2017 cb1100

It will be a CL1100 Scrambler!!! :D

http://www.therideadvice.com/image-...ploads/2015/02/Honda-CB1100-Scrambler-004.jpg

Actually, I think Honda already gave us a glimpse of the 2017 model with the 2016 yellow concept. It will probably be very similar, but the color schemes may vary. My guess is the engine will be unchanged since it already received a major update in 2014 with the 6 speed tranny, engine cases, etc. It would be unusual for Honda to make changes like that for just one model year.
 
noroomtomove_imp said:
All those on the other side of the Pond (Pacific Ocean), often read about the desire for a larger capacity tank.I hear where you coming from. Just a inquiry, if in the more remote areas of the US on secondary roads how far between service stations ? From what I have read if planning a lap of this Continent (Aust) only on a couple of occasions would you need a range greater than 280km.

Any one thought of fitting the K10 tank (18l - 4.7gal) its larger if range is an issue?

Regards

PS.
Ride to Mitta Mitta theoretical 300 km to a tank. To Dargo 284 km (176 mile) actual and there was still some fuel to go before vapour.
Well, I'm one of the ones that often comments on the range of the CB so I'll chime in. I never come close to some of the mileage claims folks post here. I keep the tires at the correct PSI and don't necessarily hammer the motor hard but I'm always closer to 40 mpg than the 50 often mentioned. Part of that is the fact the bike is moving a 6 footer with 230 pounds at anywhere from 4,400 to 9,000 feet in altitude.

To answer your question about distance between fill-ups in remote areas. I plan on riding solo in southern Utah next weekend. The 1st leg of the ride is 67 miles. If the gas station at that point is closed or inoperable it's another 132 miles before the next station. If the station at 67 miles is closed I'll be forced to turn around. If it's open then the next gas on the route is 132 miles away. That's without any side trips which could add 15-30 miles to that distance. Much to close too the tank range for my comfort. Because of this I'll be carrying 3, 33 oz MSR bottles with gas As I plan to camp off the bike close to the Moki Dugway Switchbacks, NW of Mexican Hat shown in the picture (weather permitting).

311c6996e5824d32fbfe34eb5309464b.jpg
 
Frulk_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
All those on the other side of the Pond (Pacific Ocean), often read about the desire for a larger capacity tank.I hear where you coming from. Just a inquiry, if in the more remote areas of the US on secondary roads how far between service stations ? From what I have read if planning a lap of this Continent (Aust) only on a couple of occasions would you need a range greater than 280km.

Any one thought of fitting the K10 tank (18l - 4.7gal) its larger if range is an issue?

Regards

PS.
Ride to Mitta Mitta theoretical 300 km to a tank. To Dargo 284 km (176 mile) actual and there was still some fuel to go before vapour.
Well, I'm one of the ones that often comments on the range of the CB so I'll chime in. I never come close to some of the mileage claims folks post here. I keep the tires at the correct PSI and don't necessarily hammer the motor hard but I'm always closer to 40 mpg than the 50 often mentioned. Part of that is the fact the bike is moving a 6 footer with 230 pounds at anywhere from 4,400 to 9,000 feet in altitude.

To answer your question about distance between fill-ups in remote areas. I plan on riding solo in southern Utah next weekend. The 1st leg of the ride is 67 miles. If the gas station at that point is closed or inoperable it's another 132 miles before the next station. If the station at 67 miles is closed I'll be forced to turn around. If it's open then the next gas on the route is 132 miles away. That's without any side trips which could add 15-30 miles to that distance. Much to close too the tank range for my comfort. Because of this I'll be carrying 3, 33 oz MSR bottles with gas As I plan to camp off the bike close to the Moki Dugway Switchbacks, NW of Mexican Hat shown in the picture (weather permitting).

311c6996e5824d32fbfe34eb5309464b.jpg
Well, I'm one of the ones that often comments on the range of the CB so I'll chime in. I never come close to some of the mileage claims folks post here. I keep the tires at the correct PSI and don't necessarily hammer the motor hard but I'm always closer to 40 mph than the 50 often mentioned. Part of that is the fact the bike is moving a 6 footer with 230 pounds at anywhere from 4,400 to 9,000 feet in altitude.

