2017 CB1100EX Speedometer error?

3rdbike_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I ran a search on this, found two threads with those words in the text, but the subject was how tire size might affect speedo reading.

My question is: has anybody determined if the 2017 EX speedometer is accurate? Reasons for asking: motorcycle speedometers have traditionally been 5 - 10% fast, and keeping up with traffic on I-40 (the freeway) here in Albuquerque, my speedo is reading 75 - 80 mph. The speed limit is 65mph. Am I naïve, and/or giving too much benefit of doubt to these cag(ahem) drivers? Or, is this simply the usual motorcycle speedo error?
 
Can't speak for the 17 but my 14 seems fairly accurate. I've never GPSd it though.
 
Every bike I have ridden, and had a gps to check the accuracy of the speedo has shown 5-7% error. The exception was the BMW K100's which had a way to adjust to fine tune the reading.

A way to roughly check accuracy is to use the mile markers and the clock. @ 60 mph you are moving 1 mile per minute. On a rural stretch of interstate, preferably. So, in ten minutes at 60 mph - 10 miles, at 66 mph- 11 miles, at 72 mph - 12 miles, etc.

As to the traffic in town, around here 10 to 15 over the posted is pretty normal. Riding at the limit will get one run down from behind. I avoid the interstate slab like a slow root canal with out Novocain.
Jim
 
Everytime I ride by one of those contraptions that show you your speed, my '14 cb is dead on.
 
There was also a post about this on the CB500X Forum a couple of years ago. It was found the American speedometers were accurate in MPH, but the Canadian speedometers in KPH were optimistically out by 6%.

The flashing road side KPH signs show that my CB1100 EX is also optimistically fast. I already knew that from riding on divided 4-lane highways. Ordinarily most people will drive their cars 10 to 15 KPH faster than the 100 KPH speed limit. But I have to ride about 120 KPH to keep up.

On 2 lane highways the speed limit is 80 KPH, but most people drive 90 KPH. I have to ride at 95 KPH to avoid being tailgated.

Canada's 2 lane highways use to have a speed limit of 60 MPH (100 KPH). But when Canada converted to the metric system, they were reduced to 80 KPH (55 MPH). Nobody noticed.

Now the price of gasoline fluctuates between $1.00 to $1.15 per liter, and Canadians accept that as normal. However if the metric system had not been used, gas would be $4.55 to $5.25 an Imperial gallon and people would be screaming.

Actually people do complain about paying $1.00 per liter for gas. A product that has to be drilled out of the earth as oil, piped to an American refinery, shipped back to Canada to holding tanks, and delivered by trucks to gas stations. But think nothing of paying $1.50 at a gas station for 1/2 liter bottle of water, something that is available from any tap. :huh:
 
Nortoon_imp said:
There was also a post about this on the CB500X Forum a couple of years ago. It was found the American speedometers were accurate in MPH, but the Canadian speedometers in KPH were optimistically out by 6%.

The flashing road side KPH signs show that my CB1100 EX is also optimistically fast. I already knew that from riding on divided 4-lane highways. Ordinarily most people will drive their cars 10 to 15 KPH faster than the 100 KPH speed limit. But I have to ride about 120 KPH to keep up.

On 2 lane highways the speed limit is 80 KPH, but most people drive 90 KPH. I have to ride at 95 KPH to avoid being tailgated.

Canada's 2 lane highways use to have a speed limit of 60 MPH (100 KPH). But when Canada converted to the metric system, they were reduced to 80 KPH (55 MPH). Nobody noticed.

Now the price of gasoline fluctuates between $1.00 to $1.15 per liter, and Canadians accept that as normal. However if the metric system had not been used, gas would be $4.55 to $5.25 an Imperial gallon and people would be screaming.

Actually people do complain about paying $1.00 per liter for gas. A product that has to be drilled out of the earth as oil, piped to an American refinery, shipped back to Canada to holding tanks, and delivered by trucks to gas stations. But think nothing of paying $1.50 at a gas station for 1/2 liter bottle of water, something that is available from any tap. :huh:
I refuse to buy bottled water if it can at all be avoided, I always carry a water bottle everywhere I go. So much cheaper.
 
