2017 CB1100 - Just some random wintertime thoughts

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Stopped by State 8 near Peninsula Ohio earlier this afternoon, and noticed a lovely 2017 on the floor. I'd not taken any time in the past to look over one of these beauties, so the salesman pushed her onto the floor where I could give it a better examination.

It truly is a beautiful machine.

Would I consider trading or selling my 2014 and going with another CB instead of switching to a Triumph T120? Don't know ...... I'd have to spend a bit more time in the saddle of my buddy's 2016 Bonnie, then do a bit of demo time on a new CB.

It's taken me a while to get used to the inline 4 vs twins, but it'd be a close contest between the Triumph and the Honda. I like the fact that Honda installed better forks and double wall pipes on the new bike. I'm not a lover of tube type tires, but I lived with them on several bikes with few issues, including a 2000 W650 and a 2003 Bonneville Centennial Edition.

State 8 now handles both Triumph and Honda, though at different ends of the Cleveland area.

Bob
 
Funny, I was looking at a 2017 at pretty much the same time. The salesman even moved some other bikes so that I could have a better look. It's gorgeous.

What is it about inline 4s that took you a while to get used to? Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Nate
 
Hard to fault either bike to live with unless they don't fit you. It's nice to have so many really good bikes to choose from.
 
Also hard to ignore the great track record of Honda dependability. That is a big bias for many who suffer through the decision ordeal. ;)
 
Every time I ride my CB 1100 I think "what a great motorcycle". Not kidding...every time! Said it on this morning's ride.

My brother has a 2016 T-120 and it's every bit the equal to the CB performance wise. I have ridden it several times. What absolutely bugs me when I ride it is the thump you feel when riding it. My 2003 360 Bonneville was so much smoother than the 270 degree crank model. It's not a vibration, it's a thump. Like 1 cylinder is firing hit or miss.
I could not live with that, but my brother doesn't mind it at all. He notices it, and comments on it, he just doesn't mind it.
 
Can't agree more. In fact, once in the country side, there is usually that moment where I go, "Ahh ... this is good, ... this is good.". A genuine release.

I never did that on previous bikes.
 
Regarding the '17 CB1100 vs the T120, I remain slightly torn. Each bike offers a few definite advantages. The CB absolutely outhandles the Triumph. The '17 Honda steers and turns so much more effortlessly than the T120, and its upgraded suspension is markedly superior. Helping the Honda's case is its matching 18" wheels with slimmer tires, and much wider handlebars. Whereas the Triumph steers very truckishly, due to its overly narrow handlebars and mismatched wheels and tires, the wonderfully balanced Honda handles like a much lighter bike. To me, that is the Honda's greatest advantage over the Triumph. That heavy-steering front end was the one aspect of riding the Triumph that bothered me, whereas the smooth, effortless handling of the Honda is the one aspect that I truly enjoy whenever I ride my CB.

Only time will tell, but I feel that the Honda offers superior long-term reliability, along with a slight edge in the looks department. The Triumph looks nearly perfect; about as perfect as a modern retro can look, given that it's saddled with a radiator. It's not a big issue with me. Compared to Kawasaki and their Z900RS, Triumph did a great job of minimizing the visual impact of that tall, narrow radiator. Still, the no-radiator look is better. The Honda with nothing but its four cascading downtubes and glorious cylinder fins looks so much cleaner and classier. Also, the welded seams on the T120's tank are a serious eye-sore, especially compared to that elegant seamlesss tank on the '17 CB.

The other main advantage I would give to the Honda is its smoother fueling and easier clutch. My CB1100 has the best low-speed throttle response/clutch take-up I've ever experienced. The Triumph's isn't bad, but the Honda's is a bloody miracle.

Lastly, the brakes. The Honda's are better. Despite being the heavier machine, the Honda simply turns and stops better than the Triumph.

On the other hand, the Triumph has a few advantages, as well. For starters, it sounds and feels cooler to me. I prefer the Triumph's smoother P-Twin throb and deep rumble to the CB's high-frequency buzz. The CB is smooth as glass from tickover to 3,500 rpm, and again from 5,000 rpm to redline, but between 3,500-5,000 rpm the I4 buzzing is borderline annoying. I never find the Triumph's vibrations to be anything but pleasant and satisfying. Similarly, the '17 Honda sounds really good, and certainly better than the 2013-2014 CB1100, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Triumph.

