2016 CB1100EX vs 2017 CB1100EX

Jfro5687_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,

Has anyone ridden both versions of the EX model and if so were there any significant differences? I am close to buying a late 2016 model with very low miles. I like the colour. I know there are some cosmetic differences which don't bother me and I quite like the more boxy petrol tank with seams that all the journo's jump up and down about. So thats not a problem either .

I know Honda went to great lengths with the CB so does it automatically mean the latest model is 'better' than the earlier one? I know what the 2017 model is like but i cant easily get to test ride this one you see.

Kind regards jon
 
Besides the different fuel tank, which you already mentioned, there are three other main differences between the '16 and '17. The least important one would be all the extra bling on the '17, what with the additional chrome and aluminum pieces, the LED lighting, and the spoke wheels. The second difference is more noticeable from the saddle, and that is the new exhaust note. The '17 has a deeper, meaner, louder rumble, with a much more V4-style tactile feel throughout the bike, largely due to the new exhaust system. The final, most important difference, is the '17 has vastly improved suspension, compared to any previous model-year CB1100.
 
I suspect the 2016 UK EX has spoked wheels. The kicker remains the upgraded suspension.
 
Sometimes I think I'd like to be more of a connoisseur of finer things. I had a '14 standard...I have a '17EX. For the the life of me I couldn't tell the suspension difference between the two. I'm not saying there isn't, it's just that I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling more...or less of. I suppose it's my not-very-aggressive riding style.

.........:biker:......................................:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:
 
pdedse_imp said:
Sometimes I think I'd like to be more of a connoisseur of finer things. I had a '14 standard...I have a '17EX. For the the life of me I couldn't tell the suspension difference between the two. I'm not saying there isn't, it's just that I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling more...or less of. I suppose it's my not-very-aggressive riding style.

.........:biker:......................................:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:
Maybe lying on the gas tank while killing a turn? :-/
 
Back about 2006 my son had a 2004 Yamaha FZ-1 and I had a 2001 FZ-1 just like it. Same color, only the motors were different colors. The hot thing on the FZ-1 forum was to have Traxxion put in AK20's in the forks and a custom heavier spring in the rear. Was supposed to "transform" the handling of the bike. All it did for mine was transform my wallet much lighter. Hopping back and forth between mine and my sons, they felt exactly the same. I don't have a discerning enough tush to tell the difference I guess. Look close and you can see the AK20 stickers on the lower fork tubes.

31c56931953e4e8be0dd02c799961626.jpg
 
You probably won't notice much difference when you're just slowly cruising around in joyride mode. Ride each model hard on a proper twisty road riddled with bumps, however, and the difference will be obvious.
 
VLJ_imp said:
You probably won't notice much difference when you're just slowly cruising around in joyride mode. Ride each model hard on a proper twisty road riddled with bumps, however, and the difference will be obvious.
When I was 18 I had a Kawasaki KLE250 2 stroke--my very first bike--and took some twisty curves in nice hard mode, well I should say I took 4 curves just fine, but it was that 5th one where I got in some left over "sand-the-snowy-roads!" residual at the edge, bounced down left on the pavement, slid a fair number of meters, bounced up and over the still sliding motorcycle, tumbled a few times and ended up on the grass with still running bike a few inches from me. Ever since, I just get a tingly feeling down my spine when I get too spirited on the proper twistys...I always wimp out and back off. I know it's a mental thing, but at this point I'm comfortable with how I ride.

However, now that you mention "riddled with bumps" I do recall that the '14 seemed not to soak those up very well, and I haven't noticed the same on the '17. Again, I'm not doubting the suspension is better on the '17...but maybe some high percent of that is lost on me. Glad others appreciate it though!
 
It's those bumps in the road that tell the tale. On the '14, the wheels simply deflect off of those bumps. Jarring, confidence sapping. On the '17, the wheels soak up those bumps, and the bike continues to track straight and true. That additional plushness doesn't only give a more comfortable ride, it also makes for greater confidence when you push things a bit. Instead of bumps to avoid, you look for apexes to attack.

Minus any bumps, and ridden slowly enough in a straight line, any suspension feels fine. See...Davidson, Harley. It's only once you begin to ask things of the boingy bits that real answers are given.
 
VLJ_imp said:
It's those bumps in the road that tell the tale. On the '14, the wheels simply deflect off of those bumps. Jarring, confidence sapping. On the '17, the wheels soak up those bumps, and the bike continues to track straight and true. That additional plushness doesn't only give a more comfortable ride, it also makes for greater confidence when you push things a bit. Instead of bumps to avoid, you look for apexes to attack.