To answer your question about distance between fill-ups in remote areas. I plan on riding solo in southern Utah next weekend. The 1st leg of the ride is 67 miles. If the gas station at that point is closed or inoperable it's another 132 miles before the next station. If the station at 67 miles is closed I'll be forced to turn around. If it's open then the next gas on the route is 138 miles away. That's without any side trips which could add 15-30 miles to that distance. Much to close to the tank range for my comfort. Because of this I'll be carrying 3, 33 oz MSR bottles with gas As I plan to camp off the bike close to the Moki Dugway Switchbacks, NW of Mexican Hat shown in the picture (weather permitting).

516e10f9d4240c5233eda92f36b9f967.jpg

That's great scenery. Don't forget to post a ride report. If you run out of juice and perish, please leave a message on your phone to post the photos to this forum.

Cheers :)
 
Frulk_imp said:
noroomtomove_imp said:
All those on the other side of the Pond (Pacific Ocean), often read about the desire for a larger capacity tank.I hear where you coming from. Just a inquiry, if in the more remote areas of the US on secondary roads how far between service stations ? From what I have read if planning a lap of this Continent (Aust) only on a couple of occasions would you need a range greater than 280km.

Any one thought of fitting the K10 tank (18l - 4.7gal) its larger if range is an issue?

Regards

PS.
Ride to Mitta Mitta theoretical 300 km to a tank. To Dargo 284 km (176 mile) actual and there was still some fuel to go before vapour.
Well, I'm one of the ones that often comments on the range of the CB so I'll chime in. I never come close to some of the mileage claims folks post here. I keep the tires at the correct PSI and don't necessarily hammer the motor hard but I'm always closer to 40 mpg than the 50 often mentioned. Part of that is the fact the bike is moving a 6 footer with 230 pounds at anywhere from 4,400 to 9,000 feet in altitude.

To answer your question about distance between fill-ups in remote areas. I plan on riding solo in southern Utah next weekend. The 1st leg of the ride is 67 miles. If the gas station at that point is closed or inoperable it's another 132 miles before the next station. If the station at 67 miles is closed I'll be forced to turn around. If it's open then the next gas on the route is 132 miles away. That's without any side trips which could add 15-30 miles to that distance. Much to close too the tank range for my comfort. Because of this I'll be carrying 3, 33 oz MSR bottles with gas As I plan to camp off the bike close to the Moki Dugway Switchbacks, NW of Mexican Hat shown in the picture (weather permitting).

311c6996e5824d32fbfe34eb5309464b.jpg
There's gas in Hanksville and gas in Mexican Hat. Is that the leg you're concerned about?

Tonopah to Ely, NV, is a distance of 168 miles, and on that highway it's really hard to ride below 90 mph. You've really got to watch your gas gauge! I last rode it on a Kawasaki Concours 1000 at a sustained 120+ mph. That bike had a 7.5 gallon gas tank and almost didn't make it.

 
Can't wait for the ride report, Frulk. Looks awesome.
 
These photos make me realize just how much I miss the west and how much time I wasted indoors while there. I need to get riding. Thanks for posting them.
 
If you look closely you can see the road below. I took this last Sunday and you can bet that I was in my truck that day. It was 55° down here in the valley and a nippy 35° at 4100' with a 40 MPH wind + gusts.



I plan to do some riding the next few days with the temps supposed to get into the 70's around here.
 
rusty1_imp said:
Just hear today, that we are getting the CB1100 back for 2017 in Canada, to be released in May or June this year. No pic's yet.
That seems... unlikely. Honda is very consistent with their model releases. They do press in November/December, and release in April for the current model year. In other words, any vehicle that is coming in April this year is 1) Already announced and 2) A 2016 model.

Of course that does't mean it can't happen, just, as I said, is very unlikely. Especially if heard from a dealer -- then I'd say it's probably an outright falsehood.
DaSwami_imp said:
That IS good news...hopefully for the US too
Dear Honda,

All I ask for to make the bike perfect is shaft drive. Pretty please!!!!!!!!


