
Top