2014 Honda CTX 1300 ?

Jayimpalaman_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Anyone rode one and if so did you like it. I am thinking about getting one. They are going for a great price right now. No 2015 coming but, lots of 2014 models around. Maybe someone knows someone who has one. Thanks all. And God Bless..




Jayimpalaman





jcherry5858@gmail.com
 
We have a forum member (Huladog) who sold his CB and about a CTX1300. I bought his old aftermarket muffler. I asked him his thoughts and he kindly wrote a detailed account of the bike. I took a excerpt which I hope helps and hopefully he won't mind me reposting.

"For your dad, let him know the bike isn't light since it weighs 750 pounds. 200 pounds more than the CB1100 which is a compact, dense mass. CB1100 actually weighs about the same as a late model Sportster which I rode before. The CTX1300 does have a low center of gravity, but lifting it off the side stand does take a bit of effort so don't let that discourage him. Easier than lifting up a Harley Road King or Street Glide or a Moto Guzzi California which I also checked out.

My pants inseam is only 27, I swear I used to wear 29 inseam pants but my wife said not anymore! Reach to the ground is good, not quite flat footed but my balls of my feet are on the ground so I have a confident stance at stops and can push the bike backward when needed.

Seat is wide and comfortable, narrows a bit in front so the reach to the ground is easier. Plus the pegs are a bit mid-forward (not way forward like the CTX700 which was a deal killer for me) the reach to the pegs is easy, plus they don't get in the way when you put your feet down at stops.

Bars do reach quite a way back from the forks, the bike is stretched out in front of you. Not uncomfortable since you can rotate them easily.

The fairing mounted mirrors aren't so hot, like the mirrors were on the BMW RT, but if you rotate the bars down a bit you can see the mirrors but you do see your hands in the mirrors. I added some stick on blind spot mirrors and will install some regular bar mounted mirrors so that won't be an issue.

Fairing gives good protection and I ordered the taller touring screen since the stock low screen looks cool, but doesn't block much wind just like the Harley Street Glide.

Bags hold a decent amount of stuff, bolted on to the bike so not quickly removable like the BMW, but they are nicely integrated into the overall design of the bike.

The engine is smooth! Feels different than an inline 4 like the CB1100, good torque but took a little while to get used to it since its smooth and at first I wasn't familiar with the clutch feel and torque so I revved the bike a bit more than usual pulling away. Now that I'm used to it I love the V-4! Has a space ship whine to it at low revs along with a V-twin sort of sound that smooths out at higher revs and on the road I don't even notice that it only has 5 speeds since the engine is so flexible.

Tell your dad to just go check out the CTX1300, get over the slightly weird looks (tell him to pretend its from Star Trek or Star Wars), the engine and drivetrain is bullet proof from the ST1300 long proven to be reliable.

I feel no engine heat off the bike, unlike what the ST1300 riders gripe about.

One thing, if your dad has long legs his knees MIGHT bump into the valve covers since they are right in front of your knees, but I have no issues with my short legs and feel no engine heat."
 
I'm thinking of trading in my 2014 Harley Road king on a 2014 Honda CTX Deluxe in Candy red of course! Glad I found this thread, I'm so impressed with the CB1100 I think I want another Honda in the Stable!!
 
There are some good deals on CTX1300s right now. Going to be a one year model it seems. No 15 CTX 1300 in the line up. maybe it will be like the CB 1100 and come back in 16
 
I really like the CTX13. I prefer a sportier posture on a bike, but I think I would find it comfortable thanks to the middle position pegs. After demo riding some Indian motorcycles a couple days ago, I confirmed the foot forward cruiser stance does not agree with my back. I'm not quite ready to jump into the cruiser world.
 
So, I went and test road a used 2014 CTX1300 DLX today. I keep teasing my dad that he needs a baby Goldwing and thus does have the same vibe as the F6B. I wanted to see if I thought he might like it as a replacement for his current bike, a V-strom. His back is messed up and I thought the neutral position would suit him.

I was wrong, but I came across somewhat disappointed with it in general. The reason it won't work for him is because the choppy, stiff rear suspension transmits a lot of impact right up your spine. It's not easy to light off the footpegs to use your legs to absorb the shock.

The ride in general was too stiff and did not have any feeling of plushness like a Goldwing. The swept back bar and risers also transfer a lot of chatter from the front end. As expected, lean angle is limited, but the wide 200mm rear tire helps to keep you from turning in too quickly. Some people are ok with taking corners slow, though.

The biggest let down was the power train. I wish they would have left the power output the same as in the ST1300. While there was good mid-range, that was about it. The engine felt rough and weak off idle. It felt like it wanted the stall taking off despite a bit of throttle and clutch slippage. There just isn't much going on until 3000 rpm which doesn't lend itself to short shifting. Power signs off at 7000, so I found myself shifting constantly. It wasn't much run to run through the gears. The ST1300 is much more entertaining. There was also a lot of driveline lash with getting off and on the throttle.

This bike was used and had the taller Honda windscreen. I still heard a lot of wind. I'm 6'1" with a 34 inch inseam.

I did find the linked brakes to be nice. I like having the front brake step in with a little stab of the rear brake pedal. The feel at the lever was similar to that of the CB.

I suspect this may be why these are slow sellers. This dealer has had this used one for months and have several new ones on the showroom floor.
 
Too bad it didn't work out.

This comment made me laugh

"Power signs off at 7000, so I found myself shifting constantly. It wasn't much run to run through the gears. The ST1300 is much more entertaining. "

I have had my ST 1300 for nearly 60,000 miles and have ridden it from Maine to North Carolina, to California to Washington State.