Thanks,

DaSwami
I love shaft drive. The one on my Trophy is exquisite and nearly maintenance-free. However, on a small bike like the CB, the shaft drive would add a significant percentage of weight, as well as bulk and corresponding ugliness -- I don't think it would fit with the "look" nor purpose of the bike.
 
AzBob_imp said:
rusty1_imp said:
Just hear today, that we are getting the CB1100 back for 2017 in Canada, to be released in May or June this year. No pic's yet.
That seems... unlikely. Honda is very consistent with their model releases. They do press in November/December, and release in April for the current model year. In other words, any vehicle that is coming in April this year is 1) Already announced and 2) A 2016 model.

Of course that does't mean it can't happen, just, as I said, is very unlikely. Especially if heard from a dealer -- then I'd say it's probably an outright falsehood.
DaSwami_imp said:
That IS good news...hopefully for the US too
Dear Honda,

All I ask for to make the bike perfect is shaft drive. Pretty please!!!!!!!!


Thanks,

DaSwami
I love shaft drive. The one on my Trophy is exquisite and nearly maintenance-free. However, on a small bike like the CB, the shaft drive would add a significant percentage of weight, as well as bulk and corresponding ugliness -- I don't think it would fit with the "look" nor purpose of the bike.
That seems... unlikely. Honda is very consistent with their model releases. They do press in November/December, and release in April for the current model year. In other words, any vehicle that is coming in April this year is 1) Already announced and 2) A 2016 model.

Of course that does't mean it can't happen, just, as I said, is very unlikely. Especially if heard from a dealer -- then I'd say it's probably an outright falsehood.
DaSwami_imp said:
That IS good news...hopefully for the US too
Dear Honda,

All I ask for to make the bike perfect is shaft drive. Pretty please!!!!!!!!


Thanks,

DaSwami
I love shaft drive. The one on my Trophy is exquisite and nearly maintenance-free. However, on a small bike like the CB, the shaft drive would add a significant percentage of weight, as well as bulk and corresponding ugliness -- I don't think it would fit with the "look" nor purpose of the bike.
Moto Guzzi V7? 750cc bike with shaft drive....awesome

Suzuki GSX1100G.....closest bike to the CB1100 I've owned, shaft drive.

I guess I don't understand the "purpose" of shaft drive vs chain drive (except for the super sporty crowd..) in a general all purpose bike. I would own all shaft drive bikes if they made them.
 
Well I have shaft drive, splines need lubing, splines wear and replacement or repair is expensive, and then there is jacking and weight. In general I agree but I can be happy with either. Never tried belt yet but many love belt drive.


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
I've had all 3. All have their plusses and minuses. If I were designing the perfect bike for me it would have shaft drive.
 
Keep in mind the direction of rotation in an in-line four power source. A drive shaft would require two 90 degree turns in power direction. That would be costly in efficiency and weight. Not to mention whatever torque conversion mechinizium that would need to be added to the design of the bike. I have owned all three types of drives and picked the CB1100 because of its simplicity. A belt would be a slight improvement but I'll take it as it is!
 
650 Nighthawk, 700S Nighthawk, CB900 Custom, CB1000Custom, Yamaha 650 Maxim, Yamaha 650 Seca, Suzuki GS850, GS1000G, GS1100 to name a few.... the Japanese figured out how to put a driveshaft on an I-4 at least 30 years ago no problem
 
Yes, but what was given up? Just sayin. At this time in my life form, function, and simplicity work for me. To each his own. I think they did very well with this bike. I'll just take it as it is.
 
For some weird reason I've only owned chain drive bikes. In the days before sealed chains were common, I really hated chain drives. They were messy, required constant lubrication, cleaning and adjustment. O-ring/X-ring sealed chains are almost maintenance free by comparison. Nowadays chain drives are simple, efficient and lightweight. What's not to like?
 
Had a shaft drive, didn't find it any better than a chain drive. Weight, looks, and still needs to be maintained. The CB1100 begs to be chain drive.

I do much prefer hydraulic over shim and bucket. Dual overhead cams are a pia for me anymore.
 
Back
Top