Sound and feel preferences are entirely subjective, of course. Whereas mickey is put off by the Triumph Twin's thumping character, I definitely prefer it. I enjoy the feel of the Honda motor, most of the time, anyway. I love the feel of the Triumph's motor.

I also prefer the Triumph's slimmer build, lower seat height, and superior legroom. Overall, I prefer the T120's seating position.

I would need to ride them directly back-to-back now, because I sure didn't notice it when I rode the Triumph before, but the Triumph is supposed to be a lot torquier than the Honda. When I rode the T120 (three times), I always came away feeling that the bike was only barely punchy enough to be do-able. With the Honda, I do sometimes long for more torque down low, and certainly more power up top, but it generally feels about the same as the Triumph, in terms of low-down grunt. It shouldn't, either. The Triumph makes a ton more torque and power than the Honda down low, plus the Triumph weighs less. The magazine testers all seem to agree that the Triumph has a lot more motor than the Honda, 90% of the time.

I don't know. Like I said, to me they felt very similar. I do know, however, that there is no fun to be had in revving out the Triumph. All its power is concentrated right at the bottom. There is no point in revving the thing. There are no rpm to play with, and the power tails off so early that it's a moot point anyway. At least with the Honda there is still a bit of extra power to play with above 5,000 rpm.

I said earlier that the Honda has superior brakes, and it does, with one caveat. For the 2017 model Triumph added rubber dampers to the front rotor mounts, eliminating the chronic brake squeal of the 2016 model. In that regard, the Triumph beats my '17 EX, the incessant brake squeal of which continues to annoy the ever-loving crap outta me. I remain steadfast in my opinion that the '17 EX would be a perfect motorcycle, at least for what it is, if only the brakes didn't squeal, and the motor didn't have that vibey patch between 3,500-5,000 rpm.

Meanwhile, the Triumph would be the perfect bike—again, for what it is—if it had lighter steering, better overall handling, no unsightly tank seams, and more motor, especially up top. For me, the perfect Triumph would be a T120 with the Thruxton/Speed Twin 17" wheels, steering geometry, and 'HP'-spec motor. The T120 looks so much better than the new Speed Twin, which needs the new Scrambler 1200's seamless tank and level tank and tailsection, rather than the forward-canted mess that it sports now. (Thanks again, mickey, for ruining the Speed Twin for me!)

Right this moment, having owned the '17 CB for almost a year now, I would be hard-pressed to choose between my CB and a new T120. Were it not for the brake squeal, I would likely still opt for the Honda. Because of the brake squeal, however, I might go for the Triumph now, just as a change of pace, to try something different. Two weeks into T120 ownership, however, I would likely miss the Honda's superior handling and overall refinement, and regret my choice.

They're both beautiful, flawed bikes. The Honda is less flawed. The rest is mostly down to subjective preferences, so just buy the one that tugs hardest on your heartstrings.
 
Thread starter
Elevenminusoneblade_imp said:
Funny, I was looking at a 2017 at pretty much the same time. The salesman even moved some other bikes so that I could have a better look. It's gorgeous.

What is it about inline 4s that took you a while to get used to? Can you elaborate?

Thanks,
Nate
VLJ - re the squealing brakes on your CB ........ have you tried, for lack of a better term, "brake paste" or "brake grease?" I've used both the tacky paste and heavy brake grease on the backs of the pad backing plates, and squealing went away. My W650 sounded like a train coming into the station until I did the 'fix.' Apparently the noise is caused by high frequency vibration between the backs of the pads and the caliper pistons. Don't recall other specific bikes, but I've owned a couple where the squealing was eliminated this way.

Bob
 
VLJ_imp said:
Regarding the '17 CB1100 vs the T120, I remain slightly torn. Each bike offers a few definite advantages. The CB absolutely outhandles the Triumph. The '17 Honda steers and turns so much more effortlessly than the T120, and its upgraded suspension is markedly superior. Helping the Honda's case is its matching 18" wheels with slimmer tires, and much wider handlebars. Whereas the Triumph steers very truckishly, due to its overly narrow handlebars and mismatched wheels and tires, the wonderfully balanced Honda handles like a much lighter bike. To me, that is the Honda's greatest advantage over the Triumph. That heavy-steering front end was the one aspect of riding the Triumph that bothered me, whereas the smooth, effortless handling of the Honda is the one aspect that I truly enjoy whenever I ride my CB.

