2014 Won't Shift Out Of Neutral...

HeavyMetalMech_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all,
I have a 2014 I bought new in August. I haven't ridden it for a few weeks but it doesn't shift out of neutral without shutting down no matter if I shift up or down. Has anyone experienced this and what was the fix? The bike doesn't have the first 600 miles yet and I wasn't sure about adjusting the clutch but maybe the next step. Thank you.
 
sound like you need to get it to a dealer. I don't recall anyone on this forum having this issue.
 
Sidestand switch is essentially a kill switch when in gear.

- - -

Dumb question HMM: How is the engine idle? Too high?

Nevertheless, as Ferret suggested, sounds like it is covered under "new" warranty.
 
Have you tried when rolling? I've had trouble switching gears a couple times at a stop, but usually rolling the bike forward a bit while trying fixes it.
 
IMH, I think the problem is that, when HMM puts the bike in gear, the engine stops running.
 
Hmm cCormanus you made me think of something.... clutch interlock switch left handlebar, not plugged in well.

I thought his transmission was malfunctioning , but I'll bet it's that switch.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
IMH, I think the problem is that, when HMM puts the bike in gear, the engine stops running.
Does that imply a defective side stand switch, or as already mentioned by the Forum, side stand switch cabling? Didn't think of Ferret's idea of clutch interlock switch (or its cabling).
 
Good thinking Ferret. I had some trouble with mine at one point. I think the connection had worked loose.
 
In 2013 it was an issue. Don't remember anyone complaining in 2014 though, but it's a simple check and fix it that's the issue, just push the plug back on the connector.

here's a thread about it but my pic is gone

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1001&highlight=clutch+interlock

edit still had pics on file

cef95e5f894e98252c9de35baf92e205.jpg


e7d2ed02e6782453b3d79da0b79d27b5.jpg
 
Not sure we're on the same diagnosis. Symptom is that engine dies when put into gear.

You can always start the bike in neutral, with or without pulling the clutch in, and regardless of sidestand position.

If the sidestand is up, pulling in the clutch engages the clutch safety switch which allows you to start the engine when it is in gear.
If the sidestand is down the bike won't start in gear, regardless of clutch pulled in or not.

As long as the sidestand is up, you can put it in gear with or without the clutch pulled in, and with the clutch switch connected or disconnected, and the engine will not shut off. (Try it on the centerstand if you're curious.)

The clutch switch circuit only affects starting. The sidestand switch can shut off the engine. If the sidestand is up and the neutral light is working, I would still look at the sidestand switch circuit.
 
Me too. But, as I recall, the problem I had was that, if the bike stalled, I couldn't start it in gear with the clutch pulled in, even though the centre stand was up. I had to put it into neutral, start it, and then put it back in gear. The problem resolved when I fixed the connection at the clutch lever Ferret refers to.
 
Right. The clutch switch affects starting. I too was going to mention the clutch switch, but the O.P.'s issue seems to only affect the bike after it's running in neutral.

It really points to an issue with the side stand switch. I had a similar issue last year when I found that the side stand had only partially retracted. Not quite far enough to activate the switch, which caused symptoms identical to the O.P.'s. Every time I tried to put it in gear, the engine would die.
 
It would be nice and useful to all of us that after a problem is solved the original poster comes back to the Forum and tell us the outcome. Many times we never hear anything again !
 
Generally seems that way. But we all have our daily life interruptions and sometimes it is difficult to get back to it right away. Let's see how it unfolds.
 
Back
Top