2017 cb1100

To be clear, I said if I were designing the perfect bike for ME..it would have shaft drive. I never said nor implied I thought the CB1100 should have shaft drive. Chain drive is how the CB1100 SHOULD be (Although a shaft drive version of this bike, with hydraulic valves, a 6 gallon gas tank, a small factory fairing, factory hard removable side bags and a luggage rack would be awesome)

and if you put a lot of miles on a bike, then the true advantage of a shaft shows itself. I have 67,000 miles on my ST with shaft and all it has cost me is 5.2 oz of 80 wt rear end oil once a year ($14 over an 8 year span and there's enough left in the bottle for 3 more years). You never know the shaft drive is back there, and you never have to think about it....no jacking, no handling issues, no noise and if it robs horsepower you never feel it. You don't have to carry adjustment tools or a can of lube on a trip, and you don't have to check adjustment or lube it at the end of a 500 mile day that included riding in some rain. If the ST were a chain drive bike, at 67,000 miles I would be on my 3rd set of chains and sprockets at $250 per set plus labor (unless I did the work myself), plus a bunch of adjustments, lubings, chain cleanings and rear wheel cleanings.

In one and half years I an 2/3 of the way thru a set of chain and sprockets on my CB. By the end of this summer I should be ready for a set.

Like I said all systems have their pluses and minuses.
 
BestStandard_imp said:
It will be a CL1100 Scrambler!!! :D

http://www.therideadvice.com/image-...ploads/2015/02/Honda-CB1100-Scrambler-004.jpg

Actually, I think Honda already gave us a glimpse of the 2017 model with the 2016 yellow concept. It will probably be very similar, but the color schemes may vary. My guess is the engine will be unchanged since it already received a major update in 2014 with the 6 speed tranny, engine cases, etc. It would be unusual for Honda to make changes like that for just one model year.
I'd dig that!!:thumbsup:
 
The ferret_imp said:
To be clear, I said if I were designing the perfect bike for ME..it would have shaft drive. I never said nor implied I thought the CB1100 should have shaft drive. Chain drive is how the CB1100 SHOULD be (Although a shaft drive version of this bike, with hydraulic valves, a 6 gallon gas tank, a small factory fairing, factory hard removable side bags and a luggage rack would be awesome)

and if you put a lot of miles on a bike, then the true advantage of a shaft shows itself. I have 67,000 miles on my ST with shaft and all it has cost me is 5.2 oz of 80 wt rear end oil once a year ($14 over an 8 year span and there's enough left in the bottle for 3 more years). You never know the shaft drive is back there, and you never have to think about it....no jacking, no handling issues, no noise and if it robs horsepower you never feel it. You don't have to carry adjustment tools or a can of lube on a trip, and you don't have to check adjustment or lube it at the end of a 500 mile day that included riding in some rain. If the ST were a chain drive bike, at 67,000 miles I would be on my 3rd set of chains and sprockets at $250 per set plus labor (unless I did the work myself), plus a bunch of adjustments, lubings, chain cleanings and rear wheel cleanings.

In one and half years I an 2/3 of the way thru a set of chain and sprockets on my CB. By the end of this summer I should be ready for a set.

Like I said all systems have their pluses and minuses.
Couldn't have envisioned it better :thumbsup:

But if all that makes for a ugly bike or a bike that doesn't make the same awesome first impression the current bike makes now, I would happily give up all those things.
 
I've never had a shaft drive, but I've had a few belt drives and they've yet to cost me a single cent in repair or maintenance. I'd vote for a belt... BUT if the bike is truly considered 'retro' then a chain is really the only way to go. Plus, let's be real here... while you can tour on it, it's not designed for that purpose.
 
As noted in another post, Honda once made a chain drive car, but since the late 60s I'd venture to guess they have all been shaft drive... for a reason lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
To be clear, I said if I were designing the perfect bike for ME..it would have shaft drive. I never said nor implied I thought the CB1100 should have shaft drive. Chain drive is how the CB1100 SHOULD be (Although a shaft drive version of this bike, with hydraulic valves, a 6 gallon gas tank, a small factory fairing, factory hard removable side bags and a luggage rack would be awesome)

and if you put a lot of miles on a bike, then the true advantage of a shaft shows itself. I have 67,000 miles on my ST with shaft and all it has cost me is 5.2 oz of 80 wt rear end oil once a year ($14 over an 8 year span and there's enough left in the bottle for 3 more years). You never know the shaft drive is back there, and you never have to think about it....no jacking, no handling issues, no noise and if it robs horsepower you never feel it. You don't have to carry adjustment tools or a can of lube on a trip, and you don't have to check adjustment or lube it at the end of a 500 mile day that included riding in some rain. If the ST were a chain drive bike, at 67,000 miles I would be on my 3rd set of chains and sprockets at $250 per set plus labor (unless I did the work myself), plus a bunch of adjustments, lubings, chain cleanings and rear wheel cleanings.

In one and half years I an 2/3 of the way thru a set of chain and sprockets on my CB. By the end of this summer I should be ready for a set.

Like I said all systems have their pluses and minuses.
They would have to jack up the total carry weight from the puny <400lbs it has now. Other than that, it would be a sweet cruiser set up that way especially because of the hydraulic valves.
 