I only drink bottled water (Ice Mountain brand to be specific). Can't stand the taste of tap water. I buy cases of Ice Mountain at Sam's and pay about 20 cents ea for a 16.9 oz bottle. I always have a bottle or two on my bike or in my truck.

I really don't like paying over $2.50 for a gallon of gas. My ST takes premium, and where the grades used to be 10 cents apart..say $2.50 for reg, $2.60 for mid grade and $2.70 for premium, they are now charging 60 cents more for premium over regular, so if reg is $2.50, Premium is now $3.10 a gallon which last less than an hour of riding.
 
I speed everywhere I go. Hardly ever look at the speedometer. Riding (speeding) up to Jonesboro on Thursday to see about acquiring a new 2014 Valkyrie so I can enjoy speeding around on that too.
 
I think you'll like that Valk. Just a brief couple rides on one made me think about getting a bigger bike. I couldn't believe how nimble and light it felt when underway. And the torque...:thumbsup:
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
I think you'll like that Valk. Just a brief couple rides on one made me think about getting a bigger bike. I couldn't believe how nimble and light it felt when underway. And the torque...:thumbsup:
Haven't ridden one yet, but I can't wait.
 
The speedo on my 2011 CB1100 is optimistic. When it says I'm doing 110 kph, the GPS says I'm doing about 104.

As for petrol (gas), regular was AU$1.40+ yesterday. The petrol companies price very opportunistically here and it can very daily.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The speedo on my 2011 CB1100 is optimistic. When it says I'm doing 110 kph, the GPS says I'm doing about 104.

As for petrol (gas), regular was AU$1.40+ yesterday. The petrol companies price very opportunistically here and it can very daily.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
 
RLS_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The speedo on my 2011 CB1100 is optimistic. When it says I'm doing 110 kph, the GPS says I'm doing about 104.

As for petrol (gas), regular was AU$1.40+ yesterday. The petrol companies price very opportunistically here and it can very daily.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
AU$1.40/liter sounds like about US$4.04/gallon, if I got all the conversions right.
 
RockHop_imp said:
RLS_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The speedo on my 2011 CB1100 is optimistic. When it says I'm doing 110 kph, the GPS says I'm doing about 104.

As for petrol (gas), regular was AU$1.40+ yesterday. The petrol companies price very opportunistically here and it can very daily.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
AU$1.40/liter sounds like about US$4.04/gallon, if I got all the conversions right.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
AU$1.40/liter sounds like about US$4.04/gallon, if I got all the conversions right.
I was thinking gallons. $4 a gallon for regular is high.
 
AU$1.4 per litre is about US$4 per US gallon.
 
An easy way to check the speedo is to use a gps app like Waze that shows you your speed. Works well on the highway as long as you can drive a steady constant speed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
RLS_imp said:
RockHop_imp said:
RLS_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The speedo on my 2011 CB1100 is optimistic. When it says I'm doing 110 kph, the GPS says I'm doing about 104.

As for petrol (gas), regular was AU$1.40+ yesterday. The petrol companies price very opportunistically here and it can very daily.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
AU$1.40/liter sounds like about US$4.04/gallon, if I got all the conversions right.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
AU$1.40/liter sounds like about US$4.04/gallon, if I got all the conversions right.
I was thinking gallons. $4 a gallon for regular is high.
Wow that sounds inexpensive. I have only been using premium (Ethyl for the old guys) and it was $3/gal last fill up. I really notice the difference in using the higher octane gas.
AU$1.40/liter sounds like about US$4.04/gallon, if I got all the conversions right.
I was thinking gallons. $4 a gallon for regular is high.
You guys on the other side of the pond are so lucky;). Here in Germany average gas price for 95 octane is € 1.35 (USD 1.60/liter or USD 6.08/gal).
 
Thread starter
I downloaded a speedometer app and checked the CB speedo today to answer my question. Spot on. So yes, these people are commonly running 75 to 80 mph on a freeway marked 65mph. :dodgy:

It's nice to have an accurate speedo. I also checked my old '76 Guzzi 850 T3: 10 mph fast across the board. '02 Guzzi California EV: 5 to 7mph fast. (both cable driven from the tranny)
 
tuareg I have a good friend from Germany that comes to visit every once in awhile and he says he likes coming here because gas is on sale lol

3rd bike what speedo app did you download? to a smart phone?
 
Back
Top