Only time will tell, but I feel that the Honda offers superior long-term reliability, along with a slight edge in the looks department. The Triumph looks nearly perfect; about as perfect as a modern retro can look, given that it's saddled with a radiator. It's not a big issue with me. Compared to Kawasaki and their Z900RS, Triumph did a great job of minimizing the visual impact of that tall, narrow radiator. Still, the no-radiator look is better. The Honda with nothing but its four cascading downtubes and glorious cylinder fins looks so much cleaner and classier. Also, the welded seams on the T120's tank are a serious eye-sore, especially compared to that elegant seamlesss tank on the '17 CB.

The other main advantage I would give to the Honda is its smoother fueling and easier clutch. My CB1100 has the best low-speed throttle response/clutch take-up I've ever experienced. The Triumph's isn't bad, but the Honda's is a bloody miracle.

Lastly, the brakes. The Honda's are better. Despite being the heavier machine, the Honda simply turns and stops better than the Triumph.

On the other hand, the Triumph has a few advantages, as well. For starters, it sounds and feels cooler to me. I prefer the Triumph's smoother P-Twin throb and deep rumble to the CB's high-frequency buzz. The CB is smooth as glass from tickover to 3,500 rpm, and again from 5,000 rpm to redline, but between 3,500-5,000 rpm the I4 buzzing is borderline annoying. I never find the Triumph's vibrations to be anything but pleasant and satisfying. Similarly, the '17 Honda sounds really good, and certainly better than the 2013-2014 CB1100, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Triumph.

Sound and feel preferences are entirely subjective, of course. Whereas mickey is put off by the Triumph Twin's thumping character, I definitely prefer it. I enjoy the feel of the Honda motor, most of the time, anyway. I love the feel of the Triumph's motor.

I also prefer the Triumph's slimmer build, lower seat height, and superior legroom. Overall, I prefer the T120's seating position.

I would need to ride them directly back-to-back now, because I sure didn't notice it when I rode the Triumph before, but the Triumph is supposed to be a lot torquier than the Honda. When I rode the T120 (three times), I always came away feeling that the bike was only barely punchy enough to be do-able. With the Honda, I do sometimes long for more torque down low, and certainly more power up top, but it generally feels about the same as the Triumph, in terms of low-down grunt. It shouldn't, either. The Triumph makes a ton more torque and power than the Honda down low, plus the Triumph weighs less. The magazine testers all seem to agree that the Triumph has a lot more motor than the Honda, 90% of the time.

I don't know. Like I said, to me they felt very similar. I do know, however, that there is no fun to be had in revving out the Triumph. All its power is concentrated right at the bottom. There is no point in revving the thing. There are no rpm to play with, and the power tails off so early that it's a moot point anyway. At least with the Honda there is still a bit of extra power to play with above 5,000 rpm.

I said earlier that the Honda has superior brakes, and it does, with one caveat. For the 2017 model Triumph added rubber dampers to the front rotor mounts, eliminating the chronic brake squeal of the 2016 model. In that regard, the Triumph beats my '17 EX, the incessant brake squeal of which continues to annoy the ever-loving crap outta me. I remain steadfast in my opinion that the '17 EX would be a perfect motorcycle, at least for what it is, if only the brakes didn't squeal, and the motor didn't have that vibey patch between 3,500-5,000 rpm.

Meanwhile, the Triumph would be the perfect bike—again, for what it is—if it had lighter steering, better overall handling, no unsightly tank seams, and more motor, especially up top. For me, the perfect Triumph would be a T120 with the Thruxton/Speed Twin 17" wheels, steering geometry, and 'HP'-spec motor. The T120 looks so much better than the new Speed Twin, which needs the new Scrambler 1200's seamless tank and level tank and tailsection, rather than the forward-canted mess that it sports now. (Thanks again, mickey, for ruining the Speed Twin for me!)