The ferret_imp said:
To be clear, I said if I were designing the perfect bike for ME..it would have shaft drive. I never said nor implied I thought the CB1100 should have shaft drive. Chain drive is how the CB1100 SHOULD be (Although a shaft drive version of this bike, with hydraulic valves, a 6 gallon gas tank, a small factory fairing, factory hard removable side bags and a luggage rack would be awesome)

and if you put a lot of miles on a bike, then the true advantage of a shaft shows itself. I have 67,000 miles on my ST with shaft and all it has cost me is 5.2 oz of 80 wt rear end oil once a year ($14 over an 8 year span and there's enough left in the bottle for 3 more years). You never know the shaft drive is back there, and you never have to think about it....no jacking, no handling issues, no noise and if it robs horsepower you never feel it. You don't have to carry adjustment tools or a can of lube on a trip, and you don't have to check adjustment or lube it at the end of a 500 mile day that included riding in some rain. If the ST were a chain drive bike, at 67,000 miles I would be on my 3rd set of chains and sprockets at $250 per set plus labor (unless I did the work myself), plus a bunch of adjustments, lubings, chain cleanings and rear wheel cleanings.

In one and half years I an 2/3 of the way thru a set of chain and sprockets on my CB. By the end of this summer I should be ready for a set.

Like I said all systems have their pluses and minuses.
This is what it's all about. we each like different things. I bought my CB because I liked the looks of it. ( would loved to have had spokes and 4 into 2 pipes) I will sacrifice some technical features for looks. i.e. shaft, big tank, etc. There are other models with shaft dirve and bigger tanks and removable bags. Everyone is different.
 
Agree. The CB1100 is a retro bike. Hard to imagine a large retro CB750 inspired bike if it had shaft drive. Besides, cost and weight is higher with shaft drives.
 
dirt road_imp said:
Chains arent all that bad , but I would love to park a new VFR1200 ...with shaft drive....in the garage next to my CB1100.
+1 on this idea!

I have always liked the VFR models, which made my choice of the CB1100 a little harder. Unfortunately my budget only allows me one bike in my garage.
 
Ron in MO_imp said:
dirt road_imp said:
Chains arent all that bad , but I would love to park a new VFR1200 ...with shaft drive....in the garage next to my CB1100.
+1 on this idea!

I have always liked the VFR models, which made my choice of the CB1100 a little harder. Unfortunately my budget only allows me one bike in my garage.
+1 on this idea!

I have always liked the VFR models, which made my choice of the CB1100 a little harder. Unfortunately my budget only allows me one bike in my garage.
Here you go.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/5418263274.html
 
redbirds_imp said:
Ron in MO_imp said:
dirt road_imp said:
Chains arent all that bad , but I would love to park a new VFR1200 ...with shaft drive....in the garage next to my CB1100.
+1 on this idea!

I have always liked the VFR models, which made my choice of the CB1100 a little harder. Unfortunately my budget only allows me one bike in my garage.
+1 on this idea!

I have always liked the VFR models, which made my choice of the CB1100 a little harder. Unfortunately my budget only allows me one bike in my garage.
Here you go.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/5418263274.html
+1 on this idea!

I have always liked the VFR models, which made my choice of the CB1100 a little harder. Unfortunately my budget only allows me one bike in my garage.
Here you go.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/5418263274.html
Beautiful! Buying this would be grounds for divorce!:s
 
A couple points: Shaft vs chain is like Protestant vs Catholic, Ford vs. Chevy, Mary Ann vs. Ginger. I see no profit in going down that road. :D

Back in the early 80's Honda mated a shaft drive to an inline four to create the big CB900 Custom. To do so they had to add a couple extra components which gave them this very cool hi-low range but a longer bike. Never rode one, but I liked the bike. Not a sales success (it was up against the GL1100 for touring and we all know how that turned out).

Finally; for what it is, the CB1100 had to be chain drive. She is a retro bike, designed for the modern world. If it had come out with a shaft drive, most of us would have said "should have been a chain drive, all the old sporty I4 Honda's were chain drive; Honda missed the mark going with a shaft".

If you make all these "improvements" to the CB1100 you now have an older design (refreshed, but dang, old hat!) up against modern bikes that have already taken advantage of years of improvements. We already have great choices to spend our money on than a throw back bike with shaft drive. I'm pretty sure the Moto Guzzi would be a better choice unless Honda could out Moto Guzzi Moto Guzzi (and I think they could very easily).

Honda could very easily design them selves right out of the niche the CB1100 sits in; ruining a very well thought out machine and shooting its' self in the foot as customers flocked away from it.
 
All of the big 4 used to have a huge selection of shaft drive bikes v twins, v4s and I 4's down to 500ccs. How many are left in there line ups? And how many belt drive Japanese bikes are there. How many have hydraulic lifters? The Japanese seemed to have settle into this shim under bucket and chain drive as about the only options.

I dont think anyone here is suggesting that the Cb1100 should have been shaft drive. i think there are some that are lamenting the availability of models with shaft drive though.
 
Shaft is over rated, chain is under rated. I have two chain drive bikes and one shaft drive. When I choose one to ride, the final drive is not even in the equation.

That said; I like the fact we have choices. We seem to have lots of choices too. Perhaps not to everyones liking, but we have choices.

Not sure where belts fit in though. Have never owned one, have never had a strong desire to get a belt drive (or avoid them).
 
I have one chain drive bike, one shaft drive bike, and two belt drive bikes. Aside from occasionally cleaning and spraying the chain, there's no difference to me between any of them, although removing the rear wheel on the shaft- and belt-drive bikes is a simple job, while the chain-drive bike requires a bit more effort. But none have stranded me, and I can't discern any difference when I'm riding. That said, I agree with most here that a shaft or belt "doesn't belong" on the CB. The chain is fine and fits the bike's image nicely.
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Ginger was hot.
That is because she had a fever...

Mary Ann on the other hand has the really good looking bomb shell of the show. We all knew we had a chance to get a date with the girl from Kansas, not from Hollywood.

:P
 
Back
Top