2016 CB1100

Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I was talking to the rider of a retro-styled Triumph today who postulated that American CB buyers, much like those of other like machines are relatively affluent, old, fat, bald, out of shape white guys wanting to re-live the past. A market that is dying out. On that note, I find it of interest that all the Asian CB Face Book sites I frequent seem to be populated by energetic, enthusiastic young people, who I assume have to be pretty financially successful since as best as I can tell, CB's aren't inexpensive there.
don't they have the perfect word for that too, its been called here already: hipsters
 
IF they do bring out the concept bike posted else where here, as the 2016 model I think they "may" steal some Bonnie customers. The new Bonnies, at least in the photo's, do not look as handsome as the current crop. I reserve the right to change my mind once I see them in the flesh. That said, the CB looks good in photo's and darn good in person. Still, I think hipsters prefer singles and twins.
 
I think it's the weight. If the bike came in at 480lbs and 100 hp it's competition would be the Ducati Scrambler, not the Bonnie. And those Scramblers are selling quite well.
 
Huh the scrambler is worlds apart from the CB...you even said the biggest difference, horsepower and weight.

No, the Bonnie is his closest competition, the new T120 that is.

Dual disc brakes with ABS.
Dual analogue and digital display, incl gear indicator.
15nm more torque! Horsepower figures and weight unknown..
Electronic slipper clutch.
Tractioncontrol.
Ride modes!
Heated grips as stock!! (expensive option at Honda)
LED lights.
USB connection.

And if thats not enough, cheaper than a CB that has far less (electronic) gizmo's stock...
No doubt the Triumph is much more attractive, on paper. :)

Still I prefer the CB even after Triumphs updated Bonneville...:biker:
 
I was just noting some reasons for disappointing sales. I'm aware the two bikes as currently made are very different. Carry on.
 
I can share that I was just at my local dealer and he let me go through his 2016 Honda Redbook list of models and there were no CB1100s on the list. Also no CTX1300, No ST1300 except for the Police Model, no NC 700.

There was a Goldwing, an F6B, CBR1000, CBR 600, CB 500F and X, CBR300, Fury, Rebel 250 and NM4. Magazines are reporting an updated NC700x but it was not in the book.
 
Sorry for turning left a bit here, but I really thought the CTX1300 would be a winner... Great motor, although Honda should have attached 6 gears instead of the 5. When I bought my '14 CTX700 a year ago I sat on one... and my opinion mellowed some: HEAVY and a bit wide in the hips. All the same, a smooth motorcycle. Guess it just didn't "take".

... Now back on track.
 
There are a LOT of good bikes out there so you can't just bring a "good" bike to market and do well without a great hook. The CB1100 had very good hook, but the target audience was small and it appears no effort was made to expand it. When the original CB came out it killed the Bonnie in price and performance. In the retro market looks is much more important and the Bonnie has a classier classic look than the CB. It has a couple generations of British singles and twins behind it; the CB just has the UJM inline four look going for it - not quite the linage and history going for it. So in this redo the Bonnie is doing better. In my ever so humble opinion anyway. :D

But it makes me wonder how a redo of the CB-450 Black Bomber would do. And for Pete's sake, bring the GB500 back! Maybe as a 650.
 
I think a reintroduced GB500/650 would do fairly well, but like the CB, the audience is probably limited. It was retro when it first came out, so the next iteration would be retro-retro?
 
A lot of guys wish they had bought a GB500 when they were out, I wonder if the same folks would sit on their cash the second time around. :D
 
Well if people are not happy with the hp of a CB 1100 the hp of a GB500 will leave them laughing.
 
Rboe_imp said:
There are a LOT of good bikes out there so you can't just bring a "good" bike to market and do well without a great hook. The CB1100 had very good hook, but the target audience was small and it appears no effort was made to expand it. When the original CB came out it killed the Bonnie in price and performance. In the retro market looks is much more important and the Bonnie has a classier classic look than the CB. It has a couple generations of British singles and twins behind it; the CB just has the UJM inline four look going for it - not quite the linage and history going for it. So in this redo the Bonnie is doing better. In my ever so humble opinion anyway. :D

But it makes me wonder how a redo of the CB-450 Black Bomber would do. And for Pete's sake, bring the GB500 back! Maybe as a 650.
The CB1100 is a reminder of the most legendary bike ever made, the CB750, if that isn't linage and history, I don't know what is.

Marketing plays a great deal in image building and sales, and Honda didn't do their best in that area for this specific bike.
 
In the U.S. at least, I think it's much bigger than young people not buying CBs. I see relatively few young people on motorcycles--period. But if I had a dollar for every bald-headed, pot-bellied, old bastard I saw getting on or off a motorcycle, I would be an affluent man.

Disclaimer: I resemble the rider description above...
 
Ferret; I think the problem is perceptions. A 500cc bike gives a person different expectations and perceptions than one labeled 1100cc's. Magazines don't help matters as the young writers seem to be HP fanatics. Which is not helped by folks that get fatter as they get older and "need" more hp just to maintain a certain performance level. This segways into another topic - your coffee shop or cafe bike. I'll start a new thread for that. :D
 
^^^ I agree. I'd wager there are countless KLR, V7, 883, Enfield, CBR250R, etc. riders who are delighted with their bikes and don't care about hp ratings.
 
Even if they don't offer the 2016 model of the CB1100 in the USA (because all the fanatical geezers bought theirs) be grateful that there is still a thriving market for the bike overseas. Then we can scour the Japan or UK or EU or AU sites for accessories that fit our bikes.

Even if Honda does release an updated version of the CB1100 overseas, since the basic frame/engine/running gear are almost the same many of the nice new parts will probably fit our older bikes.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
I like riding a minority and being a majority (old, fat, w/hair). I used to tell my customers when they came into my shop that with one of my custom made purses that "They would never see themselves coming around the corner". I can say that everytime I ride my CB, as most here can (except at the Rally !). That's something HD and sportbike riders can't say. Sport bikes and baggers all look the same to me.
 
Back
Top