2014 DLX - Honda luggage rack question...

Barkingshins_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm considering ordering the Honda luggage rack (08L70-MGC-A40) for my '14 DLX but before I do so, I have a question...

I currently own, use and rather like the Tourmaster Select saddle bags - same ones The Ferret uses I believe. From looking at the pictures of the Honda rack and how it installs, I kinda suspect that it's going to make continued use of my saddle bags difficult, if not impossible. Has anyone found this to be the case?

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Brian
 
Unfortunately I can't help you with the saddle bags but I was wondering where you were going to order the rack from. I've seen prices $300 and up but was surprised Samurider had them for about $178 if memory serves correctly for my standard. Yours is $217 although a slightly different part number (08L70-MGC-N40). I didn't check shipping but that's a nice savings!
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
Unfortunately I can't help you with the saddle bags but I was wondering where you were going to order the rack from. I've seen prices $300 and up but was surprised Samurider had them for about $178 if memory serves correctly for my standard. Yours is $217 although a slightly different part number (08L70-MGC-N40). I didn't check shipping but that's a nice savings!
Thanks for the tip! I just sent him a quote request.
-Brian
 
. No problems with Honda rack and tour master bags I also have the tail bag by tour master. Easy


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Good to know. Thank you all for the insight.

I got the quote back from Takashi for the rack - $290 with shipping. I'm thinking I'll just order it from BikeBandit - $300 with shipping and get it much quicker.

Brian
 
$284 including shipping to California....Babbitts online...use promo code COMEBACK 10 for the 10% discount......shipping might be less to Minneapolis
 
Thread starter
Desert viper_imp said:
$284 including shipping to California....Babbitts online...use promo code COMEBACK 10 for the 10% discount......shipping might be less to Minneapolis
Thank you! Shipping was the same. Ordered.
 
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.
 
Mandrau_imp said:
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.

f966c7a98c608ec3c64ae591e77225bf.png
88bd59085e99175f888db2eee7c5153b.png
. Glad it worked for you.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Mandrau_imp said:
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
 
jtopiso_imp said:
Mandrau_imp said:
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist...
 
Mandrau_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Mandrau_imp said:
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist...
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist... That would only be legal in Canada and Holland.
Mandrau_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Mandrau_imp said:
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist...
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist... That would only be legal in Canada and Holland.
 
Houtman, what do you do when you modify or edit a post?
 
I did not even modify this one !, something strange is happening when I post something , often is shows 3 times ! (Russians hacking my computer ?)
 
Mandrau_imp said:
jtopiso_imp said:
Mandrau_imp said:
Thanks to DSAN1964 for posting the pics of the Tourmaster Saddlebags fitting with the luggage rack. I had been installing the Tourmaster Bags over the seat and that did not work after installing the luggage rack. The under seat installation works and their is enough clearance over the muffler.
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist...
Does that leave room for a passenger?

thx!
I think accessing the passenger foot pegs would be difficult as they are underneath the bags. Maybe if the bags were empty they could be flattened enough to allow access but not sure this would work. Now if a passenger wrapped their legs around my waist...
X'D I'll take that as a "no"
 
Could I get pictures without the bags and details of the Honda racks you referred to? I have Nelson Rigg waterproof roll top panniers but cannot see how I could mount them over or under the seat as the rear direction signal lights are in the way?
 
So glad this site exists! This is how I discovered that the OEM carrier (travel rack) is different for my '14 DLX than the standard. Having the correct part # [08L70-MGC-N40] was only half the battle, though... Couldn't locate this in any USA site - kept redirecting me to the rack for the standard [08L70-MGC-A40]. Ended up ordering from Samurider... Another source I learned of from this site!
 
Samurider is great! Mr. T is THE MAN!
 
Back
Top