Minus any bumps, and ridden slowly enough in a straight line, any suspension feels fine. See...Davidson, Harley. It's only once you begin to ask things of the boingy bits that real answers are given.
For some, the jarring experience is excitement stirring. Never considered it confidence sapping.
 
VLJ_imp said:
It's those bumps in the road that tell the tale. On the '14, the wheels simply deflect off of those bumps. Jarring, confidence sapping. On the '17, the wheels soak up those bumps, and the bike continues to track straight and true. That additional plushness doesn't only give a more comfortable ride, it also makes for greater confidence when you push things a bit. Instead of bumps to avoid, you look for apexes to attack.

Minus any bumps, and ridden slowly enough in a straight line, any suspension feels fine. See...Davidson, Harley. It's only once you begin to ask things of the boingy bits that real answers are given.
+1

When I had my BMW F800GT with electronically adjustable rear suspension damping, people would get on the forum and say, "The modes are all the same. Doesn't make any difference switching between them." When I would ask, turns out they were just switching modes while just riding in a straight line on smooth pavement and wondering why nothing perceptible occurred.

2ab72d961d0abc2eeec09af14201bf08.jpg
 
Stichill_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
It's those bumps in the road that tell the tale. On the '14, the wheels simply deflect off of those bumps. Jarring, confidence sapping. On the '17, the wheels soak up those bumps, and the bike continues to track straight and true. That additional plushness doesn't only give a more comfortable ride, it also makes for greater confidence when you push things a bit. Instead of bumps to avoid, you look for apexes to attack.

Minus any bumps, and ridden slowly enough in a straight line, any suspension feels fine. See...Davidson, Harley. It's only once you begin to ask things of the boingy bits that real answers are given.
+1

When I had my BMW F800GT with electronically adjustable rear suspension damping, people would get on the forum and say, "The modes are all the same. Doesn't make any difference switching between them." When I would ask, turns out they were just switching modes while just riding in a straight line on smooth pavement and wondering why nothing perceptible occurred.

2ab72d961d0abc2eeec09af14201bf08.jpg
Incredible some people would say that. That is some lazy ignorance. :(
 
I think my point was that you can spend a lot of money on suspension and unless you ride like a road racer over bumpy roads you might not get anything out of it. The two or 3 guys on a forum recommending these suspension changes as bike transforming never mention that. Most how to set up suspension articles, videos etc have the same issue as if everyone wants their bikes setup for road racing, while others just want a smooth compliant ride at normal riding speeds on normal roads.
 
I'm not talking about road racing. I'm talking about twisty country roads riddled with bumps, ridden somewhat aggressively. The improvement in the suspension doesn't have to with any additional stiffness, either. Nope, it's the plushness, the compliance, which, in addition to allowing the bike to handle more competently, also makes for a more comfortable ride.
 
Stichill_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
It's those bumps in the road that tell the tale. On the '14, the wheels simply deflect off of those bumps. Jarring, confidence sapping. On the '17, the wheels soak up those bumps, and the bike continues to track straight and true. That additional plushness doesn't only give a more comfortable ride, it also makes for greater confidence when you push things a bit. Instead of bumps to avoid, you look for apexes to attack.

Minus any bumps, and ridden slowly enough in a straight line, any suspension feels fine. See...Davidson, Harley. It's only once you begin to ask things of the boingy bits that real answers are given.
+1

When I had my BMW F800GT with electronically adjustable rear suspension damping, people would get on the forum and say, "The modes are all the same. Doesn't make any difference switching between them." When I would ask, turns out they were just switching modes while just riding in a straight line on smooth pavement and wondering why nothing perceptible occurred.

2ab72d961d0abc2eeec09af14201bf08.jpg
+1

When I had my BMW F800GT with electronically adjustable rear suspension damping, people would get on the forum and say, "The modes are all the same. Doesn't make any difference switching between them." When I would ask, turns out they were just switching modes while just riding in a straight line on smooth pavement and wondering why nothing perceptible occurred.

98d502b21c299e4c224630c2319fd10a.jpg

As an aside, I just used that picture for my background on my work computer. It's how I feel everyday working with the youth of today.

Back to regularly scheduled programming.
 
Hi, is there any diff regarding the oil-radiator's dimensions? I wish to buy the Yoshimura radiator guard, but the fitting table agrees up to 2016 model for the EX and 2017 for the RS. Does that mean that the EX of 2017 has q different size? Thanks for the help.
 
Back
Top