2014 vs. 2017 Maintenance Differences

iamheero_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So I went from a '14 to a '17EX recently and was checking out the maintenance schedules in the instruction manuals. Who doesn't read manuals for fun? :rolleyes:

Since I did all the maintenance on my '14 I figured I was all set, not THAT much has changed, right? So imagine my curiosity when I saw the oil change and filter replacement interval have both doubled to 8,000mi and 16,000mi, respectively. I always thought 4,000mi intervals were a little conservative especially since I was using synthetic anyway (Rotella T6 5w40 I think, the recommended 10w30 isn't really rated for southwest US summers), but since the job is so easy I didn't really mind doing it anyway.

Anyone know why they changed it up? I noticed the valve clearance checks are the same, for what it's worth.
 
No, but I think there’s previously been speculation that it was based on the experience of previous models being reasonably bullet proof.

I thought the interval for checking the valve clearances had also changed.
 
hmmm interesting.... personally I'm going to keep changing the oil and filter together at 4000 mile intervals. Old habits die hard
 
Changing more often is definitely not a bad thing, especially if one is subject to alotta traffic-based mayhem in summer. If your engine/gearbox is healthy, then I suppose the only things getting hit is the pocketbook and the environment (i.e. waste processing).
 
Every 6Km, oil and filter OEM = my standard..
...and u never regret buying bike/auto from me..
:)
 
Mine too. I was scheduled to change the oil in three of my bikes last month, but didn't get around to it. It's now so darn cold in my garage that it'll have to wait until April.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Mine too. I was scheduled to change the oil in three of my bikes last month, but didn't get around to it. It's now so darn cold in my garage that it'll have to wait until April.
:D :D :D many of my friends laugh at me when I start that procedure the first week of November. Do it while it's still relatively mild I say before it's too cold to work in an unheated garage.
 
Rocky_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Mine too. I was scheduled to change the oil in three of my bikes last month, but didn't get around to it. It's now so darn cold in my garage that it'll have to wait until April.
:D :D :D many of my friends laugh at me when I start that procedure the first week of November. Do it while it's still relatively mild I say before it's too cold to work in an unheated garage.
I do mine on the back patio, no garage. A garage would definitely be useful to shelter the hands from the arctic wind.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
No, but I think there’s previously been speculation that it was based on the experience of previous models being reasonably bullet proof.

I thought the interval for checking the valve clearances had also changed.
You're correct, I was reading that wrong- valve clearance checks are every 8k in the '14 booklet, 12k on the '17.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Mine too. I was scheduled to change the oil in three of my bikes last month, but didn't get around to it. It's now so darn cold in my garage that it'll have to wait until April.
I finally decided to take action to solve this specific problem. It's so nice to work on the bikes in a warm garage!


 
I need one of those lol. Do you get condensation on the metal parts when you heat up the surrounding air?
 
These heaters are nice to heat up a large area quickly , used them in Upstate NY to heat up my garage if I wanted to work on my bikes.
You need fresh air to come in and they can get smelly.
 
Houtman_imp said:
These heaters are nice to heat up a large area quickly , used them in Upstate NY to heat up my garage if I wanted to work on my bikes.
You need fresh air to come in and they can get smelly.
Yes, you have to leave a door ajar or you get headaches. They are very loud. Good leg warmers though. I finally had a shop heater installed. Best 2.6 kilobucks I ever spent on the garage. It will get the garage up to 70* F on the coldest days here in an hour. Use it almost daily.
 
I enjoy maintaining my bikes for personal pleasure, but also to avoid paying the dealer to do it. I'd love to have a $2000 garage heater but the cost would blow my bike-maintenance budget. That would make for a very expensive oil change! Plus, I'd probably burn down my house. And my neighbor's.
 
Yes there’s some condensation on metals but not nearly as much as I expected. Actually the condensate mostly seems to form on the roof; if I run the heater a long time it can “rain” 3 or 4 drops here and there. This heater burns clean and I don’t get headaches. There’s less kerosene smell than you get sitting in an airplane at the gate.

For $250 bucks or whatever it cost, it’s great to have. Actually I was more surprised by the cost or kerosene: over USD $4.25 / US gallon.
 
Stichill_imp said:
Yes there’s some condensation on metals but not nearly as much as I expected. Actually the condensate mostly seems to form on the roof; if I run the heater a long time it can “rain” 3 or 4 drops here and there. This heater burns clean and I don’t get headaches. There’s less kerosene smell than you get sitting in an airplane at the gate.

For $250 bucks or whatever it cost, it’s great to have. Actually I was more surprised by the cost or kerosene: over USD $4.25 / US gallon.
It is also worth getting a thermostat for the heater , they can be set away from the heater
 
Back
Top