Right this moment, having owned the '17 CB for almost a year now, I would be hard-pressed to choose between my CB and a new T120. Were it not for the brake squeal, I would likely still opt for the Honda. Because of the brake squeal, however, I might go for the Triumph now, just as a change of pace, to try something different. Two weeks into T120 ownership, however, I would likely miss the Honda's superior handling and overall refinement, and regret my choice.

They're both beautiful, flawed bikes. The Honda is less flawed. The rest is mostly down to subjective preferences, so just buy the one that tugs hardest on your heartstrings.
A nice piece of writing VLJ.
 
Thanks VLJ for that very thoughtful comparison. It's consonant with what I've read but nice to hear first hand. I have a buddy who just ordered the T120 diamond edition. It'll be nice to try it out, and, if I buy a 2017 CB, maybe conduct a little comparison of my own.

And Ohiorider, thank you. I think I get it. I've only ever owned 2 cylinder bikes. Definitely accustomed to how they feel. The old Guzzi visibly rocks back and forth at idle. Shocks the heck out my younger friends. But the higher revving Ducati loses it's lub-dub lub-dub v-twin thing at pretty much all speeds except stopped. It's hard to hear behind the dry clutch clang-clang-clang anyhow.
 
ohiorider, yes, on three separate occasions we've tried using carbon grease or a dedicated anti-brake-squeal product, along with filing down the edges of the pads. After the first two failed attempts I tried switching the pads, again with the addition of brake grease and filing down the pads. No luck.

I don't know what else to try.
Capo, I mentioned the new Speed Twin in my little write up in this thread. Aside from some aesthetic quibbles, I need to see how much forward lean it has, compared to the T120. Otherwise, yes, that looks to be the best Triumph Twin for me so far.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Every time I ride my CB 1100 I think "what a great motorcycle". Not kidding...every time! Said it on this morning's ride.

My brother has a 2016 T-120 and it's every bit the equal to the CB performance wise. I have ridden it several times. What absolutely bugs me when I ride it is the thump you feel when riding it. My 2003 360 Bonneville was so much smoother than the 270 degree crank model. It's not a vibration, it's a thump. Like 1 cylinder is firing hit or miss.
I could not live with that, but my brother doesn't mind it at all. He notices it, and comments on it, he just doesn't mind it.
^ +1 ABSOLUTELY :)
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
ohiorider, yes, on three separate occasions we've tried using carbon grease or a dedicated anti-brake-squeal product, along with filing down the edges of the pads. After the first two failed attempts I tried switching the pads, again with the addition of brake grease and filing down the pads. No luck.

I don't know what else to try.
Capo, I mentioned the new Speed Twin in my little write up in this thread. Aside from some aesthetic quibbles, I need to see how much forward lean it has, compared to the T120. Otherwise, yes, that looks to be the best Triumph Twin for me so far.
Fortunately, the brakes on my 2014 CB1100 standard don't squeal. I'm not a hard rider, so the brakes don't get a real work out every time I'm out for a ride. I've not had to 'brake grease' them so far.

Hope you're able to isolate the cause and fix it. Squalling brakes would be really distracting on such a smooth bike as the Honda.
 
The irony is that the brakes only squeal under the lightest, softest, most gradual slow-downs, just as I'm rolling to a stop.

Hard braking? No squeals.
 
Same with my CB and FJR, although it's not every time, but happens randomly.
 
VLJ_imp said:
The irony is that the brakes only squeal under the lightest, softest, most gradual slow-downs, just as I'm rolling to a stop.

Hard braking? No squeals.
I seldom used the rear brake on motorcycles unless I was going down a gravel or sandy hill. But my 2017 EX has forced me to release the front brakes and use the rear brake just before coming to a stop to avoid the embarrassing and annoying front brake squeal. Unfortunately that means you only have one boot to put down which can be awkward on a 560 pound motorcycle.
 
+1 random. However, I have pinned one corner case usually in early spring/fall season mornings when the air is cool'n'damp but the sun is a shinin'. It takes several stops to work out the disk squeal.
 
VLJ_imp said:
The irony is that the brakes only squeal under the lightest, softest, most gradual slow-downs, just as I'm rolling to a stop.

Hard braking? No squeals.
Just brake at the very last minute and hope for the best.....
 
Back
Top