I have never seen 7000 rpms. I don't know that it's ever seen 6000 rpms. I'm pretty sure it's seen 5,000 rpms though. Spends most of it's life at 2500-3500 rpms.

Edit... Thinking about it though Honda reduced the HP from 124 on the ST to 88 on the CTX. Maybe that's the difference.
 
For giggles, you may want to test ride the Moto Guzzi 1400 California. This is a sleeper cruiser that handles. A buddy has one and loves it for longer road trips (he owns several Guzzi's as well as some wacko dirt bikes).
 
The ferret_imp said:
Too bad it didn't work out.

This comment made me laugh

"Power signs off at 7000, so I found myself shifting constantly. It wasn't much run to run through the gears. The ST1300 is much more entertaining. "

I have had my ST 1300 for nearly 60,000 miles and have ridden it from Maine to North Carolina, to California to Washington State.

I have never seen 7000 rpms. I don't know that it's ever seen 6000 rpms. I'm pretty sure it's seen 5,000 rpms though. Spends most of it's life at 2500-3500 rpms.

Edit... Thinking about it though Honda reduced the HP from 124 on the ST to 88 on the CTX. Maybe that's the difference.
36 less hp and more weight will do that. It just felt strangled. The ST is already a less peaky, torquey engine compared to it's inline 4 sport touring competition. Seems pointless to water that engine down.
Rboe_imp said:
For giggles, you may want to test ride the Moto Guzzi 1400 California. This is a sleeper cruiser that handles. A buddy has one and loves it for longer road trips (he owns several Guzzi's as well as some wacko dirt bikes).
The day my Dad considers anything Italian will be a cold day in you know where. I see no reason to be like that, but it's his money. Not sure if the local Guzzi dealer does test rides. The Ducati dealer does, and the Diavel Strada's would be pretty cool. Actually, I found the ergos on the Multistrada to be quite agreeable.
 
the_undecider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Too bad it didn't work out.

This comment made me laugh

"Power signs off at 7000, so I found myself shifting constantly. It wasn't much run to run through the gears. The ST1300 is much more entertaining. "

I have had my ST 1300 for nearly 60,000 miles and have ridden it from Maine to North Carolina, to California to Washington State.

I have never seen 7000 rpms. I don't know that it's ever seen 6000 rpms. I'm pretty sure it's seen 5,000 rpms though. Spends most of it's life at 2500-3500 rpms.

Edit... Thinking about it though Honda reduced the HP from 124 on the ST to 88 on the CTX. Maybe that's the difference.
36 less hp and more weight will do that. It just felt strangled. The ST is already a less peaky, torquey engine compared to it's inline 4 sport touring competition. Seems pointless to water that engine down.
Rboe_imp said:
For giggles, you may want to test ride the Moto Guzzi 1400 California. This is a sleeper cruiser that handles. A buddy has one and loves it for longer road trips (he owns several Guzzi's as well as some wacko dirt bikes).
The day my Dad considers anything Italian will be a cold day in you know where. I see no reason to be like that, but it's his money. Not sure if the local Guzzi dealer does test rides. The Ducati dealer does, and the Diavel Strada's would be pretty cool. Actually, I found the ergos on the Multistrada to be quite agreeable.
My dad was like that with Japanese motorcycles when I wanted one in 1964. Stayed that way until he got too old to hold up his Harleys and switched to a Honda CB 350/4. Then he became a believer lol
 
I sat on one before I bought my CB1100....I'm now curious....I don't remember ever having this problem when I younger, but even with an air-hawk, I can't last very long on my CB....does that big wide seat on the 1300 extent the ride time any?
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I sat on one before I bought my CB1100....I'm now curious....I don't remember ever having this problem when I younger, but even with an air-hawk, I can't last very long on my CB....does that big wide seat on the 1300 extent the ride time any?
I was on the bike maybe 20-25 minutes, so seat comfort was not an issue. It's a fairly soft seat, so I wouldn't expect it to be supportive enough on long rides. I like a well shaped, firm seat. Given the lack of rear suspension compliance, a firm seat might not work out so well.
 
The CB's seat is thin low density foam an a light seat pan. If you are a man of substance like me I have no doubt the foam compresses and the bottom rests on the seat pan or touches it on bumps. I had same experience on my CB an hour of comfort at best.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I was thinking of this thread this morning at our Guzzi breakfast. A buddy (owns a 1400 California, a Stelvio and a Griso - he has a things for Guzzi's) had taken the CTX 1300 for a test ride and was most impressed with the power.

His impression is polar opposite of yours. No shrinking violet with the throttle either, but he has dialed it back from his younger days. At least with his street bikes. Still acts like a kid in the dirt. :)
 
Rboe,

Why did they lower the HP from the ST version of the engine?
 
I first heard about that fact here. I'd could offer up a guess, an ill informed guess at that. Sorry.
 
I want 1! I think it will make a perfect stable mate for the CB! I've read the torque curve is down low and actually have heard the St 100 would be better off with the re-tuned CTX engine, I haven't test ridden 1, nor did I test ride the CB, just went with my gut.
 
Was curious if anyone here had bought 1. I found a lightly used deluxe in Red that I couldn't pass up on. Sold off the Versys and VStar 950 to make it happen. It has some short comings, the side bags are ok but prefer a top loading instead of the side loading configuration. I know it's de-tuned to go after a more laid back audience and that fits me fine but the riding position and seat are spot on for me and the led lights are impressive at night. I loved the look when it first came out but the msrp was out of my league so I was very surprised to see the prices drop making this one doable. Helped that both the CTX & CB came out in red and not detracted by it being a 1 year model if they don't bring it out again at some point :) I enjoy the spaceship sound too.
 
Back
Top